WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ ETC :PART 6!!!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Mon 18-Feb-13 18:23:37

Wow! Part 6...got to be a record.

MN Towers, where's our prize?!

frikonastick Sat 16-Mar-13 17:22:16

I think 90% of my DDs behavior at that age had stuff all to do with anything I did or didn't do. Seriously. My DD was /is a horrific eater and we could never persuade her to touch food at all, let alone get messy. So I am sure my child looked perfectly turned out at mealtimes but that had nothing to do with my parenting skills and entirely to do with DDs own personal little peculiarity.

I had a friend who's first child she did sleep training with, I think it's a famous method or something, Gerald something? Or someone one? Anyway, it worked a treat and she was like, I am an AWESOME parent. Then she had another child and did the same thing. Did it work? Like hell it did. And it then dawned on her, that her mad parenting skills actually weren't so awesome at all, and really it was all down to the kid you get!

So don't at ALL feel inadequate. <gavel>

frikonastick Sat 16-Mar-13 17:25:14

Oh and yes, I have indeed been up since 5am in order to get on the ferry at 5:30am because something went wrong with the one we were supposed to go on at a much much more civilized hour of 10:30am. Am feeling very uncharitable towards the ferry right now.

WhatSheSaid Sat 16-Mar-13 18:10:44

I'm sniggering at the thought of either of my dds staying clean during mealtimes when they were toddlers. I have a great photo of dd2 covered in fricking Dora "chocolate dessert" - face, chest, tummy, arms, the lot.

Mess doesn't really bother me and I think it's part and parcel of having small kids. I remember my in-laws being horrified when I gave dd1 (aged 1) a yoghurt and spoon and let her get on with it - I could see they were desperate to grab it off her but somehow managed to restrain themselves.

Meh. Small kids. Mess. A bit of food on the floor and themselves while they learn to feed themselves. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? Of course not.

justaboutalittlefrazzled Sat 16-Mar-13 19:28:06

"Mess doesn't really bother me and I think it's part and parcel of having small kids."

Amen to that.

thelittlestkiwi Sat 16-Mar-13 20:38:18

I don't think it is a girl thing. I think it's a parent thing. Do they just have one DC? It's much easier to control food when you just have the one, through simple logistics. DD has always made a mess but I want her to feed herself as I think the control helps develop a healthy attitude to food. She's not great at using a knife and fork though- should I be worried about this at 3 3/4? I reckon as long as your kids are eating well and growing you are doing it right Lolly.

I've heard it is fire station open day on the NS. Dunno if the rest of the city has open days though.

justaboutalittlefrazzled Sat 16-Mar-13 20:51:49

It is only Devonport fire station (just rang Takapuna to check)

We were planning St Pat's parade but not in this weather.

lollystix Sat 16-Mar-13 21:12:44

The weather sad.

AB - tell us news from

Yes it's only DC for bro and SIL and they are VERY anal about mess. They used to get towels out for my boys to sit on on the furniture in case they made a mess. They have a beautiful house, John Lewis/Laura Ashley style - duck egg - it really is lovely. I have a sticky, unmatching house full of broken bits of plastic that float around. But I suppose DS4 can feed himself.

A year now since we left UK - gone so fast.

lollystix Sat 16-Mar-13 21:13:22

Waiheke that is - but I assume you're waiting on t'interweb

thelittlestkiwi Sat 16-Mar-13 22:28:30

Sorry Justa- thought it would be fun.

Lolly- towels on the furniture! Wow. Congrats on surviving your first year. What will you do to celebrate?

frikonastick Sat 16-Mar-13 22:43:52

Towels on the furniture?? Wow, really? That sounds like hard work <polite face>

Lolly, a whole year! We have just done our first year. We are 'celebrating' at maccy Ds on our way back up the north island. You need to go and do something really good to mark it. Take a photo of you all on the couch or something :-)

vvviola Sat 16-Mar-13 23:22:56

Justa - they cancelled the parade. I am beyond miffed.

And Ireland lost the rugby to Italy.

DH is being very nice to me right now grin

frikonastick Sun 17-Mar-13 00:35:51

Dammit. First MONTH

thelittlestkiwi Sun 17-Mar-13 03:23:51

Anyone feel that? Geonet say it was under the volcano!

vvviola Sun 17-Mar-13 03:38:44

Yes we felt it! It took a moment or two to register what it was.

Made me realise that we really need to sort out emergency plans etc.

Does it make anyone else nervous that it was under the volcano shock

WhatSheSaid Sun 17-Mar-13 03:49:18

Oh, a quake? Didn't feel anything here.

lollystix Sun 17-Mar-13 04:05:56

I wasn't very good at geography but surely quake under volcano is not the best ?!

WhatSheSaid Sun 17-Mar-13 04:08:17

Wonder if AB felt it on Waiheke. What a welcome to the island...

Sibble Sun 17-Mar-13 04:11:48

Didn't feel anythind down South either, stuff says North Shore, West and Waiheke mostly felt it.

thelittlestkiwi Sun 17-Mar-13 04:21:48

That's what I was thinking WSS! Welcome to Auckland!

vvviola Sun 17-Mar-13 06:17:05

No no no lolly, you were supposed to come on and tell me in great scientific detail why an earthquake on a volcano is absolutely no problem at all wink

Hope AB is doing ok. Can't be a nice greeting to Waiheke!

justaboutalittlefrazzled Sun 17-Mar-13 07:08:08

My goodness I get all my news from here. Didn't feel the quake this pm - obviously Glenfield mall is too enthralling or concrete or something.

We did however love the Fire Engine open day at Devonport so thank you for that, the littlest.

thelittlestkiwi Sun 17-Mar-13 18:57:52

Oh good. Thought I'd sent you on a wild goose chase!

theartfulsoapdodger Mon 18-Mar-13 05:57:15

Hi all (crap at keeping up)

Gutted to have missed a fire station open day - do say if you hear of any others.

Ikea desks - I recently made my H bring one back from aus on the plane! And when my friend heard she decided she wanted one too. Serves him right for choosing to work in aus since the twins were tiny smile

Anyone know what you're supposed to do when a swaddled baby starts to roll in their cot, by the way? These are the best sleeping babies I've ever had and I'm convinced its entirely down to swaddling, will have to stop it though if not safe I guess.

Didn't feel the earthquake here southeast of the cbd, it's a newish concrete house though maybe it would be more noticeable in another house.

thelittlestkiwi Mon 18-Mar-13 06:05:36

Artful. I had a couple of things that helped when DD was tiny. First was a safe-t-sleep which you basically use to velcro the baby on their back.

The other thing I used when DD was a bit older- it was a sleeping bag which was sewn onto a sheet down the back. The sheet was then secured to the mattress with straps. It mean't DD could roll over and sit up but not try to climb out of the cot.

Have a look at the sleepstore for the safe-t-sleep. They are quite expensive but lots of them sell well on trademe. I borrowed mine.

justaboutalittlefrazzled Mon 18-Mar-13 06:36:15

Hi artful. Yes fireengine day was good (but rainy).

I could do with velcroing all mine into their beds but I guess they don't supply that kind of stuff for eight year olds??

This thread is not accepting new messages.