When organising a Mumsnet meet up you should take the same basic precautions you would when meeting anyone from the internet - make sure you meet in a public place and that others know where you are going. You can also meet up with other mums on your Mumsnet Local page. Find your Local page here.

Aberystwyth - is anybody out there?

(45 Posts)

Hello!

I've just moved back to the area and have realised that I really don't know many people any more. I'd love to meet up for coffee sometime. Are there any Aber mumsnetters out there?

smile

I'm nowhere near but went to university there and love the place. Hope you hear from some other MNetters soon!

Damnit, only just seen this! Thanks jammy.

I'll remain the permanent optimist regardless smile

smile

Assume you've tried your Local site? I know my local one is somewhat quiet but a meet-up (the first in some time I think) is just getting organised. You might have better luck there.

I have, there're a couple of people an hour or so away, but so far no joy any nearer. It seems to be a mumsnetter desert around here smile

I think the only thing left then is to post something controversial in AIBU and see if anyone comes out of the woodwork.

I like your thinking. A kind of "am AIBU to think that Aberystwyth is full of the most vile people in the UK?!"

Followed by a later post of "now I have your attention, is anyone about for a cuppa?"

It could work... But would they still want to meet me? grin

TwllBach Mon 22-Apr-13 17:09:35

<waves from Anglesey>

Not quite Aberystwyth but not bad!

Twllbach! Helo! At least you're in the right country. I'm getting closer smile

Bump on the off chance smile

<peers around the room at the eery quiet>

<tumbleweed drifts by>

siilk Thu 16-May-13 19:24:30

Just saw this. Was in Aber at the weekendsmile I am about 45 minutes away. But I am in the same county.

Hello siilk smile. 45 minutes is practically next door around here!

I was beginning to think there was no one anywhere near. Are you north or south?

MabliD Fri 17-May-13 19:03:35

I was in Aberystwyth Arts Centre today feeding DD pom bears and froot shoot in an effort to uncover mumsnetters via their cats bum faces, alas, no success.

Hello. I live 45 minutes away too, work in Aber though!

Mab! Damnit! If I'd seen you with Pom bears I may have tested you by leaving a shopping list nearby smile

MabliD Fri 17-May-13 19:32:31

Maybe we need the mumsnet scarves to identify each other? Like carnations but more M&S chic?

Of course we don't have an M&S so may have to substitute Matalan... wink

I like your thinking smile there's got to be a matalan equivalent.

We need a code.

So are you from round these parts originally?

MabliD Fri 17-May-13 20:11:08

No, I came to uni here, met and eventually married a local and now he won't let me leave! Been here 9 years now. As you've just returned are you Aber born and bred? Have you been gone long?

Have spent a very long winter bemoaning Aberystwyth and its 'end-of-the-world-ness' but then the sun came out today and I fell back in love with the place. It has that effect on people I think!

siilk Fri 17-May-13 21:34:34

Trust me Aber is not the end of the world - where I am is!!!!! I am south. Based around Lampeter. We go to Aber or Carmarthen for the town lifesmile maybe a secret hand wiggle!! I am so not from round here.

I am an original Aberite, but I've spent 12 years traipsing around England. The pace of life around here is so lovely and slow (I haven't been back long enough to get frustrated by it yet!)

It's main issue is that it's bloody miles from everywhere. But that's part of its charm I suppose.

My other half was working down Lampeter way until recently, he doesn't miss the daily commute.

I know a fair few locals who've trapped unwitting students grin

MabliD Fri 17-May-13 22:02:44

Haha ok now what are the chances here? I live between Lampeter and Aberaeron, so your husband's commute probably meant we passed each other! And there's a fair chance if I sent up a smoke signal siilk would see it!

I spent 45 minutes each way on the number 40 today just to get DD's feet measured (and hunt mners at the arts centre), so Aberystwyth is definitely the closest thing to civilisation. Carmarthen now has a Frankie and Bennies and a Harvester though, it is truly the land of golden promise.

It's a wonderful place to raise kids though, the 'bubble' is so serene. Sitting on south beach having a coffee and an ice cream from the hut cannot be beaten. grin

Oh Mab you're making me feel all homely. With the lack of summer last year it felt like I never got a chance to do all the beachy things.

What about Aberaeron and its honey ice creams?

You'll definitely have passed him at some point smile

MabliD Fri 17-May-13 22:33:35

Oooooh yes. The kiwi ones are my favourites! The last one I had, I held in one hand while trying to fold the buggy and the lovely ice cream fell on the floor with a plop. I was properly distressed! DH laughed at me the git.

Chips from the Celtic are the best in the world too. Fact.

Impressive juggling.

I always have to go for the biggest one and then race to eat it before it eats my arm.

Good times.

They do a really nice pimms in there too.

I do like the art centre's cakes though...

Great, now I'm hungry grin

AllBellyandBoobs Fri 17-May-13 22:49:30

Ah, you're making me nostalgic. Not from Aberystwyth but I studied there and loved the place. I had to go to a dentist in Aberaeron when my wisdom teeth were giving me trouble as he was the nearest one that would see me. I also have fond memories of Lampeter as I bought my first car from a farmer there, he had pigs roaming all over the place

MabliD Fri 17-May-13 22:53:33

So the concensus is that there are 3 mners within 20 miles of Aberystwyth. .. and they are really, really hungry.

Sounds like the tagline to a horror movie; I approve .

Next time I take DD to the park I shall look for the people with naice ice creams grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now