Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

neighbours' extension, what are my rights?

(4 Posts)
Dawnporker Fri 07-Dec-12 15:51:25

Leading case on this point (private nuisance / building works) is Andreae v Selfridge & Company Ltd (1937) - it basically says that you have to tolerate a 'reasonable amount' of disruption. No easy answer.

digerd Fri 30-Nov-12 19:35:07

During the winter months builders finish at or before 4pm, when it gets dark.

Anifrangapani Thu 29-Nov-12 19:53:45

I would knock on and ask them to consider asking them if their builder can keep the noise down after half 3. Solicitors letters usually result in a pissed off neighbour for many years.

mouldyironingboard Thu 29-Nov-12 19:47:08

Today I've received a letter informing me that our next door neighbours plan to build an extension. I don't object to the plans but am worried about the actual building work.

I am a self-employed music teacher and can't imagine trying to teach while there is loud drilling in the background. Do I have any legal right to ask for work to be restricted during certain hours such as between 3.30 and 5.30pm?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now