Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

I have to pay this parking charge, don't I.

(23 Posts)

Actually, the law did change last year and whilst previously it was unenforceable because if the registered keeper claimed not to have been driving, they couldn't pursue them. The government changed the law (thanks Tories hmm) so that now they can pursue the registered keeper regardless. Whether this will translate into prosecutions is unclear at the moment.

I got one earlier in the year and given the change in the legal situation, decided it wasn't worth just ignoring it. I contacted the supermarket where I had been (Aldi) to complain and they asked me for bank statements or receipts either showing that I had been shopping there on the day in question, or just that I did so on a regular basis. I did this and they immediately cancelled the charge. I would say it's worth a go at complaining to the supermarket in question and seeing whether they will waive it.

MortifiedAdams Thu 14-Feb-13 20:28:17

They can only fine you for loss of income. They dont get any income from parkibg so cant fine you for loss of nothing.

Monty27 Thu 14-Feb-13 20:26:49

Does it say 'Pro Forma' invoice?

I got sucked in and paid one at Aldi once, only to discover on here it wasn't reinforceable grrrrrrrr!

snice Thu 14-Feb-13 20:23:16

there is a standard letter on the Money Saving Expert website that you can download to send to them-I am on my third letter from them already grin

Oh well then - make a big fuss in a Victor Meldrew type of way!!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 14-Feb-13 20:16:11

Yes, I did the shop there. It was quite far for me to get there so can't go back to take photos. I might email the supermarket saying I won't be coming back.

If you didn't see it then if you really wanted to challenge them you could go back and take photographs of the sign and show that it's hidden from clear view or whatever.

Did you actually visit the supermarket? Or even at other times? I would also threaten to boycott the supermarket.

Basically make a nuisance of yourself.

MortifiedAdams Thu 14-Feb-13 20:05:13

Yeah but they are a cowboy business - I wouldnt trust anything a cowboy business says.

and is the letter the OP got wrong, that the law has changed? That's the bit that would worry me

mercibucket Thu 14-Feb-13 19:59:20

no need to pay unless you want to. do you want to? i wouldn't

MortifiedAdams Thu 14-Feb-13 19:48:47

The legal stance is that you only need to pay parking fines issued by the Police or the Council.

MortifiedAdams Thu 14-Feb-13 19:47:42

As someone whos workplace used to have Parking Eye, you do NOT need to pay this fine.

They will send letters persuing payment, then saying the amount has gone up, then that they have passed it onto X collection agency who will pursue it, IGNORE!!!

The letters will stop.

But, do not acknowledge the letter in any way. Dont contact the company. Dont lose your nerve.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 14-Feb-13 19:43:54

Ah, but there is are two photos of the car entering and leaving, both with times showing. And in mse website they talk about unfair charges. Would this one be fair?confused

bamboobutton Thu 14-Feb-13 19:41:07

They would have to prove they were out of pocket for that, as it wasn't pay and display they won't be able to.

They won't bother with small claims either.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 14-Feb-13 19:40:17

Thank you! smile

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 14-Feb-13 19:39:42

It's called parking eye.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 14-Feb-13 19:38:43

Really?! There was a blurb about the law changing last year and how they can pursue me as the car owner to pay that, even if I wasn't the driver (which I was). What if they send debt collectors to my place?

bamboobutton Thu 14-Feb-13 19:38:09
HondaJizz Thu 14-Feb-13 19:36:55

They will send you loads of letters which you will ignore. Don't bite. Their tactics are to intimidate you into paying. Just ignore, ignore, ignore.

HondaJizz Thu 14-Feb-13 19:35:50

Which company is it from? TPS?

Regardless, ignore it. Check out moneysaving expert website...all you've had is an invoice inviting you to pay the money. Only council and police tickets are enforceable. File it under R...

bamboobutton Thu 14-Feb-13 19:35:34

No, you don't have to pay. The only enforceable fines are from the council.

Money saving expert site has lots of very good info on it if you search.

ThonHoor Thu 14-Feb-13 19:34:38

Nope.

It's legally unenforceable. Only council parking fines are. Rip it up and put it in the bin.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 14-Feb-13 19:33:23

Just checking in case I don't but I doubt it. Parked un a supermarket car park for an hour and a half. Got a letter today saying I need to pay fine as there was a sign saying you can only park for an hour for free. I didn't see the bloody thing and now they say I need t o pay £70 or £40 if paid in the next 10 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now