Mixed Race Hair

(555 Posts)
KatieMac Sun 31-Oct-04 15:57:15

If I start it here they can move it to the right place (If they decide to start a topic (& ever decide what to call it))

where do I start......

SkaffenAmtiskaw Fri 26-Oct-12 20:03:57

Misslala, my dd's hair gets washed at most once a week, usually it's every other week or so, a lot less if in plaits/cornrows (we usually get that done at a salon for the summer holidays). Usually we have a "refresher" in between two washes, where she gets it really wet and I comb it through with, funnily enough, the little miracle conditioner. I don't think it's a good idea to wash very curly hair too often as it's so very dry. Also I simply don't have the time to do the whole routine so often as I work full time and she goes to her dad's every other weekend.

Inneed, that's a good tip about the Lidl conditioner. I'll check it out next time I'm there. And yes, the Teri/tightly curly method is with conditioner and denman brush.

Good luck with all the curls! smile

misslala1987 Fri 26-Oct-12 20:19:24

i might check out the lidls ones, though if it contains parabens ill give it a miss, im really trying the more natural root. dont really like the smell of the body shops stuff but naked's range is lovely. timotei have a lovely 2 in 1 with almond oil and vanilla extract. just really need a good detangler and curl creme/enhancer. im trying to find really one range to stick to for the moment as have heard when you use products of one range it all entwines together and works well. ah the business of hair! knew i should have studied hair at college lol x

Inneedofbrandy Fri 26-Oct-12 20:48:24

The Lidls one is very very very fab I cannot recommend it enough! Make sure its the one for coloured and damaged hair.

misslala you don't need to detangle her curls everyday, just once a week/ or the fresh up after you've washed it smother her hair in the Lidls conditioner (have not got a clue about parbons) and brush through with a denman brush, then run your finger tips over sections and leave! I plait it to go to bed then in the morning go over with my spray bottle (with lidl conditioner and water) then add glosser. (you don't have to add glosser but my dd hair is thin and frizzy and it helps, you could if worried about chemicals just use olive oil) If you start this I promise your dc hairs will grow lovely and be in the most nicest condition. and it takes less then 5 mins on a morning

LDNmummy Mon 26-Nov-12 23:37:16

I just posted this on another thread in Multicultural families but wanted to add it to this one too:

Mixed race hair which has even a little African to it is the most fragile of all hair types. I come from 3 generations of mixed heritage people so please trust me on this. Especially if its curly or going to be curly IYSWIM.

DO NOT USE JOHNSON'S PRODUCTS ON YOUR BABY AT ALL!

They are horrible products and my GP told me she has seen countless cases of children with inflamed, dry, scaly, and eczema ridden skin and scalp because of parents assuming Johnson's is the best thing to use. My DD had inflamed eczema patches after we used Johnson's bath soap on her.

With my DD's hair I don't use anything with sulfates and was only washing it with a silicone free conditioner at one point. It was the Tresseme naturals conditioner without silicone, but I found that her hair is prone to build up so I looked high and low for a PH neutral and all natural shampoo.

The shampoo I use now is called Allergenics and it's sold in Holland and Barret. I was also using it for my own hair but it didn't suit my hair type. Holland and Barret have recently started stocking a pretty substantial range of Paraben and SLS free shampoo's so I bought one from the Dr Organic range and found that suited me much better. I would recommend trying Allergenic's first as that is even better for fragile baby hair as its made to be as gentle as possible for people who suffer allergies to common hair products. If that one doesn't suit then try one of their other one's like the Dr Organic range. I had the worst dry, itchy scalp before using these products but it disappeared within two washes with Allergenics and Allergenics is not medicated, it really is great stuff.

After shampooing once every week (sometimes every four days depending on sweat/ dirt build up and other factors) I condition with the Tresseme Natural's conditioner and my DD's hair is soft, shiny and defined.

When she needs a touch up, I rinse her hair in the bath and condition it with the Tresseme conditioner without shampooing. When rinsing conditioner out I leave a tiny bit of it in the hair to act like a leave in conditioner. If I need to tidy it up while its dry, I take a very tiny amount of coconut oil and rub into into my fingertips before running them through the end of her hair and using my fingers instead of a comb to brush it through where it has knots and tangles.

Coconut oil is the only oil out there that can get through to the dermis of the skin and also penetrate the hair shaft. Because of that I highly recommend it for hair and body moisturising. Plus, my DD likes to try and eat body creams so with the coconut oil I don't have to worry if she does this as it is also great for eating as an everyday food and very healthy. Just a plus if your LO is like that too.

And of course I never use a brush or comb on her dry hair and I always use a wide tooth comb.

Wow! I had a lot to say, but hopefully something in there helps grin

justhayley Tue 01-Jan-13 10:17:43

I'm 28 mixed race and still havnt sorted out my hair! My mum is White and growing up was brilliant with my hair. She always use detangling sprays and leave in conditioners. I had super curly hair which although was lovely when done would frizz like mad an hour after leaving he house. Growing up I hated my hair and always wanted it straight. When I got to a teen I started using home relaxers which broke my hair and i ended up loosing he length - which broke my mums heart. For the last 6 years iv had full head weaves so my natural hair can grow. For the first time 2 weeks ago I ot it relaxed properly as it's really grown since having a baby and the condition is lovely. However it still fuzzes and I still hate that sad my mum as a White women always felt pressure to make sure my hair and skin were immaculate, 28 years ago she used to get enough abuse about having a mixed race baby so didn't want to give people anything else to comment on.

Oh so happy I found this thread. 2dd's with very curly mixed race ringlets.

I use the Naked shampoo and conditioner and curl creme - from boots. Best I've found without getting into silly prices. No cones, rich conditioner, cream is fab. I wash and detangle weekly.

My issue now is DD2, 19mo needs a cut. The thought if taking her to a salon makes me shudder. She can be very LOUD.

So I'm thinking sit her in high chair in front of tv?

Then what? Any ideas? Anyone done this? I'm thinking keep it short while I can - how to shape it?

SkaffenAmtiskaw Mon 07-Jan-13 22:06:00

Hi HipHop, in my experience, stay away from the cutting... I did try to cut my dd's very curly hair, and made a real mess of it. Curly hair is very hard to cut! I'd take her to a salon if you really want her hair to be cut, but make sure it's one where they know how to cut curly hair: not all hairdressers are good at it! Good luck whatever you decide smile

Leafmould Mon 07-Jan-13 22:22:13

I second that. A hairdresser friend of mine cut my dd hair, and afterwards told me that they had never cut a curly head in college! She had no idea how hard it would be and it was a cock up. All forgiven and grown back now!

shrimponastick Wed 09-Jan-13 09:01:43

Ooh, just seen this thread.

DS (15) has a father of jamaican descent, and i am white.

From the age of 1 he has had a no.1 all over. Which is easy to keep up, and suits his face shape.

However as he has got older he has decided he wants to grow it - and he hasn't had it cut since the end of last summer.

Am a bit stuck on what products to use. He does need to wash it at least three times a week, or else it smells.

After reading through the most recent posts on here I think I will check out the Naked range in Boots as a first port of call.

SkaffenAmtiskaw Wed 09-Jan-13 16:20:20

Shrimp, I'd say washing three times a week is too often! Does it really get that smelly? My DD's hair only gets washed once a week at most, most of the time it's every other week, and it doesn't get smelly. If it's washed more often it gets incredibly dry and frizzy.

anee90 Fri 08-Mar-13 13:13:25

Palmers Cocoa Butter for skin! Especially in winter! Try using afro product for hair as the usual stuff will definitely dry out hair. Dont wash hair too much, once a week or twice a week is fine. Brands such as Organic Root Stimulator, SoftnFree, Pink, Motions. Or try a products which have black people on the package this generally a good indicator.

Ask some black mothers at your children's school or partners family!!

Cover their hair at night time time this will reduce the matted look. Don't Straighten hair till at least 14 upwards as completely ruins hair structure for ever. When introducing straightening make sure to use hair protection serum/ heat protector (again an afro hair care one will work best).

Wilkinson also sell black hair care products!

other tips: Wide tooth combs for, Cream everyday!!! It is the saddest thing to see dry skinned children. also try to moisturise hair using a pink hair lotion or other curly hair lotions.
The key to afro hair is moisture, it get dry its dead. so after washing and drying add a lotion. If cant get any product can use some olive oil or e-oil, not too much though.

Hope this is helpful.

robdan Thu 28-Mar-13 11:22:20

my dd is 18 months and still doesnt look like she has much hair lol
the back where it wore off when she was a baby is still a bit bald but when i wash it its about an inch long the it dries and its tight curls lol
its really really dry and course and the back so just looking for advice on whats best to use?
thanks

BirdStrike Sat 30-Mar-13 00:44:06

Hi robdan, if you read through the thread you'll see lots of different suggestions. I think you're going to have to try a few things and see what works best with your dd's hair.

Personally I like Naked products because they are mostly natural and I don't like heavily scented products. They are also not very expensive and easy to find (Boots stock them and they can be ordered online).

I don't tend to use products from Afro hairdressers because the are often very artificially scented, especially the kids stuff (bubble gum type perfume, OK if you like it but I don't!).

Anita Grant has also nice products but they are a bit pricier. The babassu shampoo bar in particular is fantastic.

KatyMac Thu 10-Oct-13 23:48:07

9 years on & the struggle with DD's hair continues

Despite it being a Zombie thread I thought it deserved reanimating

17 threads about DD & her hair!! But we are getting somewhere Herbal essences, Aussie & MorroccanOil products and she does look lovely (IMO)

Anything new going on with Mixed race hair?

Tametangles Thu 24-Oct-13 21:11:43

Hi Katy, there are some fab products for mixed race hair. I work in this industry. Mixed race hair is hard work but the right products can make it a little bit easier.I have twin daughters with beautiful bum length mixed race curly hair. Olive oil mixed with water is a great detangler,natural and virtually free. Afro products are not suitable for mixed hair types...too greasy. Thankfully there are now products coming onto the market specifically for mixed hair. Mixed Chicks is a favourite of mine. What products have you tried? I do also use Moroccan Argan oil. It's nourishing and healing for mixed race hair. It's benefits are second to none. Hope that helps smile

KatyMac Thu 24-Oct-13 21:17:20

I think Mixed Chicks made it crispy

The morrocanoil is a brand the actual argen oil is too heavy

Herbal essences without salt & sodium hydroxide seems to be the way to go but you have to read every bottle as they keep changing the recipe; I've just found some in an old fashioned type bottle which looks very good (how long it'll be available tho')

We get it right sometimes & we get it wrong sometimes - but it's never easy

GreenMouse Tue 03-Dec-13 22:18:35

I love that this thread is periodically resurrected smile I've been on it since the beginning but have name-changed a few times since smile

My dd (who is a bit younger than yours Katy if I remember correctly) now prefer her hair straight now sad

She has lovely tight corkscrew curls on extremely thick and abundant hair, and we were getting somewhere with it using a combination of Naked Smooth shampoo and conditioner, Tresemme naturals conditioner and shampoo and home-made hair butters (her Nana brings back lovely shea butter from Ghana, which I turn into body and hair butters). I find that afro hair products tend to be very heavily perfumed and smell artificially sweet, IYSWIM. I can't stand that! I didn't like the Mixed Chicks products I tried, can't remember why but never bought again. Smell issue again I'm almost certain!

She would really like to have it chemically straightened but I have categorically vetoed that! Too risky IMO. Instead I've looked into Brazilian blow dry. In salons it's prohibitively expensive, but I have found the products on Amazon for under £30! It took about 6 hours to do the treatment though which explains the high price if done professionally: shampoo, then blow dry, then apply product, wait 20minutes, blow dry again, then straighten. I have to say the results are amazing, we've done it a couple of weeks ago and she's washed her hair a couple of times since (have to use salt-free shampoo, luckily Tresseme naturals fits the bill), the curls are much looser, the detangling is much easier, and the blow drying lasts much longer. The packaging says it should last for 3 months, we'll see...

HappyHair Wed 29-Jan-14 15:40:58

We are a group of hairdressers, braiders & barbers who would like to offer a hair care service (tips/advice) to children (using natural products) who are of black/mixed heritage and do not have access to this service where they live. We are targeting children in foster/adoptive care or children of mixed parentage. If this applies to you or someone who you know please could you to fill out this survey. Thanking you in advance. P.S Please LIKE our page.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GQQXXB2

blendkids Sun 27-Apr-14 15:27:01

Good to see all these comments. I have started a blog dedicated to just this at www.aidanandellie.com.
Hopefully, we can all share information on how best to look after our kids hair....
so far, the response to the blog has been overwhelming.

Serendipity30 Sun 27-Apr-14 21:13:37

My daughter is not mixed, however I would never straighten or use chemicals on her hair, please watch the documentary by Chris Rock called 'Good Hair'. Those chemicals are so dangerous to young children brain development and hair growth and yet people still do this because they think it will make their children hair 'easier to manage' with the right products Afro hair is not any more harder to manger than any other type of hair

monotone Mon 23-Jun-14 08:49:41

GreenMouse, how do you turn shea butter into hair butter? My DH brings it back from Togo and it's really lovely as it is for the skin, but useless for hair. My DD is 13 and has the same kind of hair as yours - likes to straighten it but would really prefer to keep it curly if only we could find the right products to keep it from 'puffing up' and getting all tangled and standy-outy... I'd love to try home made shea hair butter on it. Too many chemicals in most ready made stuff.

GreenMouse Tue 24-Jun-14 00:17:15

Monotone, I melt it in a bowl set over a pan of boiling water, together with olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, depending on what I've got. Any kind of oil really! I looked up some recipes online, there are quite a few around. Some call for a lot of different ingredients but all you need is shea butter and oil to soften it really. I do it by trial and error: melt the shea butter with some oil, let it cool down, if the consistency is not right, add more oil and melt it again, etc, until I'm happy with it. Hope that helps! smile

KatyMac Mon 21-Jul-14 20:26:53

As you can see, we have really good days (shown); but we also have really bad days (not shown)

Between washes is a nightmare - the first day is the only really good day

I'm sure there is more we could be doing & I have re-visited this thread to see if there is anything we could be doing better

How is everyone else doing?

GreenMouse Tue 29-Jul-14 22:39:58

wow Katy your dd is really pretty! and her hair looks very similar to my dd's, really tight ringlets and lots and lots of it.

Not going bad actually, she's started looking after it herself more but still likes me to detangle and then either smooth the curls or blow dry the lot after a shampoo. I do find, like you, that the first day after a wash is the best.

What do you do about getting it cut? Layers or not layers?

KatyMac Tue 29-Jul-14 23:39:34

Thank you - Not layers exactly but sort of shaped so she doesn't get too much of a wedge

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now