Shanghai?

(4 Posts)
Alligatorpie Sun 20-Jan-13 22:42:33

Thanks for the info. My current employer has offered a promotion with really good benefits, so we may stay here another year. But shanghai will be a definite possibility for next year.

monbeausapin Wed 09-Jan-13 07:46:16

been here nearly 8 years and would definitely recommend for a 2 year stay. As Laptop said, easy to hire an ayi for help around the house and childminding (although ideas on educating children can be wildly different), excellent international schools (although pricey so best to check that out), housing is generally good and wide variety from appartments in the city to compound style housing (good if company foots the bill though). Another thing to look into well is health insurance as medical bills can be expensive here at the various international hospitals. Life is fast and can be challenging at times and you have to be prepared for the crowds which can be daunting but there's loads to see and discover and an excellent place as a base to go out and visit the country. Its really international today and easy to get your hands on most of the necessities from home - nothing like the place it was 12 years ago, even 5 years ago. For sure, 2 years will fly past, 8 years have for us

Shanghai is slam bang happening these days. Choice posting compared to Taipei.
Live in Ayis are easy to find and best way to get DCs to become fluent in no time!
If you have housing and schools sorted, go for it without any hesitation!

Alligatorpie Mon 31-Dec-12 16:26:25

We are thinking about a possible move to shanghai ( in very early stages of planning). Is anyone there? How do you like it?

We studied at university in China, in a city of about 250 000 people about 12 years ago, I didn't love it to be honest, but dh did. We were only there for one semester, which isnt very long. this move will be for 2 years. Dh has studied mandarin for years and although hasn't used it much lately, I am sure it will come back to him, which is very helpful.

We have also lived in Taipei (10 years ago) which I liked a lot more. How similar is shanghai to Taipei?

We have 2 kids now, any idea how hard it is to find a nanny? Our older daughter will be at school. Our employer will find us a flat, but I am not sure where it will be.

Thanks for any info smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now