single parent houseshare

(309 Posts)
Lauree Mon 12-Apr-10 15:08:19

I'm a single mum (40 something) with a six year old boy in central London. I'm a professional woman working four days a week, living in central London. I'd like to find another single parent to share with... and help each other out with the ups and downs of parenting.

contact me if you think you might be interested.

M00MINMAMMA Tue 11-May-10 13:45:36

Hi Lauree,

Are you still looking? I am 35, have a 3.5 year old son and was thinking of something similar. We're in West London but probably moving to elsewhere in London. I used to be a newspaper journalist but now writing a book so work from home. Would love to chat and hopefully take it from there, if you're interested then email me on tarmac_films@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers!
Daffy

benkalev Fri 21-May-10 23:19:37

hello lauree, I saw your post on ums net regarding single parent houseshares in E8. being a dad, im not sure if i was meant to be on the site but seeing your post, its exactly what im looking for. I need to find a child friendly place to have my 2 1/2 yr old daughter a few nights per week (sharing duties with her mum). are you still looking for someone?

Lauree Sat 22-May-10 08:04:26

Hi Ben,
Dads are allowed on here, don't worry!! the ladies are way in the majority though grin

I'm talking to moominmama at the moment,and we haven't met yet,so I want to do that before I start talking to anyone else. But if that doesn't work out, can you post your email address so can I contact you off mumsnet?

My place won't be available for about a month though so no good if you need to find a place quick.

Message withdrawn

lowrib Sat 22-May-10 08:21:24

I think that's a brilliant idea. I'm really pleased you've found a possible sharer so quickly.

Myself and DP are looking for someone to share with in Eastbourne (with our 1 year old DS) at the moment, while we go back to college for the next few years. It would be lovely if they had kids too. (Anyone?!)

For us it means we'd ba able to afford to live in a nice house with a garden, which would be lovely for DS. We've always shared - we've had lodgers in London, and it just seems to make sense.

I think more people should consider this kind of thing. I know it's not for everyone, and some people would hate to share their home, but if you can make it work for you it doesn't half save on bills, and I think it's nice for the kids to to have a tame adult to play with sometimes other than a parent!

alisara Fri 25-Jun-10 00:20:27

Thats a great idea, pity there isnt anything similar where i live

Blef1974 Sat 26-Jun-10 20:41:55

Me and my best friend are both single parents and have thought about this. We would both love to do it, but have no clue how to go about it.

Monty100 Sat 26-Jun-10 20:49:19

Blef - just get a place together?

I have just read about this happening in the States, a single Mum ended up creating a website for single Mums looking to share and it's been a massive success..great idea

Blef1974 Sun 27-Jun-10 23:03:43

Problem is that I am in North Tyneside and she is in West Oxfordshire. However we have discussed moving to another part of the country together as she is starting university next September.

whooosh Sun 27-Jun-10 23:23:44

I think it's a great idea and have been giving it considerable thought.
So,if anyone would like to join a single Mum (clean freak) and a 5yr old,a sausage dog and 2 cats in a Hertfordshire village then shout.
Great facilities,train to Kings X 30 mins.

Slightly mad,loves laughing and is always ready for a glass of wine at the end of the day.

If you are daft enough to take a look at us then you may be just the person!

knitorama Tue 06-Jul-10 16:34:07

Elenora

Are you still looking for sharers? Are you anywhere near Totnes? I am looking to relocate in the south. I am a single mum with two boys, 7 and 10 and I am a very poor artist thinking about teacher training....of course.....

knitorama Wed 07-Jul-10 07:56:37

I'm desperate to relocate to Brighton but can't afford the rents and would rather be in a communal home. Please get in touch if you would like to share or you know of a shared home with space. I am a lone parent with two boys, very lively but lovely!

see i would love to do something like this, preferably in devon, cornwall or gloucester. i am a single 29 year old mum with 4 kids, the ds's are 11 and 9, and the dd's are 5 and 4. would really need to be a big house though as between the kids and i we would need 3/4 bedrooms.

aniluap Sun 19-Sep-10 21:56:43

Hi,
are you still looking for someone to share a house and garden with..???
if so im very interested. I have a 5 yr old daughter and i would love to live in the countryside .. the Eco life with lots of outdoor communal space for the children to play in... if the other person was into permaculture, natural building etc.. that would be even better.
I am mostly interested in the Sussex area, but i would consider other locations.

Lauree Tue 28-Sep-10 22:25:08

Hi Anilaup;-
well at the moment I'm living in Hackney with two spare rooms and looking for someone to share my house: we have a small garden and Hackney is a fantastic inner city location...
but I'm open minded to moving elsewhere although it wouldn't be a quick process for us: it would take me about a year to move I reckon, by the time I had thought about it a lot!

if there are others who would like to join in a bigger venture that would be ok too.

girliefriend Sat 02-Oct-10 21:22:37

Elanora that sounds lovely!! Id like to come for my holidays!!!

MammaGiGi Mon 18-Oct-10 14:59:17

Feeling so inspired by this fantastic concept of single-parent house sharing!
I'm currently looking to relocate to either Edinburgh or Glasgow and it would be great to have another single parent to share living costs/childcare/support with.
I have a nearly-2 year old daughter and am in my mid-20's, looking to get back to work when I've relocated.
Excited to hear from anyone interested!

Mummytoanangel Tue 02-Nov-10 18:34:11

Hi,

Really like the idea of this. Is anyone looking to do this in the Reading, Berks area? Would also consider moving to Hammersmith/Fulham or Putney area to have a bit of a fresh start

I've recently become single...mum to a beautiful little girl and we would love to meet similar for the prospect of housesharing. I am in my mid 20's, professional (also training in Reflexology) and am tidy, fun and friendly.

Me and little one look forward to hearing from you.

kikizinzin Sun 14-Nov-10 19:29:03

Lauree are you still interested in house sharing in Hackney? I am 34 and my son is 3, he only lives with me part time, we are currently in Clapton. I am very interested in finding a good alternative arrangement and would love to discuss. Hopefully I will hear from you, Jadelin. Email soconomo@gmail.com

kikizinzin Sun 14-Nov-10 19:39:29

And if anyone other than Lauree - Ben are you still out there? - wants to discuss I would also be open to other areas in London! Fingers crossed, Jadelin

Exogenesis Sun 14-Nov-10 19:46:12

Mummytoanangel. Would you consider Surrey Egham way about 30 min from Reading?

Anyone else? I love the idea. I'm in my mid20's with a 4 year old girl, I work 5 days a week but, hope to return to 2 1/2 days soon maybe. grin

StellaBrillante Tue 16-Nov-10 22:02:31

Elanora, are you renting out rooms for the holiday periods? wink

I am 36, ds is 11 and I am looking to go back to uni in Gloucestershire from Sep 2011. We would be very interested in house sharing with another LP - looking to move to the Gloucester side of Cheltenham (if that makes sense?) in Jul / Aug next year. A long way away but just in case...!

Carolineludlow Sun 21-Nov-10 21:46:57

Hi
I have been looking for some time for a house or flat share with another single mum I think this is a great idea. I really would like to be in and around west London as I work in Ealing 2.5 days a week. My son is 14 months old and growing up fast!!!
If anyone can help please email me on carolinelliott69@hotmail.com
Thanks
Xx

kikizinzin Tue 30-Nov-10 18:51:45

Hi, I'm an Italian 34 year old father of a 3 year old boy looking for a place to share with another single parent/s (male or female). My son would stay only part time as he stays mostly at his mothers house. I'm a student of Chinese medicine at the University of Westminster. I work part-time in a deli-cafe and I write stories. I never refuse a good conversation if it comes with a glass of wine! I am currently in East London but would be willing to relocate for the right situation. soconomo@gmail.com Jadelin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now