mixed race hair - what do you do?

(30 Posts)
flippyzippy Fri 16-Jul-10 15:27:30

Hello! My DD has a head full of curls. I call it Svinto! LOL! anyway, have tried loads of different things but she does NOT like me touching her hair so have to keep it to a minumum - either 2 or 3 pony tails (done rEAL quick) or just leave it down with a couple of clips.
I have tried different products. I found Curly Qs custard really good although it does cost £!2 which is pricey (i think).
I wash it 2 times a week. If neccesary maybe a rinse with some conditioner in between.
Was just curious as to what you have tried and what you thought worked best?

Delilah123 Mon 02-Jan-12 20:33:46
Mrsaniekwe Wed 21-Mar-12 23:18:01

SOFN'FREE N' PRETTY OLIVE OIL DETANGLER 355ML is the best stuff to use its about 4 pounds a bottle, I use it on my daughter to is mixed race her father is from Nigeria and I'm British.

Spray loads on at a time, use a afro cob and comb it thur, section by section.

only wash it once every 2 weeks as the hair can dry out.

BEAUTIFUL BEGINNINGS 2 IN 1 SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER 250ML best stuff to use on mixed race kids hair

anything you wanna know yet ask

blendkids Sun 27-Apr-14 16:34:03

Good to see all these comments. I have started a blog dedicated to just this at www.aidanandellie.com.
Hopefully, we can all share information on how best to look after our kids hair....
so far, the response to the blog has been overwhelming.

blendkids Tue 29-Apr-14 19:26:38

I have started a page dedicated to the care of mixed race hair.
I am after peoples view on different shampoos that they have used and which work.. please visit the blog. I would really appreciate your views.
www.aidanandellie.com/?p=83

MamaLE78 Wed 28-May-14 20:36:58

My DD is nearly 3. She is an African/English mix, with thick curls.....more Afro than European, but not quite as tight as pure Afro.

I have only ever used Aqueous Cream when washing her hair & apply plenty of olive oil whilst still wet. I only use a towel to get rid of excess water & have never blow dried it. Aqueous cream is quite moisture rich & mild so it does not strip the hair of moisture.

I use a tangle tease to brush her hair, but only if it is wet. I used to use a wide toothed comb, but honestly the tangle tease does a much better job & does not pull on it as much as the comb did. I brush it in sections, starting at the tip & working back to the scalp.

I wash her hair whenever I want to do something to it. At the moment we have it in braids of various styles most of the time. If she sits still long enough for me to do a good job the braids will last anywhere between 3-5 days without looking too rough!

If I do leave it out, I wash, oil, brush, fix it with fingers & then leave it to dry naturally.

She has beautiful hair & I have lost count of the number of times people have stopped me to ask how I manage it.

DS (6 months) on the other hand is a different kettle of fish & it remains to be seen if this method is going to work as well for him!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now