Goodbye Dubya, here come the Barack and Michelle show...

(292 Posts)
mrsbaldwin Tue 20-Jan-09 16:43:18

... and straight to the important stuff - she is wearing a dress by a Cuban American designer.

Switch on the telly right now and have a look at it all if you can

I thought he looked frozen to death up on that roof !

abraid Wed 21-Jan-09 10:21:04

Yes--he looked very jolly. Must be some good parties going on.

Highlander Wed 21-Jan-09 10:20:04

I've never seen Huw Edwards looking so happy. He normally looks like such a dour bastard when doing the news.

abraid Wed 21-Jan-09 08:51:45

I thought Bush acted with a great deal of grace through the handover. Nothing in his presidency became his as well as his leaving it.

My son keeps accidentally talking about the first half-white president, which gives a rather different perspective and made me realise what it would mean to ME as a white woman if nobody had ever been in charge of my country before now who had any of my racial characteristics. Interesting.

I wonder if anyone has yet complained that his daughters have had a day off school and it's setting a bad example to take children out! Somewhere on MN, someone probably has...

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 21-Jan-09 08:40:25
Maria2007 Wed 21-Jan-09 08:30:53

Barry????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

jenk1 Tue 20-Jan-09 23:33:03

bush is doing his boo hoo speech now

moondog Tue 20-Jan-09 23:19:52

Barry????

Jeez,that's put me right off.

patspeed Tue 20-Jan-09 23:16:45

His friends and family call him Barry

I heart Barack Obama and made my kids watch it today - they were interested

but Barry nooooooooo

haven't read the thread but just wanted to make it a matter of record that i tried to watch the inauguration speech but i couldn't hear a thing for my 18mo waving a toilet from the doll's house in my facing and incessantly shouting "toilet! toilet!" at me angry

when she's prime minister i will not fail to remind her of this incident at every possible opportunity.

LOL

Have to say that I am really impressed by how well the two little girls have done.
It must have been such a long day for them and completely life changing. With the added difficulty that their parents will not have been able to focus on them to support them through it all.

They are either two very well brought up girls or they have been bribed!!

LOL

Have to say that I am really impressed by how well the two little girls have done.
It must have been such a long day for them and completely life changing. With the added difficulty that their parents will not have been able to focus on them to support them through it all.

They are either two very well brought up girls or they have been bribed!!

Waswondering Tue 20-Jan-09 22:50:12

I read earlier that they will head home at 2am (7am our time - just in time for Breakfast News!).

I vote for them to sit in their White House bedroom, look at each other in happy exuberance, and fall exhausted into bed, him wondering where to start with the world and her where to start with making the White house a family home!! Can't decide whether or not it would be a night for hot passion or if your feet would hurt from standing/dancing all day and night, and your face hurt from permanently smiling so it would be a relief to just collapse with no pressure!!

SmallShips Tue 20-Jan-09 22:46:23

If it was anything other than my husband becoming pres of the US i would of faked a headache and thinned out for a cup of tea in bed by now.

Probably...maybe she ordered a special thermal version!!

The covered viewing platform has quite a few empty seats now...everybody else must have given up and gone in out of the cold. I wonder how much longer she will need to stay to watch the end of the parade?

I would be needing the bathroom, a cup of tea and a nice chocolate biscuit by now!!

SmallShips Tue 20-Jan-09 22:36:45

I thought that too, she looked a little too bulky up top, i expect they have kevlar(sp?) on

It looked to me as though she was wearing something thick under her dress...she kept catching the material with her hand. Just her top half though...wondered about a bullet proof vest?? Didn't look comfortable, like it was twisting under the material of the dress.

bagsforlife Tue 20-Jan-09 22:31:46

I just kept thinking HOW COLD SHE MUST BE! Everyone else severely wrapped up.

Do you think she's got thermal underwear on underneath everything?

Obvs OK now they are in covered 'viewing platform' or whatever, but when she was walking?

SmallShips Tue 20-Jan-09 22:27:31

Dark red or maybe a dark purple. She is beautiful, her husband ain't bad either.

Maria2007 Tue 20-Jan-09 22:26:30

True. It did look a bit like a carpet. THAT'S what it reminded me of.

I commented on it. I said it looked like a carpet!

Maria2007 Tue 20-Jan-09 22:19:08

She's such a sexy lady, I think she should have worn something in dark red. (And by the way, I vote for the fantastic white house sex for later tonight!)

SmallShips Tue 20-Jan-09 22:17:26

Well i wouldn't wear it, but then again there is little chance of me being first lady anytime soon, urmm anyway i think she looked lovely.

Maria2007 Tue 20-Jan-09 22:16:21

But apart from the dress & the poem (ffs) I cried too during the whole thing, especially when he took the oath- so adorable when he got confused btw! Am I the only one who has a tiny Obama crush???

Maria2007 Tue 20-Jan-09 22:15:18

am surprised nobody has commented yet on michelle's dress. So what did we think of it??? Am a bit hmm about it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now