Have you/would you move overseas without going over first for a visit?

(34 Posts)
suebfg Sun 25-Nov-12 20:50:19

My other half has been offered a job in Dubai. We were hoping to have the opportunity to go over first for a visit, to check out schools and accommodation, but this is now not going to be possible in the timescales.

I've been to Dubai for a brief holiday about 10 years ago and my other half has been there lots of times on business. But it does seem a bit risky to take the plunge without going over first, particularly re the schools as DS is in a very good school in the UK.

Any thoughts appreciated.

mortimersraven Mon 26-Nov-12 09:52:39

Marjorie our accommodation was found for us for our first 12 months, we found our own after that. We don't have kids but all other parents from DP's company had their kids school places taken care of. But there are several good-quality schools near us, so places weren't an issue.

I guess it's different in Dubai. I don't even know what debenture is! blush

suebfg Mon 26-Nov-12 09:58:57

I have posted before re Dubai. It has taken over 4 months for the offer to finally come through, maybe longer!

Labootin Mon 26-Nov-12 10:12:02

Ah yes

TBH would you have enrolled your ds in his English school sight unseen ?

Pre kids I would happily chuck a spare pair of pants in a carry on and jet off anywhere.

Now is different and Butterflies mentioned it and I agree my priority was schools and wether my children were happy to move. There was no way I was having crying children on the plane.

Personally I would not have moved without being ABSOLUTELY happy.

suebfg Mon 26-Nov-12 10:22:41

'TBH would you have enrolled your ds in his English school sight unseen ?'

No way, I visited lots of schools before settling on the current one. It almost feels like I'm destined for failure as I am so happy with the current school that it is going to be very difficult to match it.

Labootin Mon 26-Nov-12 10:30:36

Then you have your answer.
You either find a way of seeing schools out here or you don't go.

ZZZenAgain Mon 26-Nov-12 11:37:39

It seems that you will have little choice wrt schools, so I would ask myself: if I move to Dubai and am seriously dissatisfied with the school options available to us, what will I do? If you have an answer to that which seems viable to you, I would go ahead and try it.

Alligatorpie Mon 26-Nov-12 18:57:45

I've lived in six countries in four continents, I have never visited a country first.

We are also thinking about moving to Dubai, and the lack of choices you have about schools is something that everyone mentions when you tell them you are thinking about Dubai.

BegoniaBampot Tue 27-Nov-12 11:47:00

We moved to Singapore without a prior visit. husband had been and I had spent 2 days there on a stop over 20 years earlier. Had a rough idea what it would be like and had been on expat web sites. It was fine. Depends on the place though, some places I would definitely have to visit first.

BegoniaBampot Tue 27-Nov-12 11:48:19

Think it's important thought to check out schools before hand. We had a small window to do that when we arrived and had a choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now