Hong Kong

(27 Posts)
Merlion Thu 22-Nov-12 09:52:35

Dh is about to start discussions for a position in Hong Kong for sometime next year. We've been in Singapore for over 5 years now and have 2 dc (4 and nearly 18 months). Dh is now on a local package and I'm guessing that would be the same for Hong Kong so we need to have an idea of costs for rent, schooling etc so we could ensure the sums made sense.

His job would be Central. We are used to condo living but have an older large apartment in a small complex at the moment do would prefer something similar. We have 3 bedrooms at the moment. I also work part-time and would hope to get a transfer.

Would appreciate any info on rent and I know I really need to get on top of the school situation after that but if the figures don't add up we will stay put for a while longer.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Wed 19-Dec-12 01:18:24

Best approach with schools is to call admissions, find out if there's a chance of getting in, and then visit those that might be able to help. Dont worry about your younger child as nearly all schools operate sibling priority, so the key is to get the older one in somewhere.

Some options are

- Kellett (British International School in HK)
- HK Academy and Harrow School (New Territories)
- The harbour School (small school that has traditionally been "overflow" but has an excellent rep. in itself)
- German Swiss (GSIS)
- Canadian International (CDNIS)
- Korean International School
- Woodlands (in case you dont get a school place, your son can start P1 at Woodlands) and Sunshine House

ESF is tricky because admissions are run on catchment basis so you need to know where you're living before you can choose a school. Maybe just call the admissions office at Bradbury School and ask them what the process is for you.

Another possibility - Are you on FB? Find a group called "Hong Kong Schools" and join it. The administrator is a woman called Ruth Benny. She runs seminars on schools and also offers a consultancy service. She knows much better than me where your best chances are. You could maybe arrange a phone consultation beginning of January to "shape your strategy". Not sure what she charges, but once you join the group you can PM her and ask her.

There you go, just start calling admissions. Its really no more than a waiting game in the end.
Lets talk this weekend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now