Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is it illegal to impersonate a retired police officer?

(33 Posts)
sixlostmonkeys Thu 31-Jan-13 14:15:07

Just that really smile

six - I think you have to go through the Home Office to do a search and it won't be easy. Forms in triplicate etc wink
Can be done though

sixlostmonkeys Mon 04-Feb-13 11:33:23

justasmallgless? - I don't suppose you know if the police can easily determine if someone is a retired police officer? Are there records that they can easily search (nationwide search?)

cumfy Sat 02-Feb-13 13:03:27

You can just say:

All of the allegations made are entirely baseless.

(So long as they in fact are baseless)

I would submit a counter-claim for damages for the harassment.

PS I really would like to know all the details.grin

nefertarii Sat 02-Feb-13 10:20:13

Of course you can't charge someone that doesn't exist. However someone signed papers and created him. They can be charged with fraud.

sixlostmonkeys Sat 02-Feb-13 10:18:20

justasmallgless - thank you smile it's really good of you to offer help. I admit i feel overwhelmed. The budgets constraints have crossed my mind. tbh I am the type of person who generally doesn't 'bother' anyone as I always feel it's best to deal with something myself than to waste precious resources.
This whole saga is utterly utterly ridiculous BUT has reached a point now where I can't ignore it. I also think there is more to it. Police have told me an intelligence report would pick up any previous incidents.

I am at this very moment, trying to determine how to fill in my defense to the county court claim. I've read that I need to respond to everything - but the crazy woman has produced 39 pages of stuff! My actual defense should be a mere one line - but as I understand it if I don't respond to everything then it will be assumed I am admitting each and every claim to be true. So it looks like I have a big task ahead of me!

How do I know 'he' doesn't exist? I can't offer a quick and simple answer to that. I believe the woman who is now trying to take me to court has invented a man for the purpose of intimidating me. I have been receiving emails for a few months now, some from him and some from her. At times she has been using the 'wrong' email address. Email addresses are too similar. Other claims (that I can't go into on a public forum) are just too incredible and convenient (childish and bizarre) It's all very very complicated.....sigh

How do you know 'he' doesn't exist?

It sounds pretty horrendous six - harassment is taken really seriously now. There was extra guidance issued and stronger stalking laws introduced last year. I hope you are getting the service you deserve.
The trouble with fraud etc is that it can be tricky to prove and tbh a lot of forces don't investigate due to budget constraints. However when you throw the harassment into it then it should be taken seriously and further investigated.
Shout up if you need any further help on legal topic - good luck

44SoStartingOver Sat 02-Feb-13 09:48:04

Maybe it is an offence to pretend to be anything you are not in order to defraud someone - psychic, architect whatever?
Perhaps context is significant?
Going to fancy dress is fine, claiming influence and context might not be.
Eg retired police officer flogging house alarms?

sixlostmonkeys Sat 02-Feb-13 09:43:15

Justasmallgless - the officer I spoke to, when I said "is it an offense to impersonate a retired police officer?" replied swiftly "It most certainly is!"

BUt, like i said, I believe you.

I am submitting a defense for a county court claim - I have had to approach the police though because the person involved is seriously up to no good (and I want it all ending now....it's having too much impact on my life)

sixlostmonkeys Sat 02-Feb-13 09:38:21

I believe you both - though I won't be correcting the policeman who told me (because he was big and scary!) grin

They can't charge him anyway because he doesn't exist. He put his signature to the papers though.
Ask your dad if if someone who doesn't exist can be charged with putting his signature to official papers, harassment/threats and intimidation.
No, seriously don't (he'll think you have lost the plot) grin

hmm
As a serving police officer I would have to argue that one!!
As nefertarii says and I mentioned before, there is no specific offence for impersonating a retired police officer. However there are fraud offences which appear to have been committed. Maybe the officers you spoke to weren't very clear?

If you have to submit a defense for something I take it you are also going through civil proceedings? Have you got your own solicitor for this?

nefertarii Sat 02-Feb-13 09:20:59

Its a difficult one. Dad is a retired officer and says its not an offence. How what happening here is fraud. sp the man may be charged with attempted fraud. But can not be charged with impersonating a retired officer. There is not such offence. The offence is impersonating an officer.

sixlostmonkeys Sat 02-Feb-13 08:59:49

Hi justasmallgless - yes, the police will be dealing with the criminal side of this.

I still need to submit my defense to the court though which hopefully will not have to include all the stuff about the harassment and threats etc - just a simple defense of the matter in hand.

It was the police that told me it is an offense to impersonate a retired police officer

I can assure you it isn't an office to impersonate a retired police officer per se.
The only offence is that mentioned above which is for a serving police officer.

However it appears there are other offences being committed ie fraud or maybe harassment.
Have you reported this to the police as a criminal offence rather than a "defense"?

cumfy Sat 02-Feb-13 00:20:49

Well it would be attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Thankfully it's all documented.

cumfy Fri 01-Feb-13 23:47:16

<lurks>

nefertarii Fri 01-Feb-13 18:41:07

How do you know for a fact he isn't?

MOSagain Fri 01-Feb-13 08:17:40

ooh, is there another loon in Surrey?

sixlostmonkeys Thu 31-Jan-13 17:49:00

No not Surrey - don't say there is another nutter on the loose!

curious now....... the woman's surname begins with P - does the Surrey one?

FashionFail Thu 31-Jan-13 17:30:33

Is this in Surrey, by any chance?

sixlostmonkeys Thu 31-Jan-13 16:58:47

I shall be explaining all in my defense - but this will go on for months!

There are more serious indications of fraud contained within her madness so I now need to see the police (the real police not pretend ones!) grin to try and sort out the fraud

ajandjjmum Thu 31-Jan-13 16:50:21

I'm not surprised - although she's presumably ill. Can't you explain to the Court what has happened?

sixlostmonkeys Thu 31-Jan-13 16:43:18

honestly - you do not want to know any more details. I am dealing with the most bizarre woman!
> she created a man to send intimidating emails telling me to send money to the woman. then the pretend man claims on court papers that he is retired police officer blah blah

see! you don't want to know grin

In all seriousness though - this is taking up a lot of my time and is really getting me down

MOSagain Thu 31-Jan-13 16:34:35

Yes but in what way are they gaining any advantage by claiming to be a retired police officer? Loon!

NellyBluth Thu 31-Jan-13 16:28:50

Blimey! Still amazed that this person is claiming to be a retired police officer, what a bizarre thing, of all the jobs they could claim why that? What an idiot to lie on court papers. Hope this all works out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now