Has anyone had to go into hospital and had DC in emergency foster care?

(6 Posts)
BertieBotts Thu 11-Oct-12 20:47:58

Thanks parsnip this is really helpful and sounds reassuring.

parsnipcake Thu 11-Oct-12 20:42:32

Some things from home such as teddies, toys and clothes as this really help a child relax. I generally find toddlers are ok if kept busy, it will be ok. We deal with lots of children from hospital stays, and they do a lot better than neglected and abused children because they know they are loved, even when very you g, so they are more able to accept substitute care on a short term basis.

parsnipcake Thu 11-Oct-12 20:39:40

Most children come into care at short notice, so the fc will be fine and ready. Yes, I meant hospital visiting. If mum was up to it I'd be doing phone/FaceTime, photos etc ( or whatever was appropriate) and keeping child busy and in as normal a routine as possible. I'd also try to get s

BertieBotts Thu 11-Oct-12 20:03:57

It's an unexpected hospital stay for the mum so no time for intros - it's good to know it happens a lot though (in a way!) I guess that means FCs are quite used to the situation?

When you say lots of visiting is that visiting mum in hospital?

parsnipcake Thu 11-Oct-12 19:59:17

Hi, I'm a fc. This happens quite a lot. Usually we would have a few intro sessions and would plan lots of visiting while a child was staying with us. In terms of continuing involvement, you might be offered some home start or referred to other agencies, but SS simply don't have the time or inclination to get involved beyond the respite placement in my experience. I have often offered some extra support to respite families, especially when the children have settled well. Foster carers have a lot of experience in settling children so please don't worry x

BertieBotts Thu 11-Oct-12 19:48:11

Evidently in a situation like this you don't have much choice, but a friend is facing this currently and she's really worried about her DS who is about 18 months old, how he will cope going to stay with complete strangers etc.

She's also worried about SS involvement afterwards because she's fairly young and she's worried they'll see this as her not coping/not having support, which she feels she is coping (and she seems to be doing well to me).

Just wondered if anyone had any advice/opinions? I'll have to forward on by text. I'd help out myself if I could but unfortunately I live in a totally different area of the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now