Buying a property when single?

(6 Posts)
BeOrganised Sat 12-Jan-13 22:47:57

Hi, I have 3dc and I'm 28 years old, so far have been renting privately but I really need a bigger place, and want to feel secure. Is it far fetched to think that by time I'm 35 I'll be able to buy?

I work full time, mt credit is ok I think... I di need to pay off a few debts though.

Sorry if I should have posted this in properties! I wasn't too sure.

nextphase Sun 13-Jan-13 09:56:44

If you can pay off the debts, save a deposit, and get a mortgage big enough on your salary, of course you can buy as a single parent!

I'd work backwards: a quick look at the price of the type of house you'd like, in the area you'd prefer, then a quick look on a mortgage comparison site, putting in what you think you'll be able to save as a deposit, and see what numbers it comes out with. Then you can adjust what your going to need to save, or the type / area you could get a house in.

Good Luck!

cooper44 Sun 13-Jan-13 21:56:53

I've only ever had mortgages on my own although I bought before having children - it's totally do-able if as pp says you can save the deposit etc. Plus at the moment it's harder to get mortgages. My first property was shared ownership which was brilliant - got a far nicer place than I would otherwise have been able to afford just on my salary. Good luck!

gilmoregirl Sun 13-Jan-13 23:36:46

I am a single parent and I own my own place. I do not earn a huge amount but I am careful with my money. My mortgage is a large proportion of my income but I budget carefully and manage.

Good luck

BeOrganised Mon 14-Jan-13 19:46:32

Thank you for the luck and advice!

scooterchik Wed 30-Jan-13 21:50:25

I am a single parent and have just bought a shared ownership property. I really recommend it as i live in an expensive part of London and would never be able to buy a 'whole' property on my own. It allows me to stay in the borough i live and keep my local connections. Have a look at what schemes are available near you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now