Annoying comments.

(9 Posts)
misslala1987 Sun 03-Jun-12 08:52:46

mixed race hair can be intimidating to some i guess. but how do they know it wont come out soft/wavy/straight? my children are half white british/half carribean and my daughter and youngest son have soft tight curls but i am able to my fingers through, though dont bother brushing unless wet, though it gets dry and tangled and needs added moisture its quite simple to look after. but my oldest son has hair more like an indian! its thick wavy could out a brush through it all day, doesnt actually need any added moisture. see what i mean? and why is that non blacks usually associate black people with having coarse/unmanagable hair anyway? black hair isnt straight forward and there are all different textures. my sister inlaw has straight long hair, its all her own hair and i dont think she ever uses relaxer. and just because your not black doesnt mean you cant educate yourself on black hair. lots of white and black mothers do short courses in braiding, twists, dreads etc because believe it or not, not all black people know how to do hair

pamdam Fri 01-Jun-12 21:47:40

my twins are mixed race, I'm African French and I'll take my daughter to the hairdresser because I won't know how to look after her hair properly. Ignore them, people are bored and need to be mean sometime :-)

Cheekychops84 Fri 01-Jun-12 10:55:37

im pregnant with a third girl and my first thought was oh no more hair to do in the morning !? lol was fun when i had my first i would do loads with it as the 2nd came i had to be quicker and less fussy now with a third thnk i will set my alram an hour earlier !

Mumcentreplus Wed 18-Jan-12 20:06:52

ignore ignore ignore...if you know what to do show your expertise when your boy is born...don't stress x

pinkthechaffinch Wed 18-Jan-12 19:57:06

sorry I don't know why I thought it was your dad who said that hmm

pinkthechaffinch Wed 18-Jan-12 19:56:27

it is annoying of your dad to say that

but

I have always found ds' afro hair has always been extremely easy to look after shave off

dd's hair, who is white, is a complete nightmare to wash, brush and style. God knows how I'd cope with afro hair on a female.

MentalMuslimMummy Wed 18-Jan-12 19:54:37

Isnt it ridiculous? Ive seen some poor kids (with black parents) going around with awful unruly hair! Being white also means that you may be a little bit more gentle with baby's hair, my caribbean friends are a bit rough with their kids hair and their own hair lol, probably because theyre so used to it and know how to plait it quickly. My friend's little girl is half white half jamaican and she has very loose curly hair, extremely soft, and white skin with big bluey grey eyes, beautiful! My stepdad is jamaican also with dreads and his two kids have totally different hair types. I hate how people can be so rude though with this idea of 'nappy' hair and 'good' hair, its all bollocks and its why so many black girls think having extensions is the answer. I love a well kept fro personally ;)

Adversecamber Thu 12-Jan-12 09:04:32

He will be beautiful and yours so everyone else can naff off.
I was born mixed race in the 1960's, ooh now that caused a huge furore, people gave my Mum bad looks in the street. At least times have moved on since those days.

My neighbour has dc of the same heritage as your DS and they are lovely children.

MummySunshine Wed 11-Jan-12 19:16:40

30 wks pregnant with a baby boy of mixed race (I'm white British - Dad is Jamaican)

Was told today 'oh well atleast it's a boy so you can shave his hair off'

Because clearly lovely thick curls are nothing but a pain. angry

People always also assume that because I'm white I will have no clue how to handle his hair.

GRRR

Rant over for now, but feel free to add on smile lol!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now