Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

trying to make a guide for whoever has to deal with my estate after i die

(31 Posts)
bluetoothbrush Sat 23-Feb-13 16:58:26

hi.

i'm trying to make a guide for whoever has to deal with my estate after i die. i've just got my will already written. i just wanted to leave a little guide to go with that. i've never had anybody die on me, so just wondered have i missed out on any steps and/or are any of these bits wrong:

-

Relatives must register death with nearest registry (the hospital direct you where to go after the person has been pronounced dead).

After the person is pronounced dead, the hospital or medical body give you a medical certificate to take to the registry.

Hospital or medical body with both need ID.

Registry will need ID.

Relatives to contact solicitor.

Relatives bring in bank statements and bills to the solicitor.

Solicitor has to write to banks and building societies etcetera with death certificate to get figures to work out how much estate is worth.

When they have all this information, the solicitor sends it to the probate registry.

The solicitor gets grant of probate and send it to the banks, building societies etcetera to get the money in.

Whether or not a person is self-employed, solicitor instructs a legal ad company to put a death notice in the London Gazette and a local newspaper.

Creditors are given eight weeks to come forward.

With the values of the estate back, solicitor can see if the estate is taxable at the date of death. If it is under £325k, inheritance tax return doesn’t go in.

A regular tax return would still need to go in (solicitors often help with this anyway).

--

After death, relatives don’t have to deal with solicitor I've had the will drawn up with. They can do with it their own solicitor. My solicitor would just need the death certificate from the other solicitor, if needs be.

bluetoothbrush Mon 25-Feb-13 22:20:46

well that's that answered - much appreciated. i'll just leave the age-uk guides then, i guess and get on with my letters now.... thankyou fw.

btwo1 Wed 27-Feb-13 13:16:01

Yes those two "age-uk" guides do look good. I'll keep those aside myself, if people think they're up to the job?

-

I had another couple of questions:

-

I know to register a death, you need id, but do you need id at any stage before that? At the hospital perhaps? Maybe it depends if they die at home?

-

With somebody who's self employed - Is it different than from a regular person dying in any way? Or are all the processes exactly the same? Posting an ad in the london gazette and a local paper, giving the creditors 8 weeks.

Also I did wonder about national insurance contributions.

-

Thankyou

btwo1 Wed 27-Feb-13 20:54:49

ta.

t327 Sat 02-Mar-13 14:58:26

maybe mumsnet should put up a guide about this sort of stuff...

You really don't need solicitors to execute a small, simple estate. Obviously different if there are inheritance tax or guardianship issues.
I did MIL and my father's when they died. You don't even need probate in every case.
If the executor is capable enough they just need to know where to find documents.

bluetoothbrush Mon 04-Mar-13 14:46:41

yes those left behind may well do things on their own in this case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now