1/4 black 3/4 white children: what do they look like?!

(73 Posts)
Mahraih Mon 12-Jul-10 15:01:07

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here! I'm 1/2 black African, 1/2 white and my bf is just ... white.

I know lots of mixed race people, but all tend to be 1/2 and 1/2, I've never seen anyone who is quarter black. Just out of curiosity, really, I'm starting to wonder what my baby will look like, porentially? How does hair come out, will skull shape still be african and will the african nose hold out? I'm just a bit curious.

I'm pretty half and half. I look, just, like a 'caucasianised' black person. Lighter, with curly hair and a slightly thinner nose, but definitely of black origin.

So if anyone knows any quarter black children - what do they tend to look like?

Apologies if this causes offence - it is literally just curiosity.

Halzer Mon 20-Sep-10 21:35:16

I am 1/4 black and 3/4 white. Most people say I look arab, spanish, morroccan, Indian...but they never guess my true ethnicity. Its the same with my brother.

I think genes are really just pot-luck though.

hester Mon 20-Sep-10 21:48:40

I have about 20 cousins who have one black grandparent, and they cover the range: blonde hair and blue eyes, pale skin with brown afro, Mediterranean looking, black Caribbean looking...

Anything can happen - enjoy the anticipation!

Clayhead Mon 20-Sep-10 22:05:59

I am white and dh comes from Southern Europe, has very dark hair eyes and olive skin - both of our dc have blonde hair, very pale skin and blue eyes! It perplexes his relatives who just keep staring at them and touching their hair.

I expected one of them to get dark eyes or hair at least!

quartamixJay Fri 24-Sep-10 21:36:14

Hi there, I'm quarter cast. I'm 25% jamaican, 75% white. I'll be honest, my eldest syblin looks very mixed and people mistake her for 1/2 mixed. However, I look mostly white. I have some features in which are noticeable to detect some sorta mix. However, I am fair skinned. I have tightly curled hair and blue eyes Lol. Soo, basically we're diluted 1/2 mixed people. I've noticed that carribeans and africans have very different features in terms on nose shape, etc ...
nobody knows what the outcome will be. We are literally MIXED UP Lol. Thanks

giveitago Tue 28-Sep-10 13:44:05

Mixed kids look like their parents and and their ancestors ie they look like anything.

eg - I'm asian and european - I don't look english and I don't look indian - I look like me.

I've met anglo asians who have very dark hair and eyes and you'd be hard pressed to think they have european ancestry - you have blond hair blue eyed ones. The entire spectrum. That's what people with a wide variety of backgrounds look like.

My ds has my ancestry and has his father's southern european dad's ancestry. He looks like his dad ie very european and has my indian mother's jet black eyes. That's what he looks like. No big deal. I don't wish he looked more like this and more like that. What is he meant to look like? Certainly not a quarter this or half that etc.

Don't worry about it. It's just a look. They will be formed according to their family experiences.

Ematmp Tue 13-Sep-11 06:41:35

I'm 1/2 black 1/2 white and my husband is white. We have a 2yr old daughter and she is looks like me but white with blue eyes and light brown wavy/curly hair. We are planning having another child soon and I wonder if he or she will be lighter, darker or blue eyes. I hope that helps at all.

royaljelly Tue 20-Sep-11 23:40:15

I am 1/2 black and my partner is white.

All my children have been born with a full head of hair and also a mongolian blue spot, which usually disapears. My son has an almost spanish / italian complexion and brown eyes. He does have a romanesque nose with wide nostrils. When he was born he had brown hair and a very pale complexion. As I had an emergency c-section, I didn't believe he was mine when I woke up as he was so pale. He does tan very easily even with factor 50 and his hair goes blonde mainly at the front. Physique wise he is tall, slim and muscular like my Father's (black) side.

My daughter (also born with a full head of hair) has blue eyes!!.. My partner and I both have brown eyes), Her hair is brown and wavy and not as thick as my sons. She also has blonde highlights, (people think I have had them done professionally but it a throwback to my mothers heratige). Her hair is silky rather than course like my son. Her skin is slightly tanned and should save her a fortune in sunbeds.

She has my full lips but an european nose.

gorgehun80 Wed 07-Dec-11 21:09:31

Hiya. I am white and my DH is half black (African) and half white(Enlgish). He is very dark for half caste, he almost looks full black.I am pale with blonde hair. We have 3 gorgeous children. My oldest son is 5 and has olive skin, and tight blonde ringlets. He has the classic African button nose and very full lips. My 3 year old is darker than my son, she basically looks like shes been on a sunbed her whole life, she has loose blonde ringlets with natural light blonde highlights, huge blue eyes and big lips.People always comment on her skin color as shes so tanned. Then we have my 2 year old who is very white with straight light brown hair and big blue eyes. People often ask if my two eldest have something in them, but not ever with my youngest. Seems like the genes can carry through differently each time. Im not pregnant with my 4th child, another boy and we are excited to see how he will come out. All mixed raced bubbas are beautiful! smile

annelg1 Thu 15-Dec-11 19:01:57

Strange question. As the last person said, it's up to the individual child. This is the beauty of mixed race kids. They all come out different. Mine are the same mix as yours would potentially be. All 3 of them are different. First is tan with curly hair. My son is almost white, with tight curls, grey eyes. My youngest is fair/tan with almost straight hair, brown/grey eyes. If we had a fourth, he'd be different too.

Crystalynn1984 Sun 10-Jun-12 16:48:32

Wow! So glad I came across this.

I am mixed race(1/2 black 1/2 white) and so are two of my siblings. While me and my sister have no children my brother has 3 boys. My brother and I are medium skin color with hazel eyes and lighter brown hair(natural blonde in there). My sister is medium skin tone with brown eyes/hair.

My brothers first son was with a Caucasian woman who has brown hair/eyes and he came out with very light brown hair and big blue eyes.. with the perma-tan talked about above. His set of twins look identical to the first son(Mother is strawberry blonde/blue eyes). They have light light brown(almost dirty blonde) hair and big blue eyes. They look white with maybe a very light olive complexion(only a year old havent been in the sun much yet) They are all gorgeous and I cant help but stare at them!

I think it definitely depends on genes but it seems in my family the 1/4 babies come out with mostly Caucasian features. I dont know if it makes a difference that the black side of the family may be mixed with things down the line.

:-)

Fifi2406 Tue 31-Jul-12 23:31:16

My son is 1/4 black, he just looks like he has a sun tan! I often get asked if he is Spanish or if I've put him on a sunbed

Every child is different, that is what is so amazing about genetics smile

My son is 1/4 Guyanese black and 3/4 mix of European white, we wondered what he would look like as his Dad has quite dark skin for a mixed race person, but he came out looking like a white baby with the most beautiful dark eyes and his dads nose smile He is only 3 months so we are yet to see what he tans like lol but either way he is beautiful and I'm sure your baby will be too.

I can't wait to have to have another baby just to see what he/she will look like!

justhayley Tue 01-Jan-13 10:24:57

You really can't tell there's no standard look. I always think a lot of quarter cast babies look almost Arab. They get a gorgeous tan and light curly hair. My DS is 1/4 black 3/4 White and he's come out totally White no tan or hint of colour at all, and has blond hair and blue eyes. Wasn't expecting that. I do think he's going to have curly hair though. He's only 8 months so doesn't have much but when he's had a bath it curls and is gorgeous.

justhayley Tue 01-Jan-13 10:25:33

(ps when I say quarter cast I'm talking about he mix ur asking about)

giveitago Mon 14-Jan-13 19:34:51

Your kids will look like whatever. Does is really matter?

purpleroses Mon 14-Jan-13 19:41:44

My friend is that mix, but you wouldn't know he had any black ancestry - he just looks like a white person - pale skin, wavy brown hair.

His DD2 however has managed to pick up a recessive gene for afro hair, along with her mother's red haired gene, so has the most amazing ginger afro. You can't really tell with that mix. When people are 50-50 the black genes tend to dominate for hair colour at least, but when it's only a quarter you can get all sorts of mixtures, even within one family.

abbyfromoz Fri 01-Feb-13 18:59:20

A lot of people say that dark eyes and hair are dominant. I have a friend (greek) DARK eyes DARK hair and olive skin. Her DH is Kiwi... Dark hair and greenish eyes... Olive skin...all 3 of their DC's have blonde hair and blue eyes! What the?! I guess it's just a lucky dip!!

abbyfromoz Fri 01-Feb-13 19:01:41

Oh btw my husband has some aboriginal ancestry. His family are all pretty much white but they have that prominent aboriginal nose- same as my DD grin

SentongoAlaoui Thu 07-Feb-13 22:53:44

I am 1/4 Black African and 1/4 Arab African, and the rest white. When I have been in the sun for a day or 2 people defiantly know I am from Black descent. My brother naturally looks more Black as he is naturally darker and has a Black nose but doesn't go as dark as me in the sun. Where as I am lighter naturally but I have Black lips. So I would say just different everyone because I have cousins who are quarter and are darker than my dad who is half or other cousins who have ginger hair and look completely white.

crazynanna Thu 07-Feb-13 23:02:00

My dcs are mixed race (white/black carribean)

DD1 has married the same mix of race DH, and they have 3 dcs.

Of these:
DC1 is practically white skin,deep brown eyes, practically blonde loose curly hair.

DC2 is dark skinned,tight dark brown/black frizzy hair, and blue eyes.

DC3 is whiter than DC1, with loose,almost straight,wavy light brown hair, and green eyes.

My DD laughs and says she feels like the UN walking down the road with them grin

BeehavingBaby Thu 07-Feb-13 23:03:26

My niece looks very like her african grandparent but with my sister's incredibly pale skin, blue eyes and red hair (tight curls). She is beautiful but everyone is interested and wants to talk about it smile

Designjunkie Sat 30-Mar-13 00:59:47

One shade won't fit all. My own children are 1/2 caribbean and 1/2 English white. My dd has poker straight brown hair, is pale white and never tans. My ds has straight brown hair, pale skin that does tan but only lightly. Their features are very European and they look pure English. I am full black but light skinned with wavy hair and look mixed race but am not. No-one ever thinks I am related to them! However, I do have European ancestry on both sides of my family. As long as there is mixing in yours or your partners genes anything can happen! They will be beautiful whatever.

thornrose Sat 30-Mar-13 01:08:59

Design just out of interest how do you feel about your child not looking like you? My mixed race dd looks nothing like me and I do wonder how it would feel to have a child that looks like me.

TotallyBursar Sat 30-Mar-13 01:35:02

This thread was started in July 2010, the op's child is a toddler now, I suspect she knows what they look like.

justhayley Sun 21-Apr-13 22:16:26

My DS is 1/4 black 3/4 White he looks like a totally White child - he has blond hair and blue eyes which i wasn't expecting. He does have curly hair from me (I'm 1/2 black 1/2 White) but to look at him you would never know.
Iv met lots of 1/4 people and they are all very different you just can't tell. Majority of the time try get a lovely olive complexion and wavy hair I think they almost look Arab. But there'd no rule about what they will come out like - the only way you'l no is to make one and find out wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now