How long before the first "Google Street View" divorce?!?!!

(95 Posts)
morningpaper Thu 19-Mar-09 13:49:34

Google now has street view

This is amazing! So much detail - wow!

They are supposed to have blocked out number plates but you can read around 1 in 3 very clearly on my mother-in-law's street. I'm sure it won't be long before someone finds the wrong car outside the wrong house....!

Squirdle Fri 27-Mar-09 19:08:36

And you can look right at my friends house in Southampton, she won't be pleased!

Squirdle Fri 27-Mar-09 19:01:11

Wow, I can see my old house in London! How wierd!

Can't get my house here though, but tis obscured by a big hedge so I will be safe when they do come round!

I can understand people getting upset by it, we can't do anything now!

<Squirdle peeks out of the windows to see who is watching>

pecanpie Mon 23-Mar-09 11:47:21

I am on there - hee! My face is blurred but dd's isn't really. The pic was definitely taken last summer. Not bothered about me being on it, but really don't like that my house is there.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 22-Mar-09 21:36:45

OMG shock...I'm just looking at my house and apparently my friend was visiting that day as her car is in my drive. They must have been taken a while ago though as I changed my car nearly a year ago.

I had no idea this was even on the cards <luddite> let alone live.

nigirl Sun 22-Mar-09 00:54:47

Theyearofthecat I totally agree. We were one of those pepole whose security was compromised. I dread to think how easy it is to track someone now.

edam Sat 21-Mar-09 23:00:16

Isn't there a danger in explaining to google why you want the building de-listed though? Because then people at Google know where all the Refuges are... Damn blasted Google and their stupidity.

noonki Sat 21-Mar-09 22:28:45

Ilovetiffany that's just the sort of thing I am I dreading [Sad]- would you be happy to contact google or the refugee and ask them to remove the house?

I will ring all the places I know around here and ask them to do the same. And even though it was taken six months ago it can take far longer than that to be rehoused.

GypsyMoth Sat 21-Mar-09 21:30:54

Noonki. I just viewed the refuge I stayed in when fleeing dv!! Zoomed right in too. But strangely enough, I can't view any of the police stations I've worked in!

noonki Sat 21-Mar-09 21:26:47

I work with people fleeing domestic and other types of violence. I find it very worrying.

I just looked around my neighbourhood and recognised to 'blurred' people. Would take much to recognise your ex partner and kids.

winnithepoor Sat 21-Mar-09 21:20:27

My adobe flash player needs an update so I don't do a link right now but I was nosing at expensive streets in London earlier. Apart from noticing how many poncy white stucco houses had "For Sale" signs up, there was real actual bunting up on the railings in Holland Park grin

TheYearOfTheCat Sat 21-Mar-09 21:12:59

Nigirl, not just police stations - imagine the thousands of people whose personal security can be compromised by this - if someone was planning an attack they don't even need to leave their home to target an address.

angry

Very arrogant. Huge invasion of privacy. I don't think you should be allowed to publish images of someone's private property without their consent.

nigirl Sat 21-Mar-09 20:51:36

Totally irresponsible. Over here in Northern Ireland they are kicking off, understandably given the recent situation, of how much detail of police stations, barracks etc google are showing and the number plates that are recorded going into and out of those places.

edam Sat 21-Mar-09 20:45:07

Good point. Could be very dangerous for some people.

It's a huge invasion of privacy. And why the hell should people have to waste their time on Google's website in order to protect reclaim the privacy that should be theirs in the first place? Just a way of generating traffic.

I work in publishing - we have to get consent forms from every case study and model. Can't see why Google can publish this without seeking permission. Blurring faces is not enough, anyone who knows you will be able to recognise you.

If you live in one of the cities covered, hope you weren't pulling a sickie yet out of doors on the day Google came past...

Idrankthechristmasspirits Sat 21-Mar-09 10:30:56

this is wrong on so many levels in my opinion.
For example my dd's father has a court order stating that he is not allowed to know dd's or indeed my address and is not allowed any contact. In reality we think he is probably dead (long complicated story) but at the time of the case we had many mutual friends/acquaintances.
All he would have needed is a town name......

There are many others in the same position as me.

And aside from the safety issues for individuals, i don't want to be part of the big brother movement. What happened to my right to choose where and how images of me and my famiy are used?

I feel the whole thing smacks of arrogance and complete inconsideration tbh.

DebInAustria Sat 21-Mar-09 06:42:29

We found mil putting her bins out, you can see her very clearly but her face is blurred.

SamJamsmum Sat 21-Mar-09 06:20:08

My son and I are standing outside our house but luckily a tree is hiding our top halves. The van taking pics must have been quite tall.
The BBC report some of the pics asked to be hidden immediately were a bloke entering a sex shop and someone being sick.

nooka Sat 21-Mar-09 04:29:38

I think it's fab. the pictures are mostly from a long time ago (our street was done with my To Let sign up so last March-May). Faces should be blurred out, but the software they use isn't perfect. Anyone can ask for their face to be blurred and number plates too. It wouldn't be much good for finding out if someone had an affair - a couple of images from at least six months ago is highly unlikely to cause that many problems. It's been running in the States now for a while - great for finding your way to places I find because you can spot the visual landmarks in advance.

LEMAGAIN Fri 20-Mar-09 22:10:16

its a bit much really - i have a friend on the internet, i managed to look into his garage!!!! describe his house to him - oh yeah!! he looooved that hmm. We dont have it around here (thank god - fecking state of my house - note to self: do the front garden!). Looked in my MILS front window.

I no like it

Rosieglow Fri 20-Mar-09 21:25:11

The google car came round our road about 6 months back when we were all (me, DH, DS & DD) out on the drive. Of course we all stared gormlessly at the weird car with camera on top....can't wait to see that picture on streetview now.

Actually, will be pretty P-off if they show us (& especially the kids) not blurred.

It's not showing up yet so will have to keep checking.

Has anyone asked their picture to be taken down? DO you have to have a reason?

worley Fri 20-Mar-09 21:18:13

some the pictures are quite out of date, they have my sils house as waste ground in USA even though her house was built a few years ago, it is the right area as can see all other roads correctly,

worley Fri 20-Mar-09 21:13:18

is this not the same as microsoft virtual earth ??

wobbegong Fri 20-Mar-09 20:34:14

Fuck me, I can see my husband walking into our house with a rucksack on his back. He is turning around to the camera presumably wondering what the van is with a big camera mounted on top!

Thank god I am not having an affair or it would be clear for the world to see.

For some reason I am outraged that someone has taken a picture of my husband and my flat and my window boxes and my dustbins and posted them on the internet. Can I ask them to block it out or do I need a "good reason"? other than, I don't like it, it feels weird, you never asked me.

How odd - the house they reckon is my MIL's clearly isn't hmm. Right number, right street, right town - wrong house and the surrounding houses aren't here neighbours' either. Looks like they've got their house numbers wrong.

Let's hope courier companies don't start using this!

beanieb Fri 20-Mar-09 16:19:04

I have found my house, my car and my numberplate!

LouIsAHappyLittleVegemite Fri 20-Mar-09 13:14:51

ohh ok I was getting all excited there for a minute, don't know why, nothing happens on my street. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now