Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Cafcass Injustice

(57 Posts)
gingerbiskit Mon 13-Feb-12 20:03:09

My son had a meeting with a Cafcass officer and he was asked to write a letter to the judge stating his 'wishes and feelings' regarding access times with his dad. The next day he told me his first piece of paper had been taken away by the Cafcass officer (because he'd written something she didn't want him to) and he was asked to write it again. I'm furious.

suehimsworth Sat 01-Dec-12 11:27:20

Hi we also have had trouble with cafcass.. I found this e petition on line that runs out in April so I signed it and am trying to promote it everywhere so others will sign it too we need to get an awful lot of signatures. please sign and add to your facebook or any other sites you use epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32956

3xcooked chips, only read initial posts and slightly of thread but I fail to see how if a large twelve year old could be forced to physically walk to school or forced physically out of a car.

I've worked in this situation and seen parents desperate and in talks with school and education welfare to get their refused to school.

I have seen parents who have tried everything and every punishment in book.

I've seen a mother dragging her kicking and screaming eight year old to school and it taking them an hour and both arriving at school in tears.

I have seen education welfare officer turn up with head teacher for a 14 year old girl at her house and go away without her.

Honestly ten year old dd is sen and as big as me, if she decided not to go and kick off physically I would struggle to get her there.

So your comment about if he refused school is a bit mute really.

Sorry just realised how old the post I replied to was oops!

01lander Mon 10-Dec-12 23:57:50

I'm not being funny, gingerbiskit, but I don't believe half of what you've said. The amount of people I know who've used the "I can't physically force them to go!" excuse is ridiculous. Also, I get the impression that the children sleeping over at their dad's on the Sunday night is more a petty squabble over CSA than anything.

MissCellania Tue 11-Dec-12 00:01:27

that was 10 months ago hmm

ccreamegg Sat 09-Feb-13 22:26:53

I have also had unpleasant dealings with CAFCASS. I am not accusing them of being corrupt but I do believe that they can write inaccurate and biased reports. A cafcass officer can basically write their own interpretation of a situation which is not based on fact. The interviews are not recorded on tape which I believe that they should be so that what was discussed can be checked in the event of a disagreement. The report is not discussed with you and agreed before being submitted to court in a lot of cases and in my particular experience, the questions that myself and my children were leading questions and not open ones. The questions we were asked were designed to direct us to the outcome that was easiest for them. In my case certain comments from me and my children were completley ignored. I personally felt bullied by the Cafcass person that came to see me. I found him to be completley insenstive to our situation.

I think that changes to the system and the way that Cafcass are able to operate needs to be reviewed and changed ASAP. I have found the below petition if anybody has had similar experiences and wants to try to do something about getting things changed

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/signatures/8811339/verify/4fKQLhOdt7K9dWdmsEx5

ccreamegg Sat 09-Feb-13 22:29:34

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32956

(if link on my last post does not work)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now