Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Mine's Hotter than yours - can we compare hot flushes?

(40 Posts)
inthesticks Sat 11-Sep-10 11:25:23

Last winter I had a couple of missed periods and coincidently ( I thought) lots of flu like night sweats.
Periods came back like clockwork in April and the hot symptoms stopped,but no period now since July. At first I put it down to the hot weather, but I've never before been one to break into a sweat even in extreme heat.

I can't deny it any longer the menopause is upon me.

I had always imagined hot flushes to be a feeling of being hot accompanied by a red face. I think the term hot flash is a more accurate description of my symptoms. I become aware of sweating first then feeling hot. Sweat pours off my face and chest.
At night I have to sleep with no covers, a window open and a fan.

I've just had a coffee and as I type, next to an open window I am dripping.

Perhaps I won't need the heating on so much this winter grin.

Guadalupe Tue 15-Feb-11 09:18:11

I'm 33, mine is a result of surgery at 30, though as I kept my ovaries the surgeon said I would just have menopause five years earlier than normal.

I have since read that that a high % have menopause within five years not just five years earlier.

Bummer about the alcohol, though maybe that will help with weight gain.

pagwatch Tue 15-Feb-11 13:37:21

I really don't know about the link with alcohol. I just have noticed a link between the two.
But I am quite happy to assume it is just me.
Or it may just be that instead of alcohol I am drinking water in the evenings and that the reaction I am having is from good hydration iyswim.

cabbageroses Tue 15-Feb-11 18:00:47

Alcohol is not good for you. You might like to know that re. risks of HRT the drs say that a glass of wine a day after the menopause equates to the same risk as HRT.
Alcohol is resonsible for alot of female cancers. I suspect it is this and weight gain that has caused the recent surge in breast cancer.

heebeejeebees Fri 04-Mar-11 17:47:59

Just seen this thread and thought I would tell you about my experience. I started having hot flushes about 6-9 months ago and have only had one period in between that time. My hot flushes started off not too bad but by xmas I was getting them every hour or so during the day and more or less all night long. Even in the freezing cold winter that we had before xmas I was lying on top of the quilt soaked in sweat and I am a cold person! Didn't want to try HRT and decided to look at an alternative therapy. I bought from Boots a product called Phyto-soya which is an oestrogen extract from plants and within days my hot flushes had diminished to the point where I hardly get them at all. I bought the double potency and they cost about £25 for about 3 months but so far they are more than worth it.

Starbear Mon 07-Mar-11 11:14:00

heebeejeebees I'm off to the shops now for those.
I'm 47 yrs and have started the night sweats. I've read that 1 glass of wine is good, many, bad. I experimented on Saturday and yep! after maybe 3-4 glasses of wine mixed with water I had a dreadful night sleep.
I have found that exercise in the morning reduces the the problem. But... as inthesticks mentioned I'm also an older Mum of a 6 year old so the two are clashing with working 3 days a week, cleaning house, DH's work schedule and DS's socail life my exercise goes to the bottom of the pile. I can't see myself getting up at 6am to go for a run when I've had such a dreadful night sleep! I always drop off back to slepp around 5am after sweating for a few hours!
I think you'll see me more often on this theme grin wine but only 1 remember

cabbageroses Mon 07-Mar-11 19:22:10

Some experts think that phyto estrogens have the same effect and risks as normal HRT.

EG if you have had breast cancer you would be advised to avoid them- just like HRT.

moonbeam1211 Sat 05-Jan-13 17:01:22

Hi all, I have been having major hot flushes but feeling horrible nausea and palpation's and when closing my eyes going dizzy, not sure if they are related to menopause as I have been having them on and off for months, I have been really down due to those symptoms and feel the doctors has not got a clue, as he stuck me on omeprazole and sickness pill , just had a Hysterectomy 9 days ago due to a very large fibroid and started taking Estradol Valerate 2mg 6 days ago, any help on how long the hrt will kick in and are those symptoms menopausal (THE HOT FLUSHES), any help much appreciated

Cooroo Fri 18-Jan-13 15:03:16

HAha, didn't know I'd find Menopause on mumsnet. I'm 53, last period nearly 3 months ago, and I've been waking 2-3 times a night all burning hot. Have to fling arms and legs out, sometimes lie completely uncovered. And it's freezing at the moment! I seem to cool down and go back to sleep fairly quickly, unless I start 'worrying'.

This I can live with. I also seem to be much more anxious than I used to be, I don't know if that's connected. I eat well, following a 5:2 fasting diet. Cycle every week (or so...). Generally healthy. I'm suspicious of herbal remedies and reluctant to go to the doctor for anything.. but I do feel my quality of life is dragged down by the anxiety. It's not a huge thing, but I could be better.

guffaw Sat 26-Jan-13 21:47:04

had my ovaries out at 49 - flushes started immediately, with an intensity I did not expect - I go very red and literally drip yeuk! night sweats are vile, so bad I have to change bedding.

cant remember when I last slept through the night. have tried going caffiene free eating apples and soy products, othing works!

may have to cave in and go to gp. friend told me a blood pressure medication instantly cured her.

not anxious but my memory has completely vanished!

Missbopeep Sun 27-Jan-13 15:14:32

That's shocking medical care angry

Why were you not offered HRT at 49? I suppose they thought you were near ish meno age so didn't bother to offer?

Not good though- you were still 3 years off age of average meno in UK- and should have had the choice of HRT for a while to give you a graduall meno not an overnight one.

Go back to drs?

What do you want to do about it?

guffaw Mon 28-Jan-13 00:02:31

to be honest I dont want hrt - dr told me that I'd have to go through meno eventually anyway, so hrt would just put it off for a while. I'm more distressed about the weight gain - rocketed from 9.5 to 12 stone ! and I 'm sure its nothing to do with my eat drink and be merry lifestyle grin

Missbopeep Mon 28-Jan-13 15:28:08

I'd rather have some quality of life in your shoes for a few years- HRT is safe for women under 60 for a good number of years, than put up with dripping and no sleep.

seewww.menopausematters.co.uk
Go the the HRT part of the menu and look at the scales.

Re. the weight gain- after meno you just have to eat less and move more. Your metabolism completely changes.

skyblue11 Tue 12-Feb-13 16:38:06

Ah the flushes, they are driving me mad. Started about 18 months ago I am now 51 and need to have my desk fan on at least 6 times in the course of a day at work. At night it wakes me up, I use a aerosol water spray like evian in a can from boots, that helps. I have also tried Black Cohosh (gave me stomach ache) and also isoflavines but they brought back my hypothyroid symptoms, not sure of I can take HRT due to thyroid meds but I don't really want to. Next I am going to try Sage, my last period was last July, nothing since then. My aunt who is 78 still has hot flushes, I don't think I can bear this for that long!

Greekescape Mon 25-Mar-13 18:16:28

unfortunately I have to agree alcohol does increase hot flushes, but so does hot food, big dinners, tea and coffee.I'm not about to give up on any of these so I just have to wear layers. I'm 57 and 9 years on am still having hot flushes. I have noticed however that they do stop if I'm under the weather for any other reason such as a cold or a migraine.Just think of them as your personal summer time

Bellaciao Tue 02-Apr-13 20:58:51

Hi there

I agree with quality of life over minute risks anyday. I couldn't stand the flushes and went onto HRT age almost 54. Now nearly 60 and have never looked back. I would urge anyone to go down this route - the health benefits are also being recognised more and more.
You don't have to put up with them!
I use bioidentical oestrogen patches and micronised progesterone capsules - all on the NHS and haven't had a flush for years (except stopped a couple of years ago for 3 months and they came back). Doc is happy for me to continue.
You can take hRT with thyroid meds - just need a bit of juggling sometimes.
This is what menopause matters says about thyroid

Hyperthyroidism, due to either overactive thyroid gland or over-replacement of thyroxine in under active thyroid disease, leads to an increased risk of osteoporosis due to excess bone loss. Consideration should therefore be given to screening for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women who have a history of hyperthyroidism and offering bone protective measures. HRT does not worsen thyroid disease and in fact may be particularly helpful because of the bone protective effect. However, patients taking thyroxine should be monitored by having thyroid function rechecked 3 months after starting HRT since the thyroxine dose may need to be adjusted. Similarly, thyroxine requirements may alter if HRT is stopped and thyroid function should be rechecked 3 months after stopping HRT

www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossT

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now