MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live webchat with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingsta ll - Thursday 15th September 1.30 - 2.30 pm

(215 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Sep-11 14:55:50

To celebrate the publication of his new book Cottage Veg Every Day and accompanying Channel 4 Series which starts on Thursday 20 October 20. Hugh is joining us this Thursday (15 September) between 1.30pm and 2.30pm for a live webchat. As well as being an award-winning cookery writer and broadcaster and founder of River Cottage, Hugh is also involved in a number of campaigns including Hugh's Fish Fight, Chicken Out and Landshare.

Join us on Thursday to quiz him about his campaigning, cooking veggies and tap into his knowledge of rearing livestock, growing produce and, of course, cooking and baking. If you're unable join us on Thursday, send your advance questions to this thread.

All mumsnetters who send in questions to Hugh will be entered into a draw to win one of five copies of River Cottage Veg Every Day. We'll announce the winners post webchat.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 20-Sep-11 12:43:25

You can now see the full archived webchat here:

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall webchat

AmberSkye Mon 19-Sep-11 15:50:26

Brilliant - Hugh is an inspiration in the kitchen grin) Really looking forward to what he has to say...

Squigglywiggly Fri 16-Sep-11 13:55:17

Hello - my husband and I (plus 9 month daughter if blackberries are somewhere near!) have been inspired by the river cottage series of foraging books. We have recently made pontack sauce with some elderberries and wonder if there are any vegetarian dishes that it will go with? smile

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Sep-11 11:33:50

Bad joke - I know, sorry for my grammatical error everyone.

shock singular vs plural!!!!!! And I didn't notice until reeling pointed it out!

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Sep-11 11:04:29

what's up wi that ?

reelingintheyears Thu 15-Sep-11 17:09:02

*Congratulations to :
fivegomadindorset, ladymalham, soandsosmum, HowlingBitch and Blatherskite who has each won a copy of Hugh's latest book*

Tut tut.

Who have each won a copy etc.wink

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 15-Sep-11 16:47:59

Huge thanks to Hugh for being so unflappable (we were running late, couldn't get into the building and then had wifi probs blush. Once we'd logged in though he was off! and there was no stopping him and it's great to see he got through so many questions. Congratulations to :
fivegomadindorset, ladymalham, soandsosmum, HowlingBitch and Blatherskite who has each won a copy of Hugh's latest book, River Cottage Veg Every Day. We'll be pming you shortly with more details.

twolittleboys Thu 15-Sep-11 15:07:23

Hi Hugh - we have recently discovered the health benefits associated with Sweet Potatoes, but not sure the best / nicest way to cook them, also it would be great if there was a way they could be cooked and then eaten cold (as in a 'potato salad' type dish) - do you have suggestions? Thank you.

HorseHairKnickers Thu 15-Sep-11 14:53:51

Thanks Hugh smile

Lissachick Thu 15-Sep-11 14:43:58

Hi Hugh ! We have a fairly big garden and have been growing veg and now have chickens ! But not succesful growing lettuces due tto bugs and pigeons is there an organic/natural spray we can get to stop the bugs ?? i want to be abel to spray and eat veg without havign to wait so many weeks before we can ! Also any ideas for a main meal using potatoes as got tonnes this year ! we have lots of herbs and somethign a bit spec be great ! If you ever Essex way pop to Rayleigh ( even put you to work !!!)
sorry reposting !!! grin

TheRhubarb Thu 15-Sep-11 14:36:46

Thanks for answering my fish question however I'm strugging to think of where the nearest fishmonger is - does Morrisons count?

I shall try fillet of mackerel, I'm not convinced but I will give it a go.
We do try to keep the old tradition of Fish Fridays, so I'll see what the family think when I serve up mackerel and chips.

ireallyagreewithyou Thu 15-Sep-11 14:35:24

vair good hughster.

kids all alive, well and thriving.
no allergies, no issues

AuntieMonica Thu 15-Sep-11 14:34:01

i think i've spotted a fantastic thread topic for AIBU, do you have to nip off after this, Hugh?

AIBU to not give a stuff about sustainability because I'm not a mum?

shock

<nudges hugh wink>

HughFearnleyWhittingstall Thu 15-Sep-11 14:32:58

Goodbye Mumsnet thanks for having me, it's been lovely chatting with you and let's do it again soon. Meanwhile big up the veg - you know it makes sense.

ComradeJing Thu 15-Sep-11 14:32:10

YY Nessa64

papworth Thu 15-Sep-11 14:31:28

Thank you. I'll definitely try it.

crispyrolls Thu 15-Sep-11 14:31:19

Thanks Hugh, much appreciated

HughFearnleyWhittingstall Thu 15-Sep-11 14:30:39

ireallyagreewithyou

Hugh, i dont give a toss about sustainability, organic, vege, anything

persuade me to care...

I've spent a good chunk of my life trying to persuade people to care about these things, so I'm not sure what I can do for you in a few seconds... Saying you don't care about sustainability is the same as saying you don't care about your children's future. Are you really a mum wink ?

Hennypenny11 Thu 15-Sep-11 14:30:01

Thank you Hugh, I shall get a copy just in time for this years season!

xJessicasMummyx Thu 15-Sep-11 14:29:32

Hi Hugh, Pleeeeease answer the question I posted about promoting baby-led weaning. So interested to hear your response! bats eyelashes wink

HughFearnleyWhittingstall Thu 15-Sep-11 14:29:21

papworth

Do you hae an exciting idea for runner beans? There always seems to be a glut of them? thanks x

I love cooking them now with garlic and tomatoes into a lovely luscious bean stew. That then keeps for quite a few days in the fridge and is still delicious every time you reheat it . I've also just done a delicious recipe for the new show of runner bean tempura with a sweet and sour chilli dipping sauce.

papworth Thu 15-Sep-11 14:29:16

Glad you and your son are Ok after the Sidmouth lifeboat picked you up the other day

ouryve Thu 15-Sep-11 14:28:51

Thanks, Hugh. This year's premature crop of green tomatoes (my hanging tomato plants were pulverised by the wind on Monday) is probably a bit titchy, fruit size wise, to do that recipe justice. I suspect that some of what I have on my kitchen windowsill at the moment is going to end up roasted and thrown in with some rip tomatoes in a pasta sauce, or something. They really do look quite sad after their ordeal.

IAmAsparagus Thu 15-Sep-11 14:28:41

Hugh, you're an inspiration. Looks like I've found another book for my Christmas list. smile

I seem to be drowning in herbs, any ideas how to preserve them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now