PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. It's not the place for promoting other campaigns or petitions. If you do that here, we will either delete your thread or move it to a more appropriate place on our boards.

defibrillators for sports centres

(5 Posts)
Olympia2012 Sun 13-May-12 13:54:38

Where would the money for this come from?

NatashaBee Sun 13-May-12 13:48:31

They are fairly common in the US, all public areas seem to have one. I went on a CPR course which covered their use - they really are simple (they will even track/check the patients heart rate and confirm whether defib is actually required), all you need to do is follow the very clear instructions.

Olympia2012 Sun 13-May-12 13:44:41

Can't see this happening!

sashh Sun 13-May-12 10:23:09

Swimming? I wouldn't one to defib someone who was wet - too much chance of burns and arcing.

The automatic ones can be used by a trained monekey but not on someone who is wet.

ellisbell Thu 03-May-12 08:46:20

On the news today there was a report of a father who lost his son to sudden death during a swimming lesson and his epetition for defribrillators in all public buildings (link below). While I wouldn't personally want to go that far I do believe they should be in all sports centres and possibly in all schools. I wondered if this was something mumsnet would consider supporting?

I'm aware that some people claim they are risky things to use, having seen the TV show where the equipment tells you how to use it and assesses the patient to see if they need it I think that's scaremongering.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/29399

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now