Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Just had a bill through for £665 from T Mobile. What can I do about this?

(13 Posts)
tiredemma Mon 29-Apr-13 15:15:24

This morning received a bill for £665 from T Mobile- Havent been with T Mobile for months so was surprised to see this bill through.

So I phone them and ask where its from- they tell me that it relates to a broadband 'dongle' that I took out on a 24 Month contract in November 2008. I paid every month without concern.

Apparently because I didnt give 30 days notice in November 2010 (which I didnt as I left the contract expire- was that a problem???) then I now owe them this money.

I have asked why I have received no other paperwork relating to this until today.

Im at a loss what to do next????

clattypatty Mon 29-Apr-13 16:02:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Notquitegrownup Mon 29-Apr-13 16:06:24

Agree - phone up and say you have a complaint and ask for the appropriate department. Take the name of the person you are speaking to. Sound calm and efficient.

Had a (smaller) problem with TMobile, but they were very happy to resolve it quickly when they saw I wasn't taking it lying down.

tiredemma Mon 29-Apr-13 19:31:37

thanks- the man I spoke to was the most unhelpful man I have ever come across. I asked for their complaints address and will also contact CAB. its so unreasonable-

PatriciaHolm Mon 29-Apr-13 20:00:44

The 24 month contract will have been for a minimum of that period; if you don't actually give notice, it will roll on, so in that sense yes it's a problem.

Can you find any of the documentation relating to the contract? You do need to complain about the ridiculous length of time it's taken them to notify you, but technically the contract is probably still running. Have you cancelled it now?

tiredemma Mon 29-Apr-13 20:19:03

Yes, its been cancelled now. I cant understand why they never sent me bills etc, or at least chased some form of payment earlier on?

Tiredemma Wed 22-May-13 11:28:56

Hi- Just an update really-

had an itemised bill come through- £600 worth of calls to Romania over about a month.

I phoned T Mobile and said that this isnt me- they said that 'someone' must have got hold of the dongle and took the sim card out.

I havent seen the Dongle since about march 2010.

Not sure how I go forward with this?

confused

Tiredemma Wed 29-May-13 15:59:58

CAn anyone advise how I may be able to deal with this. Im sick with worry about it.

I cant understand how Tmobile could allow a dongle that hadnt been used in excess of 2 years to suddenly rack up over £600 worth of calls.

3littlefrogs Wed 29-May-13 16:15:59

TBH they don't care. I had a similar issue with vodaphone. They knew perfectly well that the phone hadn't been used for 2 years, they made no attempt to contact me, then hit me with a threatening letter from a debt company. Apparantly, even though I had cancelled the contract over the phone with one of their sales staff, because i hadn't put it in writing that didn't count.

Have you no idea at all what you did with the dongle, or where you were when you last used it? If you can prove that it was stolen you might get somewhere. Presumably Tmobile can find out where the dongle is being used?

NicholasTeakozy Wed 29-May-13 17:08:35

Networks used to deactivate numbers and reallocate them if they hadn't been used for 6 months, so it seems a bit strange they're chasing you for money for a number that hasn't been used for 3 years.

LIZS Wed 29-May-13 17:15:33

but if the sim has been used occasionally then it would stay active. You need to locate the dongle really . Is there a regulator you can complain to , assuming you have exhausted their own complaints procedure or if it has run out of time. Have you moved since you bought the dongle /sim perhaps and they have only just tracked you down ?

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 29-May-13 17:18:53

Yes, I have a dongle with t-mobile and in the small printit says that the account and any remaining credit will be cancelled after 180 days of no use. (pay as you go though)

It's very unlikely someone would have stolen the sim card, because how would they know it's even on a contract? I reckon they've sold on the account and got you mixed up.

Tiredemma Wed 29-May-13 18:57:45

Ill have to contact them on monday (on holiday at the moment). The dongle hadnt been used since about feb 2010, although i continued to pay the 'contract' on it. Just really pissed off that they think its ok to chase me for this when its quite clear this is some kind of fraudulent activity. Even when i spoke to one of the customer service advisors she made it quite clear that this was quite common. How can they let this happen? Im assuming if i refuse to pay then it goes to a debt collection agency?
I asked pc world for a copy of my original t mobile contract. They cant find it hmm. I could cry. Just found out im 24 weeks pregnant. I dont have this money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now