US Election Watch - we'll be here for a while!

(677 Posts)
taliac Tue 04-Nov-08 16:58:32

After the success of the all day / night London Election party we had earlier in the year, who fancies one for the US election?

Lots of nothing news so far from the US - some polling stations have long queues, but others don't! John McCain says tomorrow he "will be the President of the United States!" Sarah Palin is "very optimistic!" Hilary Clinton is predicting a big Obama win! Obama has been playing basketball!

Its going to be a good one..

lingle Wed 05-Nov-08 21:05:05

love this thread!

guyFAwkesreQuiem Wed 05-Nov-08 16:05:05

hehe LoR - I've removed the matchsticks (they kept breaking) and replaced then with the ladder I use to get into the attic grin

Unfortunately no early night for me - I have a meeting tonight

Tell me about it Lady - just got back from a school trip - I'm fuzzy with exhaustion.

bl**dy hell wmmc I forgot it was flipping bonfire night!!! hope the packet of sparklers in the garage does indeed have some sparklers in it.

LadyOfRoffle Wed 05-Nov-08 16:03:49

Did anyone see the fella with the cardboard Obama! Bet he made a small fortune...!

LadyOfRoffle Wed 05-Nov-08 16:02:25

Cor, I am shattered! Very early night tonight I think! Was hoping Obama would get Alaska, but oh well.

ilovemydogandPresidentObama Wed 05-Nov-08 14:29:26

lol who moved! First time in over 8 years, I am soooo proud to be American smile

And not scared to talk in public lest anyone notice my accent shock

sallystrawberry Wed 05-Nov-08 13:35:10

I managed to stay up till just after Mcains concession speach, so I'm just getting to see Baraks Obamas speach and oh buggerations I'm crying again.

justabouthowlsatthemoon Wed 05-Nov-08 12:29:44

Yay! Well done Obama and FAQ!

It's a good job it's Bonfire night tonight. Otherwise all those effigies of Sarah Palin would be going to waste grin

Wonder what she'll do now........I'm thinking parenting guru in waiting hmm

guyFAwkesreQuiem Wed 05-Nov-08 10:48:33

and even better is that exH (who sat up to watch the last 2 elections) and usually follows it avidly was away with work last night and hadn't seen the news - so I got to tell him on the phone [sticks tongue out]

flummery Wed 05-Nov-08 10:44:30

Sterling effort, FAQ. It was easy from down under (though I missed the concession speech due to school run and had to google it).

I liked Obamas speech, but then I'm feeling pretty sentimental.

guyFAwkesreQuiem Wed 05-Nov-08 10:14:09

oh well <<<<<<<readjust matchstick>>>>>> that's good then grin

Well I was having a nice cuddle with DS3, he was snuggled up next to me quite happily and I was dozing - and then my twanker exH rang me and woke me up grrrrr

Niecie Wed 05-Nov-08 09:23:14

I don't think anybody else survived without a power nap or two, FAQ. I could be wrong. If I am you'll have to share your award.smile

guyFAwkesreQuiem Wed 05-Nov-08 09:19:37

right DS1 and 2 are at school, DS3 has had his milk and I've changed his nappy - CBeebies is on, he has a bowl with Sugar Puffs in blush, and I am retiring back to my sofa again to doze/rest (well as much as he lets me as he likes to come and clamber over me grin)

ledodgy Wed 05-Nov-08 09:12:37

Oh I'm so very very happy but so very very tired! DD is not well enough to go to school this morning and i'm secretly quite glad. blush

MrsMattie Wed 05-Nov-08 09:10:03

Good morning all. can I just say:

ARGHHHHHHHHH YAYYYYYYYYY WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ahhhh

That feels good.

President Obama. Fantastic!

guyFAwkesreQuiem Wed 05-Nov-08 09:08:06

<<<<<<<<<<<<adjust matchsticks holding her eyes open>>>>>>>>

I don't think I was the only one was I? I stayed up until after the his speech - but am sure there were others up too

Niecie Wed 05-Nov-08 09:06:18

Morning (again) ladies.

What a night! Nothing like a good election to get the blood flowing.

Mind you I am knackered this morning. Can't imagine how FAQ feels - I maybe wrong but she was the only one who saw it all the way through, wasn't she? I think she deserves the MN Award for Dedication in the Face of Sleep Deprivation.

As a matter of interest has anybody seen a reaction from George W. He may have been on his way out anyway but it really shows what the Americans thought of him after 8 yrs.

Lets hope he slides into obscurity and doesn't decide to go on world lecture tours or become a special negotiator for the UN somewhere. That we can do without.

Swedes Wed 05-Nov-08 08:53:53

I hope there will be a real change in America's foreign policy.

FeelingLucky Wed 05-Nov-08 08:32:28

Morning!
Went to sleep after Ohio was called and my sixth sense woke me up at 4am to the sound of McCain's concession speech (hate to say, it was much better than Obama's speech - he was back to old McCain).

Now, let's just hope that Obama lives up to all our expectations ... doubt it, but better than a Republican president. And 100 times better than Bush.

themildmanneredaxemurderer Wed 05-Nov-08 08:25:53

i went to bed and dreamt about it. dreamt that we lived ithe states and that louisiana had not voted-the entire state and we were building bonfires in the streets to protest. a woman put some moose antlers on the fire and i was collecting wooden stuff from 'goodwill' poits to burn. miranda from sex and the city was there....grin

sophable Wed 05-Nov-08 08:21:56

expat will be so happy.

thritbies Wed 05-Nov-08 08:21:29

Yay! Me and dd slept on a sofa each (didnt want to move her). Suddenly woke up and turned tv on- it was 13 seconds to the 4am call- how spooky and lucky is that! Then watched till end of Obama's speech. Also had a blub. Just turned TV on this am and said to ds aged 6 that this is the new president and how important it all is. Am so glad I got to see the actual moments, will remember it always.

themildmanneredaxemurderer Wed 05-Nov-08 08:19:44

good morning!!!!! wish i'd stayed up and watched!!!!! but duty calls and all that!!!
what fantastic news.
have just been trying to explain to ds1 WHY this is so special. explaing about segregation and stuff.

brilliant.

Mhamai Wed 05-Nov-08 08:08:30

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now