Summer Sydney meet up?

(63 Posts)
bunnygirl80 Fri 28-Dec-12 09:44:45

It's about time we had another meet up grin

Just so we don't waste loads of time procrastinating about details, here's what I propose
1. No kids (usual exceptions for cute babies apply)
2. With booze
3. Sometime in Feb, at this stage I shall nominate Saturday 9th, although I picked this at random
4. Location: I liked the place we went to on Darling Harbour last time, the view wasn't as good as at Opera Bar, but less chance of sunburn too

Thumbwitch Tue 05-Feb-13 13:07:15

Yep, I'll be there but with accompanying not-so-small baby - had him weighed last week and he was 8.2kg shock - he'll be 4mo on Sunday! He's on the 97th centile - DS1 didn't hit that weight until he was ~10mo, as he was only on the 9th centile. Sooooo different!

CornishMade Wed 06-Feb-13 03:44:34

I'll be there!

bunnygirl80 Thu 07-Feb-13 08:27:03

There was something on the radio today mentioning that all city circle trains are being replaced by buses this weekend. Just thought I'd mention it in case that affects anyone's travel plans. abit I think the inner west line might be out of action too.

thumb amazing how you've had two such differently sized babies. My DS started out on the 20th, then hit the 95th by about 4 months...his growth chart basically shows a vertical trajectory until he hit 5 months and actually started tracking a curve!

Thumbwitch Thu 07-Feb-13 10:41:41

oh well that's just fecking marvellous, thanks RailCorp! Pretty sure I needed Wynyard station, didn't I? www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/city-circle-trains-closed-on-the-weekend/story-fn3dxiwe-1226572745481

Buses - they make you fold pushchairs, don't they... eek!

I suppose I could drive the whole way in and park at the Entertainment Centre; did that on Monday to see the Wallace and Gromit exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum (very good, btw!) and it wasn't too awful. I've just looked at the proximity, it's not that bad. Probably a 15/20min walk? anyone know?

Yes, DS2 went from somewhere around the 50th centile to the 97th centile by 8weeks; he's still on the 97th centile. DS1 neved moved off the 9th centile, couldn't be more different! grin

abithormonal Thu 07-Feb-13 11:24:43

Ok, so I can pretty much get anywhere cos I is inner west yeah.

Oh and I've never folded the buggy, depends on how busy the bus is, and to be honest cbd on a sunday is a ghost town so we'll probably be right.

Thumbwitch Thu 07-Feb-13 11:50:50

Izzat so - ok, maybe worth a bash then - I've only ever taken the bus from opposite QVB to Central and they made me fold it then but it was midweek and just before Christmas!

CornishMade Thu 07-Feb-13 12:21:55

I think I'll get a train to Central, then walk over. I could do with the exercise, and the time to myself for reading on the train!

Thumbwitch Thu 07-Feb-13 13:19:39

Ha. I am a tit. I can get the light railway from Central to Convention and walk from there. Easy peasy. Or, if I feel lazy, get the monorail from Convention to Darling Harbour. Only 142 days to go of the monorail so should be done, I feel!

bunnygirl80 Thu 07-Feb-13 18:51:41

You can get off the light rail at Pyrmont Bay and walk back over the bridge. You'll come out closest to where we need to be that way, but you need to get the world's slowest lift down to ground level, or take the buggy down a steep escalator. DS does about 8 bus trips a week, and has done for the last 18 months and we've only needed to fold the buggy about 6 times in total. There are a few non-accessible buses left, where you've got no choice, but as long the wheelchair spots aren't already in use you'll be fine.

Can you get a family fun day ticket if you're bringing DS2?

Thumbwitch Fri 08-Feb-13 00:08:39

Don't know - never tried it - would that cover light rail/monorail as well?

I was trying to see if there was a light rail stop at Pyrmont bridge, but that might push me over into the next fare category, so might still do Convention, depending on the cost. I did look at the bridge too, a lot depends on how my pelvis is doing though as to how far I'm willing/able to walk.
I'll work it out, no problem! smile

bunnygirl80 Fri 08-Feb-13 01:17:39

The family fun day ticket covers everything so you could just ride around on buses and trains all day if you wanted! Pyrmont Bay is closer to the end of Darling Harbour that we want, you get the lift up out of the station, cross the road, walk over the bridge, and then you're not far from Helm Bar at all. I think it's less walking distance than Convention.

abithormonal Fri 08-Feb-13 04:40:23

Yes yes to the family fun day ticket, $2.50 all the way from yours thumb, and use on the lightrail too, just because you have a not so small baby with you. Most most most excellent.

Also Pymont Bridge will be closer, but I have been a bit stuck in that lift so it freaked me out. I also got the first twinges of contractions with DS2 walking accross that bridge, fond memories.

abithormonal Fri 08-Feb-13 04:42:52
Thumbwitch Fri 08-Feb-13 05:17:55

ooo fabulous! thanks muchly smile

ComradeJing Fri 08-Feb-13 09:42:47

I think we're in.

It will be myself and 12w Ds.

What time was it?

ComradeJing Fri 08-Feb-13 09:43:22

Ah, I missed it -12:30

Thumbwitch Fri 08-Feb-13 10:35:00

Excellent news, Comrade Jing! Looking forward to meeting you (and you too Carolyn). smile

So - by my count, we have me, Bunny, Abit, RVP, Cornishmade, Carolyn and Comrade Jing - is that right?

I have messaged the other MNers that I have numbers for, have one possible in HighFibreDiet - she needs to check with her DP what their weekend plans are. No other positives (yet).

CornishMade Fri 08-Feb-13 11:48:46

Aaah, so sorry but I am now going to pull out of this one this time, ladies. Was looking forward to it. sad Thumb, will text you.

Thumbwitch Fri 08-Feb-13 11:56:15

Oh what a shame! sad Hope it's nothing too worrying.

CornishMade Fri 08-Feb-13 13:11:16

Just timing, priorities... Can't spare the day really, that's all.

Hi there Sydneysiders, I will be coming tomorrow with cute but rather large toddler dd - I didn't realise there was a no kids request but dh was grumpy enough about looking after the boys. Hopefully she will sleep in the buggy but I will leave early if she is awake and a pain.

Thumb - I have had the two extremes in sizes too. Ds2 was born at an average weight, went down to the tenth percentile and then dropped right off the chart. I haven't weighed dd much but she is decidedly chunky.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Thumbwitch Sat 09-Feb-13 11:46:08

Had a message from Cornish - looks like she might be able to make it after all, so there will be 8 of us, is that right? and 3 babies. smile

Thumbwitch Sun 10-Feb-13 11:27:23

Good to see those of you who made it today!

We managed to get the train home in good time, and amazingly I managed to get the extra space so didn't have to collapse the pushchair either - result! grin

Sorry that Bunny and RVP couldn't make it due to their health ishoos - but don't know what happened to Comrade Jing, so I'm asking here - are you ok, CJ?

CornishMade Sun 10-Feb-13 11:54:18

Today was nice, cheers ladies and I'm glad I changed my plans and came after all! Jobhunting can wait...

bunnygirl80 Sun 10-Feb-13 21:13:38

Gutted I missed it. I thought babies only interfered with your plans once they're out, but this one seems to be getting an early start. It was quite nice spending an hour in a room all alone with no toddler related distractions on delivery suite though grin

Maybe comradejing turned up, didnt like the look of you all and left grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now