Fur Quits round 4 paschas book

(6 Posts)
Housewifefromheaven Thu 12-Jul-12 07:20:52

C by JH

Housewifefromheaven Thu 12-Jul-12 07:40:31

When this arrived i had mixed emotions. Disappointed because I'd read it before, and relief when i remembered i had enjoyed it!

It is a good read and left me feeling more than satisfied. There is enough to get you really engrossed, and some funny characters. I liked the way that the characters were just as strong, if more so, than the plot, which is unusual in this genre.

Really enjoyed this book, thought I knew it as I'd seen the film, but the book is much more satisfying and complex. Interesting cast of characters. Fairly romped through it!

Sastra Mon 24-Sep-12 16:18:08

Similarly to Housewife, I was disappointed to receive the book as like her, I'd read it before. However, unlike her I had hated it the first time round. I thought I'd try it again with an open mind. Unfortunately, my assessment was the same. I found it sentimental and overly romanticised. The premise of the story in itself was fine, but I found the characters weak and one dimensional. I can accept that this type of book would appeal to others, but I do feel that the characterisation was unforgivably poor smile.

Ragwort Fri 16-Nov-12 09:42:50

I just couldn't get into this book, I had tried it years ago but just found it all a bit pointless, sorry to sound negative. Really not my sort of book.

Lightshines Thu 10-Jan-13 14:54:42

I have read this recently and absolutely loved it, so much so that I have gone on to read several more JH books.

I think you do have to get into 'the zone' a bit with her and I can see why some may not like the style. Unlike Sastra, I find her characters were interesting and memorable - even more so in the sequel 'The Red Shoes'. There is something about the intangible, mystique in the books which I find appealing, the alchemy of blending and sharing food (not just chocolate) to seduce and draw people together. Its a key part of life and love for lots of us - how many first dates are in restaurants?!

The film is wonderful too.
So, a hit with me. Thanks, Pascha.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now