Delhi... could we do Delhi...?

(17 Posts)
AlicatDXB Wed 13-Feb-13 10:32:22

Anyone got any experience of living as an expat in Delhi? What's it like in terms of schools, lifestyle,general lifeability?

We've done a couple of Gulf positings and Singapore but Delhi seems a big leap to me. I love visiting but am well aware that livingout of a hotel on a business trip is somewhat different to living full time with DH and DCs.

Anyone??

AlicatDXB Wed 13-Feb-13 10:33:54

er that would be liveability not lifeability.

CajaDeLaMemoria Wed 13-Feb-13 10:35:59

I haven't been personally, but I've got friends who moved there with their 2, 6 and 9 year old children last July.

They had visited and loved the place, but found it quite difficult to find people who had made the leap, and I think they were a bit worried before they went that they'd made the wrong decision. They love it now, though. They've got a lovely house, the children seem very happy and are always sending pictures, and she's very happy with the schools.

This might not be helpful at all but I thought I'd say that it is possible!

KatherineKrupnik Wed 13-Feb-13 20:05:58

I've visited & thought I could happily move there. DD's godmother lived there for 3 years & really enjoyed it. She doesn't have kids but had friends with kids who were happy with schools, lifestyles etc.

marcopront Costa Rica Thu 21-Feb-13 17:25:52

There's another Delhi thread as well. I'm in Mumbai. I will try and remember to reply to you bother at the weekend.

Inthesleeplessnightgarden Tue 26-Feb-13 19:10:04

Have just put a long post on the other Delhi thread so won't repeat but in short we loved it and happy to try and answer any specific questions you might have.

oooh, Hello, I posted the other Delhi thread.

I'm pretty sure we can do it, if our company will bloody make up their minds!

I've emailed the British School www.british-school.org/index.php for advice on admissions etc..... they're heavily subscribed. They were also saying they'd put my currently reception, age 5.5yo into Grade 2 for the August school year coming :S, as they do it on age rather than where they are in current schools, that's something to look out for. As I understand it generally in India, schooling starts at 3, so by the time they're 5/6 they should be writing/reading very well.

I also was recommended a place called Domesteq for home help. I've emailed them to enquire about a Nanny and possibly a Tutor in case we are only there for the 6months our company seems to think so, and it isn't worth putting them in, or indeed we can't get into a school there.

Other schools are the American Embassy School aes.ac.in/splash.php a French school www.lfdelhi.org/ which my friend translating for me says it seems to offer a great program, and there is also a German school.

Our company won't let us drive over there, so will provide a driver, and also has certain rules about not using public transport or walking more than a block, basically we have to use the driver. Not sure why. I've been there on vacation and felt perfectly safe, but perhaps that's because we were in a group of about 10 with a local guide.

Thankyou inthesleep, just caught up with your post, very helpful!

I received a reply from Domesteq, they don't do Tutors, only Nanny/Ayah and other domestic staff.

"Salaries for English speaking domestic workers on an 8-10 hour shift typically run from Rs. 9,000 – 11,000 (plus overtime)" they haven't said per what? ie week, month etc..I've asked... They allso mention paying a stipend to help with rent and transport to work. Most of them want to live out with their families, and will work up until 6pm.

I've emailed this place re Tutors, this morningwww.tutorsindelhi.com/tutors_in_delhi.htm

AlicatDXB Mon 15-Apr-13 12:11:06

Hi HRN - did you/are you moving? We're moving by end of May. Fancy forming a mini support group if still headed there?

Inthesleepless - any thoughts on Gurgaon? I'd rather be in South Delhi but the office is in Gurgaon and my hours are going to be on the lengthy side

Can I join your group please? DH has just been offered a job there and we have to decide quite sharpish shock I have two children, 2.11y and 5 weeks..... Oh my head....!

Can someone link to the other Delhi thread please, I cannot find it hmm

Bump

isitwakeuptimeyet Fri 24-May-13 12:45:35

We've lived in Delhi twice - once before children, once with a baby and toddler. I wouldn't go there again with young children - it is really hard work and in my view dealing with the health risks, heat and hassle of having young children in that environment are not outweighed by the financial incentives of going, however good the "package" may be. But there are lots of young expat families there, and the childcare is excellent.

I would be going with a toddler and a baby shockblushsad

isitwakeuptimeyet Fri 24-May-13 21:55:15

I'd be very happy to talk to you about managing life there with very young children, including nurseries, schools, activities, where to live, domestic help/childcare etc either if you have already decided to go, or if you would like some more information to help base your decision on. Feel free to PM me!

Thanks isit, I will definitely pm you when I have a bit more time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now