I start a full time 9-5 job in 2 weeks, how will I fit everything in?!

(27 Posts)
mildlyinsulting Mon 24-Dec-12 01:05:26

I am on my own (have been from 3 days prior to finding out I was pregnant) with dd who's 2 and a half and have worked part time up until recently where a rejig of hours has meant leaving my job to take a full time post in a completely different role.

Any experience in running a house/toddler and working full time would be greatly appreciated-time management is not my strong point. Yet.

spanna41 Sat 12-Jan-13 12:54:41

Piemother there's a really good link for slow cooker menus on MN homepage - you can slow cook a whole chicken - yummy!!

Midly - well done for surviving your first week - you'll get into the swing of it, think of the money that you'll have to spend on DC and You!!!

Best of luck for the coming months x

insideoutsider Fri 18-Jan-13 21:22:55

I've been a full-time working single mom to twins since birth and no, I didn't have to get any organizing book / gadget. By 7.45pm, I'm alone in front of the telly or entertaining! One thing you need to do is make sure your child has an air-tight wake/sleep routine.
Here's my routine if it helps:

5.30am: I wake, shower, have a little lie down
6.30: Wake kids, give them shower, let them get dressed with some help, meanwhile, start warming up milk for cereal etc
7.00: Kids are dressed and having breakfast, I run upstairs to do make up and get dressed while 'yelling' for them to hurry up, wipe their mouths, put on their jumpers, hats, scarves, gloves etc
7.25: I'm downstairs, putting finishing touches to their appearance, tucking in flying shirts, packing away breakfast things
7.30: Out the door and off to before school club
7.45: At the train station
After work
5.40pm: Arrive at after-school club
5.50: Arrive home, kids sit on sofa, play around the house, do whatever - I sit with them etc
6.30: Kids pick up their toys etc off the floor (they've been doing this since they were 2yrs old)
6.40: Dinner time for kids
7.00: Upstairs to brush teeth, wash hands, faces, read book, do bedtime reflection, talking about the day etc
7.25: Lights out, me downstairs.
7.30: Do washing up of dishes, wipe dining table, surfaces, brush carpet, etc
7.45: Quick shower or not but I'm now free to do whatever!

Weekends, saturday, they go for whatever activities 9am in the morning, weekly shopping after, do anything else we like at home. Sunday morning, 9am church, do whatever we like after.

Once you get into a routine, your life is SO easy!

;-D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now