Half term break - any recommendations for single mum and ds age nearly 5

(9 Posts)
cheesestrung Mon 24-Sep-12 09:31:33

Hi
My son has just started school, so i am now planning short breaks around the school holidays, i would like to take him somewhere for a few nights at half term. somewhere child friendly to do an activity or somewhere to visit..
I will be driving, and would obviously like to keep the cost down. any recommendations? where you can use vouchers etc?

cestlavielife Mon 24-Sep-12 09:51:15

where do you live, what is your budget etc

cheesestrung Mon 24-Sep-12 10:03:30

Im in the north east, but i am willing to travel 3 hours ish, budget £200 max (i may be asking a lot here?!)

cestlavielife Mon 24-Sep-12 11:37:21

look at premier inns you can get £29 per night deals even in half term if you book now - book one near a nice city or attraction so even if wet you can have fun (in any case there is no such thing as bad weather only the wrong clothing...wellies good wet weather gear walk in the autumn woods...)

check out the food place linked to the premier innn (or travelodge) - some have soft play centres inside.

your ds will love the excitement going to a hotel !

corlan Mon 24-Sep-12 12:08:26

You could also look at holiday parks where you stay in a static caravan. They often have kids clubs,a swimming pool and restaurant and clubhouse.
Just did a quick search for the north of England during half term here and prices come up around £100 for 4 nights.

Definitely check the park reviews on tripadvisor though as some of the parks can be a bit skanky!

cestlavielife Mon 24-Sep-12 12:59:20

but make sure it is a HEATED caravan !

corlan Mon 24-Sep-12 14:40:18

That is a very good point!

MsDFye Mon 24-Sep-12 23:05:03

I recommend Youth Hostels (check the YHA website). They usually have twin or family rooms that are very affordable and often do 'kids eat free' offers on meals as well. Have stayed in quite a few with my DS (who's now 6) ranging from central London to the wilds of Wales and always felt really safe and welcome.

AllDirections Tue 25-Sep-12 19:07:13

If cheap and cheerful is your cup of tea then I recommend this one at £60 a person

www.singlewithkids.co.uk/holiday_grid1/autumn-lakes/

I'm in the North East too, near Middlesbrough and I have a 5 year old and tow older DC. Where are you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now