Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Scared and worried

(2 Posts)
quoteunquote Tue 12-Jun-12 12:18:16

Don't feel awful for being happy, I expect the arrival of a grandchild is bringing your mother great joy, one needs something positive to focus on when suffering cancer,

It will feel overwhelming at first, once you get started on treatment it will feel better, try to just focus on each day rather than the whole picture,

prepare for your mother suffering extreme fatigue, arrange support to allow her to just sofa surf, make sure it a really comfy sofa,with a lovely blanket one of the "tweedmill herring bone pure wool' ones, will be well used.

Make sure that someone accompanies her to all appointments, as it is very hard to absorb and retain information in this situation,

If she starts cemo, she will have a very low immune system, keep anyone with infections away from her, yourself included, it's really not worth getting infections,

who ever is in her support crew, make sure they really understand how to spot Neutropenic sepsis, It's hard for the person having cemo to spot, get a very good thermometer, best way to spot it is temperature change, the nurses will take you through this,

Take lists of questions to appointments, it amazing how hard it is to remember what your questions were,

If she does have cemo, don't let her drive , she will suffer cemo head, it's a bit like dementia,

If I think of anything else will pop back,

It's a long haul, try not to burn up all your energy stressing now, focus on each day. focus on the positives,they found it, they are tackling it. day at time will get you all through.

crazykat Tue 12-Jun-12 11:23:35

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but here goes.

My mum had just been diagnosed with cervical cancer and we're all worried. We don't know how bad it is yet as she still needs an MRI scan before the doctors decide what to do.

I don't know what to do and I'm so scared that we're going to lose her. I'm trying to be strong for my mum and dad and my kids but all I want to do is cry.

I feel so lost and I don't know what to do to help my mum feel better. I feel so guilty sometimes as I'm 20 weeks pregnant so I'm excited about the baby but then when I think about my mum I feel awful for being happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now