Out n About Nipper, Mountain Buggy or Baby Jogger best for twins?

(13 Posts)
mandasand Fri 21-Dec-12 10:17:20

Help: which pram?! I'm 29+3 with twins so it feels like we really should decide.

-- Ideally we only want to buy one pram to last till about 4yrs old.
-- We don't, at present, have a car so this will be our main mode of transport.
-- Budget is probably £600 max. (MiL paying and she spent £400 on a single buggy for another grandchild.)
-- Twin-parent friend has given us newborn inserts and winter muffler things so we won't have to buy all the expensive accessories as well.

I have zero experience with prams, but have been in various stores and pushed a lot of twin buggies around and these are my top three, listed in order of preference:

1. Out n About Nipper Double 360 V2 Twin
2. Mountain Buggy Duet Double
3. Baby Jogger City Mini Double GT 2012

The Nipper is top because it's light and turns really well. It also looks like it wouldn't object to being pushed along the (wide and well maintained) towpath with me jog-shuffling behind it (in due course!)

The Mountain Buggy feels more compact and the build quality and material more robust. But I'm not sure how you're supposed to get to the shopping basket which is tucked right underneath ... or at least with my bump I got stuck trying in John Lewis earlier this week!

Nipper seems to come out on top in reviews and amongst friends, but any other thoughts? Are there a.n.other prams we should be considering in the mix?

Thanks! smile

ClairesTravellingCircus Italy Fri 21-Dec-12 11:20:38

Hello Mandasand

Can't help you with your question but you may get more info in the pushchair section.
You might get more traffic there

mandasand Fri 21-Dec-12 11:56:31

Ohh, thanks! Hadn't spotted that area of MN!

Nancy54 Fri 21-Dec-12 14:58:31

hi manda,

my twins are 12 weeks and i've got the mountain buggy duet. im really pleased with it and find it really easy to use, very narrow, etc.

I've got the carrycots which have been really great for when they're little but i think i'll start using the forward facing seats after xmas. it would be out of your budget to buy the carrycots though unless you get the buggy second hand.

i've also got the car seat adapters which are great and i use loads but if you havent got a car i don't suppose you'd want them!

all the best for the rest of your pregnancy

Nancy54 Fri 21-Dec-12 15:04:24

i don't know anything about the other two you mentioned so they could be better but i would just check how wide they are - the great thing about the mb is that you can get it through all standard doors and that's not the case with most side by side double buggies i don't think.

Nancy54 Fri 21-Dec-12 15:08:20

ps i don't find the shopping basket a problem - think it's prob your bump that was making it feel difficult!! smile

mandasand Fri 21-Dec-12 21:58:20

Nancy I think you're absolutely right about the bump getting in the way! I just can't imagine being able to move easily or quickly ever again at this stage!! smile Thanks so much for your help.

AllTerrainMammy Fri 21-Dec-12 22:12:43

We have the single 360 Nipper and it is fantastic! We live in a very rural area and I go out jogging with it and it is brilliant and very easy. I have friends who have the double version and say exactly the same about it! The only down side for me is that it is not parent facing!

Enjoy shopping for your new pushchair and good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy and the birth of your twins.

ingse Fri 21-Dec-12 22:40:26

We had a tandem for using with car seats until twins were around 20 weeks. super handy. But they just got too heavy. Ww got BJ GT. We were choosing between Nipper v2 and BJ. Nipper looks a bit more compact, and slightly easier to push, however, my 20 week olds were way too snug. And I wanted it to be the last buggy. I think it is 70 cm wide and seats sit inside the wheels, when BJ seats are over wheels IYSWIM... BJ GT is 74cm wide. I havent got stuck anywhere yet grin
A big plus for BJ were separate and massive hoods that go very low.
I am not sure, but i think nipper seats dont go entirely flat, so probably best to check that out if intended to use from birth.
Good luck wink

We have the Nipper, and we had Phil and teds cocoons clipped in (just using the straps) when they were newborns, which was awesome for things like docs appts when you need to carry 2 at once.
It is awesome to push and has done some serious offloading with us (do make sure you order a spare tyre though). Front facing wasn't a problem when they were little as they slept so much, but now they're older it would be handy, I don't know if snyone makes rear facing toddler twin buggies though.
It is a bit big in some shops, and doesn't fold very flat, so public transport can be tricky. You wouldn't be able to fold with 2 small babies anyway though on your own.
Some days I cursed the lack of travel system, but if you don't have a car that's probably not an issue. Think it would be very heavy to push a MB with 2 car seats anyhow.
Duet is definitely smaller, so if you live somewhere with old buildings/small shops might be easier.

Off roading, not loading...

Celestia Sun 23-Dec-12 19:29:33

We have the Nipper for our 11 week old twins.

Pros...very light to push, easy to steer even 1 handed, lots of storage, good raincover, goes brilliantly over rough ground, seats go pretty flat and they seem very comfortable with newborn inserts in them, lovely big hood.

Cons...heavy to put in boot (not an issue for you though), not the easiest to fold and clip together (maybe mine is a bit stiff being new?), tips up quite easily if you have a bag on the handle but this is getting better as the twins get heavier, it can be difficult to get round some shops if the aisles are close together but we've got through most doorways, no option to clip a car seat on (again not an issue for you).

Overall, we're happy with it and can see it lasting into toddlerhood (all the childminders that pick up from my dd's school have them).

mandasand Mon 24-Dec-12 09:47:24

Thanks for these really useful thoughts, everyone! So valuable to have everyone's perspectives.

Happy Christmas, everyone [fmsile]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now