How do you encourage kids to look after things

(9 Posts)
notnagging Sun 23-Dec-12 17:54:11

I don't replace things they have broken & they are not allowed to take things without permission. The house used to be 'zoned' so certain things in each room. Now the oldest three don't have much toys except for Lego it is easier. They have a box each to keep their 'precious' stuff in & they are not allowed in the front room without permission. I have often gone in their to find it trashed. They know now if they do they are not allowed in. That said I sat my dh down & said the state if the house was not acceptable & I expect him to support me. But that said he makes more mess then them!

NAR4 Sun 23-Dec-12 17:41:01

I do the same as HDee but my hubby lets them get away with anything and moans at me openly in front of them about being a miserable old cow. He still doesn't seem to realise that we don't have an endless supply of money. Like EMS husband, mine is def the biggest kid I have and even gets told by the older teenagers to grow up. It is the main cause of arguments in our house.

Unfortunately mine do seem to have got worse with age rather than better.

EMS23 Sun 23-Dec-12 08:52:19

I'd have to get rid of DH. He allows football in the house, jumping on furniture, never makes them tidy up and breakages are usually replaced by us.
Drives me insane and causes many rows but the kids think its great because they have his support.

HDee Sun 23-Dec-12 08:10:54

I don't allow rough and tumble type games. I make sure everything is packed away when they have finished using it. Any abuse of DVDs, CDs, games etc results in them being taken away. Everything is kept organised and tidy so things aren't accidentally trodden on or tripped over.

Just because I have five boys doesn't mean I have to accept that my house and possessions are destined to be destroyed.

I make my home sound like a bundle of fun, don't I?

3b1g Sun 23-Dec-12 08:09:58

3 boys, 1 girl.

forevergreek Sun 23-Dec-12 08:05:08

Boisterous behaviour is only allowed outside here. Keeps everyone sane, and house peaceful

Stepmumm Sun 23-Dec-12 07:56:16

Thanks 3b, glad to know its not just me. Would you happen to have a houseful of boys?!

3b1g Sat 22-Dec-12 22:03:22

I agree that this is v.annoying and it drives DH mad too.
We do deduct pocket money as a contribution towards replacing / repairing items.
It's the wear and tear on the house that gets me.

Stepmumm Sat 22-Dec-12 13:03:59

If you've lots of boisterous kids how do you encourage them to take care of their and their siblings possessions? They don't mean to break stuff just aren't gentle kids!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now