Nice to know the courts take domestic violence so seriously... not.

(91 Posts)
McEdam Tue 21-Aug-07 22:04:31

man brands his wife with an iron and walks free

Outrageous. Apparently the judge said the husband was too busy working to do a community sentence, and wouldn't offend again because his wife had left him. Good grief.

McEdam Wed 29-Aug-07 13:34:12

Me too. Apparently the offence is 'not serious' enough. angry

"In this case, Colin Read was sentenced for 3 offences of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, contrary to Section 47 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861. I am sorry to say that this offence is not one which is within the scheme, and so the Attorney General is unable to take any action on this case. Whilst I understand the concerns you have raised about the sentence, the Attorney has no power to intervene in relation to it."

I asked if they would warn the judge that the AG had received complaints, or whether judges have any training about domestic violence. And was told 'that's a matter for the Ministry of Justice'.

Clearly men and women are still not equal in the eyes of the law. Outrageous.

McEdam Wed 29-Aug-07 13:36:50

Maybe I should email my MP and ask him to take it up with Jack Straw...

WideWebWitch Thu 30-Aug-07 18:53:54

This is fucking outrageous.

When the fking fuck will 'domestic' violence stop beign treated so lightly?

WideWebWitch Thu 30-Aug-07 18:54:22

I think we should all email our MPs.

LittleBella Thu 30-Aug-07 20:50:16

Will our MP's care though, if the legal avenues have been exhausted?

It is incredible that such a light sentence can be allowed to stand.

SueW Sun 02-Sep-07 13:27:23

Colin Read's been sacked.

Here

Difers Sun 02-Sep-07 13:35:41

Good, at least the company he works for have done the decent thing.

policywonk Sun 02-Sep-07 13:52:40

Huzzah! It's not justice, but it's a start.

tazmosis Sun 02-Sep-07 19:52:16

A relative of mine was stabbed to death by her husband - in front of her daughter who was 7 at the time. He got 3 years - she'd provoked him apparently by nagging him.

If he'd embezzled (sp?) thousands from his employer he'd have got about 15 years.

Its appalling.

McEdam Sun 02-Sep-07 19:55:05

You are right, sadly.

Glad Read's been sacked but it's not enough, really, is it?

Feminist12312 Tue 19-Feb-13 03:42:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

WhichIsBest Tue 19-Feb-13 04:34:11

//Pats Feminist on the head//
Yes dear.

Thumbwitch Tue 19-Feb-13 05:36:35

Ahhhhh, I see who has resurrected the zombie thread now. Wondered why. hmm

BobbyDarin Sun 24-Feb-13 03:35:58

Doesn't look like his career suffered much.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/colinread

Spent a bit of time being freelance and has what appears to be a series of other high paying jobs.

gingerchick Sun 24-Feb-13 03:54:17

And she got back with him and he blacked her eyes so obviously he thinks hes above the law
I spent the best part of two years going to
Court when I was assaulted by my then partner he was convicted and given a 200 pound fine but he appealed and got let of, apparently because I touched him first ie tried to push him out the door I was asking for the broken arm, fingers black eyes broken nose etc will never have any faith in the justice system ever again sad

gingerchick Sun 24-Feb-13 03:56:03

* tried to push him out the door because he was threatening me and had taken the phone out the wall

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now