This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

Special needs and nappies: campaign WIN!

(74 Posts)
RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 18-Aug-10 15:57:45

We're delighted to announce that we have received a letter from David Cameron in which he agrees with us (and our partnering organisation Every Disabled Child Matters) that the rationing of nappies for children with special needs is 'inappropriate'. He says:

'I know, from my own experience, how important such supplies are, and how difficult it can be to rectify the situation if parents are not getting what they need. I also remember how strongly many parents feel about this issue following my earlier online chat...

The best practice guidance... states: 'Pads should be provided in quantities appropriate to the individual's continence needs. Arbitrary ceilings are inappropriate.' Riven, and a number of your members, have helped to highlight the fact that arbitrary ceilings are nonetheless being used in some areas. That is why the Secretary of State has asked the Chief Executive of the NHS to remind PCTs' Chief Executives of the content of the 2000 guidance.

I hope the action that we have taken will make a difference.'

You can read more about this on EDCM's website here. Please keep us posted on this; we will be seeking to ensure that the PCTs follow through on this advice, but we'll need you to help us do that.

Tee2072 Wed 18-Aug-10 16:26:03

WHOOO WTG Mumsnet and EDCM! And, of course, Riven. grin

SagacityNell Wed 18-Aug-10 16:26:09

yay!

So how many is that that we have battled and defeated this year?

Asda
Dr Pepper
Coca cola?(did i imagine that one?)
who was it that took some clothing off sale as part of the let girls be girls thing?

booyhoo Wed 18-Aug-10 16:32:27

wahey, MN at it's best!!

that's really great. i hope it does make a real difference and all those MNers get the benefit of it.

sarah293 Wed 18-Aug-10 16:38:53

Message withdrawn

Would love to see Riven's face when she reads this.....

Valpollicella Wed 18-Aug-10 16:42:25

Hurrah!

Well done all!

grin at letting DD widdle on him

sarah293 Wed 18-Aug-10 16:43:18

Message withdrawn

Good oh! grin

edam Wed 18-Aug-10 16:46:37

well done! riven, I'd get a copy of the letter from DC to MN if I were you and send it to your PCT chief exec.

sarah293 Wed 18-Aug-10 16:48:45

Message withdrawn

Am not going to make cheap remarks at his expense as to why he didn't contact Riven... wink grin

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 18-Aug-10 16:52:44

Riven, if you email me your address (campaigns@mumsnet.com) I'll print you one off!

Heartsease Wed 18-Aug-10 16:57:40

grin

tabouleh Wed 18-Aug-10 17:08:14

Well done Riven! grin

Ineedsomesleep Wed 18-Aug-10 17:12:13

Well done MN and of course Riven grin Hope you and your DD are feeling much happier. Did you ever have to chain yourself to the railings?

Jamieandhismagictorch Wed 18-Aug-10 17:42:12

Well done. All concerned should be very proud. Good old MN

5inthebed Wed 18-Aug-10 17:46:15

Well done MN, EDCM and of course the front woman herself, Riven grin

instructionstothedouble Wed 18-Aug-10 17:59:29

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

WreckOfTheHesperus Wed 18-Aug-10 18:03:49

Excellent news, well done all smile

Madascheese Wed 18-Aug-10 18:12:28

Riven you're a total star, now, since you've got so much free time now can you come and sort out this problem I've got with slow service at my local DVD rental place? grin <runs for cover emoticon>

Seriously my hat is firmly tipped at all of you Excellent job.

<applauds>

sarah293 Wed 18-Aug-10 18:19:56

Message withdrawn

shall I call the local paper, or would this embarrass you?

saintlydamemrsturnip Wed 18-Aug-10 18:49:09

Oh I had no idea there should be no arbitary ceilings. My pct has one. I think I will contact then to ensure they stop.

this is brilliant news grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now