Endlich Sommer - and time for a new Kaffeeklatsch thread...

(204 Posts)
LinzerTorte Wed 19-Jun-13 07:54:30

... for those living in Germany or Austria or anyone who just wants to chat/ask a question about living in or visiting this part of the world - all welcome. smile

Previous thread here

adele30 Thu 10-Oct-13 13:38:52

Hi all, I'm new on here and have just found this thread. It's great to see all you Ausländers on here (LOL). I live in Wegberg, NRW. Married with 2 kids (girl-6 & boy-4).
I was working for the Army until the end of last year as the barracks (JHQ) closed down, i'm currently working for a company on another army barracks but not bringing in great money. It is better than being on Arbeitslosengeld though. I have found it so hard getting job in Germany, has anyone else had this problem?

Anywho, just thought i'd say Hi, Hope you all have a good day. xx

AmblingAlong Thu 10-Oct-13 19:50:24

Hi adele30 I'm in Hannover. Had to look Wegberg up on google maps! How long have you been in Germany? I agree about finding jobs. Unless you have a German Ausbildung or you are a highly qualified in your field of work it's hard to find much especially with far from perfect German as in my case (lazy). Alot of expats seem to teach English but I tried that and I was no good at it. Just can't explain the grammar!

Nutella great news that ds is sleeping through. Is he crawling yet?

Just got back from the shopping centre with dd, we have one that stays open until 10pm near us. Now all we need is Sunday shopping and we will be alot happier. Sometimes we go into the city on Sunday to the Hauptbahnhof for a wander around just because the shops are all open!

LinzerTorte Fri 11-Oct-13 07:42:33

Hi adele, how long have you been in Germany? I was quite lucky when we lived there as there was a company nearby who employed a lot of in-house translators; I'm not sure what I'd have done otherwise. I went freelance when we left Germany so haven't had to face job-hunting since, but I didn't feel ready to work freelance when we moved there.

Nutella It's grey and rainy here too; DS is going on a trip to the farm this morning and was very worried that it would be cancelled, but the heavy rain has become drizzle now so I think they'll still go.

Ambling (sorry, have just realised I called you by your old name in my last post) Mmm, Glühwein... haven't spotted any yet, but the roast chestnut stands are starting to appear.
I'm reading The War of the Worlds on my Kindle at the moment, but am struggling with it a little - only 20% to go now! I keep interrupting it to read other things so have been reading it for months, but am determined to get it finished in the next few days (I can never give up on a book, although I was very tempted with the 100 Year Old Man).

My birthday didn't quite go as planned yesterday, as I had to take DD2 to the Unfallambulanz. Her teacher phoned me to say she'd hurt her toe in PE so I phoned the doctor to ask whether they could have a quick look at it, but the receptionist advised me to go to the hospital to have it x-rayed. It felt a bit OTT for what I was pretty sure was just a stubbed toe, but best to be on the safe side I suppose. Anyway, the x-ray was fine and her toe didn't even seem to be hurting all that much by the time we were seen, so I felt like a bit of a fraud - although she does say it still hurts a bit when she walks.

DD1 will be back from her class trip this afternoon; I haven't heard how they're getting on, so assume everything's OK!

I don't mind starting a new thread, but am waiting for title inspiration to strike. grin

LinzerTorte Fri 11-Oct-13 07:57:51

Well, I wasn't struck by anything hugely inspirational but have started a new thread here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now