Families of three children

(28 Posts)
Nigglenaggle Sat 15-Sep-12 20:50:44

OK I know there is a similar conversation already going on but didnt want to hijack that thread for my own questions. Am considering whether to go for two or three and wondering about the practicality of it.
People with three children, if you dont mind, would you be able to tell me:

What car do you have and whats the furthest you've taken all of them in it?

How difficult is it financially day to day compared to when you had two?

How do you find it getting away on holiday? Most seem to cater for families of four and feel it would be much pricier with three. Wheres the most exotic place you have gone as a family?

Do you worry about paying for their education (not worried about private schooling as have good normal schools in the area but as we are both university educated its likely more than one will want to go) and do you have a plan?

What is the best and the worst thing about having three?

Sorry to be nosy but just really do not know what I want to do....

toddlerama Sun 23-Sep-12 21:19:37

Ancient Citroen Xsara. We have driven about 3 hours in it. Would do more.

How difficult is it financially day to day compared to when you had two?
No harder yet as I'm a SAHM and DC3 is only 5 months. I'm sure it will kick in...

How do you find it getting away on holiday? Most seem to cater for families of four and feel it would be much pricier with three. Wheres the most exotic place you have gone as a family?
Haven't been on holiday since I was pregnant with DC1. I think this will be an issue. We can't afford flights for everyone. I tihnk we would have to drive but financially it's just not on the radar for the foreseeable.

Do you worry about paying for their education and do you have a plan?
We home educate. It does cost money and it costs more the more you have. I don't worry about it. If we can't afford a particular event or trip we don't go. None of our friends who home ed go to everything that's on so it's not something the DCs complain about. They will have to be self funding for uni. I was - it keeps you focussed on the academics and what exactly you are there for. Even if I could pay I'm not sure I would...

Hearing them play together and call each other 'best sister' (that's better than a best friend) is heart melting.

Worst thing is as soon as I start to BF the baby, everyone starts saying they're hungry/thirsty!! What do they actually think I can do about it at that moment?!!

BoffinMum Sun 23-Sep-12 21:31:43

Renault Grand Scenic, pootle all over Europe in it, usually 12 hours maximum though.

How difficult is it financially day to day compared to when you had two? Not really any different.

Brittany (big gite), Austria (many Kinderhotels have family apartments in hotels that sleep 2 adults and multiple children), Turkey. We have ditched package tours.

Do you worry about paying for their education (not worried about private schooling as have good normal schools in the area but as we are both university educated its likely more than one will want to go) and do you have a plan?

Nope, I expect them to take out all the loans as this is a pretty cheap way of funding it.

Best - people think you are superwoman (I actually have four now)
Worst - getting out the door in the morning

BizarreLoveTriangle Sun 23-Sep-12 21:57:35

We have a Seat Alhambra and a VW Jetta. We've driven to the South of France before.

We never really had two (step-children were living with us at that time) but one extra doesn't really cost much more food-wise. Dc3 is just a baby, though, so that may change.

We haven't experienced this as dc3 isn't really old enough for us to pay very often yet, but I can imagine it is harder. The furthest we've been since having dc3 is Italy.

I do worry about University, but they'll just have to be independent at that time. You can't not have another based on University fees.

Best thing: there is always one who is in a good mood.
Worst thing: if you're on your own, you can't hold all their hands at once so one is always free to run away, it seems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now