Downgrading of Living Overseas

(45 Posts)
echt Sat 01-Dec-12 07:07:18

The addition of Home Decoration to the Homes and Garden section has bumped Living Overseas off the list as a reader checks in. It's subsumed in the ...... bit.

Any new reader would hardly automatically check out Homes and Gardens anyway as being the natural home of those overseas, but its placing in the list up until a couple of days ago meant it had some prominence.

It's the ONLY forum dedicated to MNers abroad, so can we have it re-placed on the list, MNHQ?

FellatioNelson Sat 08-Dec-12 16:31:30

I was just going to say the same thing about ads ISaw. Imagine if the topic were broken down into sub-sections by geography. There is a whole untouched market there. We have loads of expat forums that are chock full of advertising aimed at us, but the websites themselves are ok for basic info about the place in question but are not a patch on MN for atmosphere, freedom of speech etc. so I still come here. I only use the other ones for very specific info about where I live.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 08-Dec-12 16:35:11

I'm not sure it's big enough to be its own topic section to be honest - but like the idea of it being in either In The Club or Travel

Def not Homes and Gardens!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 08-Dec-12 16:37:05

I agree about the expat forums (and find them all generally quite unfriendly towards newbies)

I just like being able to shoot the breeze with bona fide MNetters who have relocated abroad, without clogging up chat with stuff that will be irrelevant to UK based MNetters

FellatioNelson Sat 08-Dec-12 16:44:42

yes, exactly Girl. Agree at the moment there would not be enough traffic, but it is an untapped market. It could get huge if it was promoted.

Although bang goes my anonymity here I think! It would be pretty hard not to go bumping into people on MN who I bump into in Doha all the time. grin

complexnumber Thu 10-Jan-13 17:54:22

So... Living Overseas is still part of 'Homes & Gardening'

Come on MN! Put this back where it may be noticed, and even serve a need.

It's been over a month since you acknowledged that this particular thread was in a wrong position.

Do something about it.

echt Fri 11-Jan-13 11:02:51

Come on, MN, upgrade us. At least get us on the bar. Good Housekeeping and Property/DIY should cover Home Decs. Don't see why the last needs a separate designation. You said you'd do something and have done nowt.

complexnumber Fri 11-Jan-13 17:21:06

Bump

Labootin Fri 11-Jan-13 17:25:03

it could be a useful diversion MNHQ from pouffy threads and the general weirdness of late .... Think of it a procrastination tool

I am a lover of lists and priorities ...

OliviaPeacein2013Mumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 13-Jan-13 09:20:12

Labootin

it could be a useful diversion MNHQ from pouffy threads and the general weirdness of late .... Think of it a procrastination tool

I am a lover of lists and priorities ...

grin Me too. Will see what I can find out for you.

LarkinSky Sun 13-Jan-13 14:01:49

Agree, more prominence for more traffic to this useful topic please smile

echt Thu 17-Jan-13 05:37:42

I've raised this again in Site Stuff. A bit galled to be relegated below Home Decs: pebbly shite and stuff.

mirai Thu 17-Jan-13 06:10:13

Yes let's put it in a proper topic and have it broken down by region please!!

TanteRose Thu 17-Jan-13 06:16:27

thanks echt!

hi mirai - how's things? cold and snowy, I guess grin

mirai Thu 17-Jan-13 11:07:43

NO!! Where is this snow that the whole world seems to be having?! Send it our way would you!!

mirai Thu 17-Jan-13 11:08:26

We had a bit of rain last weekend but apart from that we have been having beautiful clear blue skies and sunshine.... and it's absolutely bloody freezing!

Salbertina Thu 17-Jan-13 11:57:37

Baking here and definitely no snow, ever ... < drums fingers>

Thumbwitch Sun 20-Jan-13 22:56:35

Been filthy hot here on and off as well - currently cool and wet, which I infinitely prefer to the 44 deg we had 3 days ago! Looking like it's going up the scale again tomorrow, with high humidity as well - oh joy. My poor baby doesn't like it at all!

I am soooooo envy of the snowy pics on FB.

Tante - how's Japan these days? All the fallout sorted now or is there still some risk?

complexnumber Tue 22-Jan-13 09:54:20

And Living Overseas is back in the Premier League!

(Still looks a bit strange in Homes and Garden though)

gordonpym Tue 22-Jan-13 14:14:53

Thank You MNHQ!!!!

superfluouscurves Sat 26-Jan-13 15:19:40

Thank you for putting this back in a more visible place Mumsnet Towers!!

Much appreciated!!

(And such a life-line for keeping in touch with Blighty)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now