OK, can we talk Christmas overseas?

(70 Posts)
ClaudiaSchiffer Tue 18-Dec-12 05:18:26

Hi I'm in Oz and am finally gettting my Christmas vibe on - 36 degrees today so not actaully "christmassy" as I know it, but I digress.

Can those of you who live in far flung places tell me . .

A. What are you eating on Christmas Day? I've been reading the main thread in the Christmas topic and it's all lovely roast goose etc. We're having prawns/oysters/salad etc But I need so good ideas, so tell me about your roast Antelope or stewed dragon fruit.

B. Who will you spend Christmas with if you're a long way from family?

C. Have you acclimatised to your present countries Christmas (or non-Christian) festivities?

Here in oz it's much more low-key than in the UK but I am enjoying the sunshine actually, makes for a great day with the kids running about outdoors.

Go on, tell me all, inspire me grin

Still hijacking grin

Maldives was fab, saw whale sharks, dolphins and we all snorkled. Dh did his rescue diver paid, kids love the kids club, I chilled out, perfect! Second trip there this year, think its belt tightening time but we had an excellent deal.

We go to Samui quite a lot but have been to Phuket and will try naka for our next beach holiday I think!

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Thu 27-Dec-12 08:20:17

Sounds great Burtrude, we've always had Christmases with friends, much more fun than with family! That's the only thing we missed this year, the party like feeling of sharing it with friends.

Bertrude Thu 27-Dec-12 07:05:33

Merry Christmas All from another in Dubai! I know I'm late but still.

We did JBH for our turkey after Emirates Golf Club sold out before I'd ordered it.

We had friends round for dinner. Bought in the turkey, roast spuds, roast veg and gravy from the hotel, and then I did a ham, 3 different starters, 4 more types of veg (including sprouts procured from Waitrose at Marina Mall), bread sauce, and mash. Was lovely spending it with friends, because it was so different to the usual family christmases. We have one of those tellies that you can Skype through so we all took turns on skyping home from it so all our parents could see everyone (we all know each others parents from visiting)

Having to book it as leave is annoying, especially as our company policy is that the entire team cannot be off. We are a team of 4, with me, 2 Indian Christians, and one British Muslim (with a Christian mother) so she always loses out on having the day off which is a shame as growing up she always celebrated as it was her mum's holiday.

highjack alert!
Butterflies the maldives remains our best ever chill out holiday as a family! Enjoy!

Having done Phuket hotels and villas to death for years we came here without too many expectations but just in need of a short haul easy beach holiday.
Its actually really good. Beats any hotel in Phuket bar the Amanpuri which is in a league of its own.
The location is great, no kids club but the staff really do make an effort to keep kids entertained with "back to nature" crafts/cooking classes/improvised ball games etc….
Its all very relaxed and rustic in a boho chic kind of way. Quite similar to the Maldives minus the lagoon.
The beach is great though and its right in the middle of the bay leading to Phi Phi/koh lanta etc… so its island after island on the horizon.
Definitely recommend!

echt Wed 26-Dec-12 00:29:52

Cardi. Actually, I AM taking a card to the Poms.

echt Wed 26-Dec-12 00:29:00

Had a lovely Christmas Day. Like yours Accidental, just DH and DD, with friends texting and emailing to say how lucky we were. grin Boxing Day now, and DD has hit the sales. I've made leftover trifle and sangria to take to lunch at Pommie friends.

Weather in Melbourne stupendous; 24 with a southerly breeze. Possibly a bit nippy for the beach, unless one lies down. I may take a light card for my shoulders in the evening. Because I'm English.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Tue 25-Dec-12 19:10:20

Merry Christmas all living overseas MNetters!
I hope you've had a lovely day. I was worried that our day would feel a bit flat but we've had a great time.
We managed to find most things required for a British Christmas lunch and had absolutely no stress all day as its just been me, my DH and DS.
How has it been for you?

Salbertina Tue 25-Dec-12 03:34:41

Merry Christmas from SA! Why am i awake before the kids?! hmm

echt Tue 25-Dec-12 03:01:55

Merry Christmas from Melbourne.smile

Up early doors to water the garden and walk the dog.

Otway ham and eggs breakfast. Pressie-opening followed when DD finally got out of her bed. We drew down the blinds and watched "The Woman in Black" on DVD as the Christmas frightener. We keeked ourselves. So strange to see our Aussie garden through the bamboo blinds: kangaroo paws, butterflies, while Daniel Radcliffe did not a bad job, actually, in a nicely scary film.

Lunch approaches, with oysters, prawns, spud salad and my DIY sangria. I can hear "It's a Wonderful Life" in the background. Lovely 22 degrees. Poifect.

Mery Christmas from the Maldives! Stockings opened, kids playing, dh just disappeared for early morning dive (it was his big wish to dive on xmas day) so heading for breakfast soon then snorkeling with everyone, Santa arriving and kids singing carols later on. Have a great day.

Laptop, always wants to go to naka, is it amazing?

ben5 Tue 25-Dec-12 02:46:33

merry christmas. sausage sizzl done on the beach now chilli at home with some ' breakfast' wine from Margret River yummy!! smile

Merry xmas from naka island , just 10 mn off phuket..... Santa alighted from a speedboat last night.....DD commented "poor chap! You must be melting! Why you not wearing a swinsuit?"grin
champagne brunch this morning..... All good!
Merry merry christmas!!!

Mosman Tue 25-Dec-12 01:44:58

Merry Christmas it's a hot one here !

TanteRose Tue 25-Dec-12 00:48:41

Merry Christmas, Claudia!

We had a wonderful 3 day Xmas weekend, including an extra holiday yesterday, and now I am back at work until Friday when New Year hols start smile

ClaudiaSchiffer Tue 25-Dec-12 00:40:20

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

Mid morning here in Oz, gearing up for prawn feast. Thinking of loved ones around the world.

Hope everyone having Christmas away from family and friends has a great one xxxxxx

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Mon 24-Dec-12 08:54:05

In France, so not too far away from the UK and home, but we are on our own this year, just me DH and DS.
We usually spend Christmas with good friends so it all feels a little flat. We are having a traditional roast turkey with pigs in blankets and roast potatoes. Just realised I have no goose fat for the tatties. May go exploring in our local shops to see if we can find some...

Shanghaidiva Mon 24-Dec-12 08:11:34

We are in China and will open presents in the morning, smoked salmon for lunch and out to dinner at 6pm. Decorations are fab here - and everyone on the supermarket checkout was wearing a santa hat today.
Love the fact there is no panic shopping and when the craziness that is Chinese new year approaches we will be in the Philippines.

Salbertina Sun 23-Dec-12 14:42:11

Oh ooor you sad, can sympathise having tried to sleep in 35c at night next to mosquito infested lake, all sharing 1room , no a/c and just one rusty, noisy fan... Call that a holiday?! Luckily otherwise fab...

Our (artificial) tree just fell down, even dog too hot to move and decided to make Christmas pudding cheesecake instead of real thing and to have cold buffet as much more comfortable in high summer!

echt Sun 23-Dec-12 09:30:16

Difficult to convey how vile it is wrapping pressies, putting up the deckers in 39 degrees in an un-airconditioned room with shite fans. DH, as a Geordie, scorned central heating in the UK, and now regards cooling systems as a jessie's game. hmm

It's evening now, with every door and window open, and no breeze. So now I have to close them all and switch on.

On the plus side went to very pleasant pre-Christmas scoff with nicely chilled wine and air-conditioning. grin

thanksamillion Sat 22-Dec-12 18:48:03

I'm in Moldova so Christmas here isn't really until Jan 6th as they use the Orthodox calender. But each year more and more people celebrate on the 25th as well grin. We'll be having turkey and various veg. The turkey is currently in the car as I have a tiny freezer and the only turkey DH could find was massive. It's currently about -15 outside though so it's still nicely frozen. We will definitely be having a white Christmas as we've got about a meter of snow.

We'll also be celebrating 'old Christmas' in Jan by attending a pig killing/eatinghmm

Mosman Sat 22-Dec-12 12:05:19

Our first Aussie Christmas so my plan is cottkesloe beach at about 7 am with a picnic breakfast and buck fizz for DH and I. And then we are having salmon and salad for tea.
So far it's not felt like Christmas at all, I'm just glad of the break really it's been a busy six months

Labootin LuLu's in Mushriff Mall in Abu Dhabi has tons grin So tell your DH to get in the car and get them himself if he's that worried grin

This is our first Christmas away from home and we are having a low key affair with our kids. I've just put up a tree, DH wnt out yesterday afternoon/evening and got all the pressies. Duck and trimmings on Christmas day. BBQ on the beach for boxing day.

vvviola Sat 22-Dec-12 06:34:07

I've just had a mini-meltdown as I discovered/realised that I won't be able to eat any of our Christmas dinner desserts (pavlova, trifle & a mini shop-bought pudding) due to not being able to eat eggs and dairy. Can't blame anyone else as I planned the menu. Shall have to either do an emergency re-think, or cut the Christmas cake (which is vegan) after dinner instead of our usual midnight-ish.

LoopsInHoops Sat 22-Dec-12 01:45:07

Got felt! smile

378 Sat 22-Dec-12 00:40:39

going to have a full on traditional roast in predicted 40 degree heat smile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now