PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. It's not the place for promoting other campaigns or petitions. If you do that here, we will either delete your thread or move it to a more appropriate place on our boards.

We Believe You: EVAW's campaign about young people and sexual consent

(16 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 15-Mar-12 13:08:47

Hello everyone

A huge thank you to everyone who has posted, tweeted, or blogged in support of #webelieveyou. We're really thrilled with how it's been going, and we hope you are too.

Today, as part of the campaign, we're getting behind the End Violence Against Women coalition. Research has shown that rape myths are absorbed horribly early in life - around half of young men think it's OK to force a woman to have sex in certain circumstances, and one in three 16-18 year-old girls has been touched sexually, against their will, in school.

EVAW are calling on the government to tell schools that they must teach young people about sexual consent, and take girls' safety more seriously in schools. So if you've got a mo, do write to the PM about it - there's more info here. As always, please do tell us what you think here on the thread.

And please don't forget to support our other campaign partners, Rape Crisis England and Wales. They're campaigning for funding for their National Sexual Violence Helpline, which is currently only able to answer a quarter of calls from women who've been raped or sexually assaulted. They'd like you to help, either by donating, or by writing to your MP or making a donation - you can find out more here.

Thanks again,

MNHQ x

ripsishere Thu 15-Mar-12 14:34:48

Can't afford to give any cash I'm afraid.
My MP is going to love me. It's about the fifteenth time I've written to her despite only living her for six months or so.
Well done again MN for highlighting this.

this is great. will the we believe you campaign be getting involved in fighting the cuts to funding for shelters and support services for victims of domestic violence? that's a really important issue.

sorry if i missed something where you already are.

Selks Thu 15-Mar-12 18:55:16

Well done MNHQ for getting stuck in to this issue. Great stuff.

MadameBoolala Thu 15-Mar-12 21:32:34

I am very happy about this Mumsnet.

edam Fri 16-Mar-12 13:31:49

well done MNHQ. Is it possible to send the letter to the PM via email?

HeartyBoom Fri 16-Mar-12 14:48:52

Amazing stuff MN!

LeninGrad Fri 16-Mar-12 16:30:29

Full support this, would be good if the links on Twitter and the main We Believe You page linked directly to this thread for this though.

Fraktal Fri 16-Mar-12 17:25:33

Go MNHQ!

AllQuietOnThePippisFront Sat 17-Mar-12 09:59:14

Great stuff. Well done.

idohopenot Sat 17-Mar-12 19:28:58

Is there anything we can send to schools, please?

ripsishere Sun 18-Mar-12 06:41:49

Excellent point idohopenot.

Codandchops Mon 19-Mar-12 08:02:55

There is an organisation called Tender.org which promotes healthy relationships for the Under 25s and does work in schools about violence and abuse. Will see if I can find a link - there is also a toolkit which was developed a couple of years back about domestic violence in teen relationships.
Good campaign MN.

gooddryingday Mon 19-Mar-12 12:29:16

Well done on this campaign.

I have two questions.

1. Is there a Scottish link?

2. How can we help children who are disabled and vulnerable?

MuslinSuit Mon 19-Mar-12 16:26:16

So happy MN about this campaign thanks

Codandchops Mon 19-Mar-12 17:41:59

Excellent Home Office infor here about teen relationships and violence. Really worth a look - as a health worker I have seen DV become a real issue in the Under 25s and although there are still more male perpetrators than female, a sizeable minority (which appears to have increased) is female to male violence. Doesn't help that for both sexes it is under reported and anything which raises the issue for discussion is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now