PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. It's not the place for promoting other campaigns or petitions. If you do that here, we will either delete your thread or move it to a more appropriate place on our boards.

Would you support a campaign to get all consumers onto the 'cheapest' energy tariff?

(33 Posts)
RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Oct-12 13:05:58

Hello

We've been approached by a group of campaigning organisations who want to call on the government to consider measures obliging energy companies to switch users to the lowest available gas and electricity tariffs.

You may remember that David Cameron caused a bit of a stir when he referred to this at Prime Minister's Questions a couple of weeks ago.

Opinions seem to be divided on this one. Some organisations say it's the best way to address what the public often see as the big energy companies 'fixing' retail prices. Others argue that it would be a policy disaster.

What do you think - is this a campaigning objective you'd like us to get behind? Let us know what you reckon.

Thanks
MNHQ

LineRunner Mon 29-Oct-12 22:32:06

Totally agree with that, mercibucket.

Zombieminx Tue 30-Oct-12 07:03:59

No.

The average "cheapest" tariffs would go up under such a measure, I suspect.

A cap on profits is never going to happen under a Tory govt either! But I'm sure that a tax on profits over a certain level, with the proceeds going into a hardship fund would be well received. As would a law forcing companies to decrease prices when oil prices go down, and a cap on price rises (like the train companies have).

mollymole Tue 30-Oct-12 10:15:41

Not a good idea IMO all it would do is encourage the energy companies to have a single tariff, that which is most beneficial to them, it would remove genuine choice of the 'cheapest' tariff or some other deal.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 30-Oct-12 12:01:50

Hi there

Thanks for all the input; looks like a fairly resounding 'no'!

Cap their profits, remove the VAT, regulate their fees.

Exactly this. If this Government is serious about lifting peolpe out of fuel poverty it would legislate so that that large (some overseas) groups of shareholders were not making a profit on the back of ever increasing prices.

ATM I think only the Co OP have any sort of ethical policies whatsoever and their hands are largely tied as they have to purchase the raw materials from the others.

hattifattner Wed 31-Oct-12 13:21:05

rowan, I think it shows a complete lack of trust in our utility companies, we all think they are grasping barstewards that will sell their own grandmother take advantage if they see a profit in in. There are no altrusitic or ethical suppliers.

DrJac Tue 06-Nov-12 16:05:32

No.
As stated above this would reduce competition and just mean that the lower tariffs would be withdrawn.
More important is to force a switch to renewable energy production and make it clear that the global fuel companies are making a profit by risking our children's future.

bureni Tue 06-Nov-12 16:10:06

I do not have any choice since we only have 1 energy supplier for gas and electricty (N.I) so there is no competition just high prices, thankfully I use no oil, gas and little mains electric.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now