"behave yourself, woman.” - Alex salmond

(78 Posts)
stolenview Thu 04-Jun-15 20:08:04

I don't think talk like that has any place in modern politics. Why do SNP supporters say they are so differentand progessive forward thinking? Just the same as them all.

http://order-order.com/2015/06/04/alex-salmond-everydaysexism/#_@/TZcI-AlbeUKVvA

MrsHathaway Thu 04-Jun-15 20:31:35

Actually, I don't mind as much as I thought I would before I watched the clip. I think it's a dialect issue rather than a sexism issue - I imagined his saying it to a male MP and ending it with "behave yourself, man" and it would come out just the same.

OrlandoWoolf Thu 04-Jun-15 23:35:40

behave yourself, man

You'd never hear a bloke say that.
You wouldn't hear a women say that to a bloke.

It's a statement with a very loaded "woman" at the end. It's the way it's said, the context and the implied meaning.

Why the word "woman" at the end? Why even use it?

It's the same as "Calm down, dear". "Calm down" is ok. Possibly. But "calm down, dear" is a put down and know your place.

MrsHathaway Thu 04-Jun-15 23:41:03

It's Scottish, I maintain. I take your point, but I think the use of "woman" and "man" as a sort of fond ribbing is what matters here.

If Cameron or Burnham had said it I would be absolutely fucking livid.

MrsBarryAllen Thu 04-Jun-15 23:57:30

I think its a dialect thing too. I'm scottish and saying that with either man or woman at the end is normal to me. I've said the exact words ("behave yourself, man," to my DH on more than one occasion. Usually as a lighthearted thing.

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 05-Jun-15 00:01:44

Orlando, I hugely admire you and the way you have conducted yourself over years. But this time, you're wrong. It's just Scots dialect.

And it's not because Scots are more misogynistic than rUK. grin

AgentProvocateur Fri 05-Jun-15 00:02:57

I would also say. "Behave yourself, man/woman", in a lighthearted way. I'm scottish too.

OrlandoWoolf Fri 05-Jun-15 00:05:03

I don't think he'll be saying it again in Parliament.

Should he have offered an explanation? People misunderstand or misinterpret.

Cloudhowe63 Fri 05-Jun-15 00:05:07

Also Scottish and don't consider this sexist, just a turn of phrase and can be used for either gender.

TheFairyCaravan Fri 05-Jun-15 00:07:03

I say "behave yourself man/woman". I come from Gloucestershire, now live on the East Midlands.

I would have called Anna Soubry a lot worse, tbh.

OrlandoWoolf Fri 05-Jun-15 00:07:21

How do you think the person on the end of this comment perceived it?

If you are used to it,it's banter (to use a certain phrase)

If you aren't used to it, you could take it in the wrong way.

Cloudhowe63 Fri 05-Jun-15 00:07:28

Behave yourself, woman. It'd be a dull world if we had to explain every turn of phrase. smile

Frecklefeatures Fri 05-Jun-15 00:07:49

Yes, dialect. Husband also often describes people as "wee man" or "wee woman" even if they're really tall so it could have been worse. ☺

MintChocAddict Fri 05-Jun-15 00:07:59

I think Alex Salmond is an arse however have to agree that in this case it's maybe a Scottish thing. Hadn't really occurred to me before but thinking about it I use it too. Usually in an affectionate jokey way. e.g. 'come on woman, hurry up' to a friend who is taking ages to get ready or 'come on Mrs let's get moving'.

OrlandoWoolf Fri 05-Jun-15 00:08:47

I think you probably should if someone takes it the way you've not intended and you've caused unintentional upset.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 05-Jun-15 00:11:14

If it has to be explained, I don't think it should have been used.

Behooven Fri 05-Jun-15 00:12:45

I can't abide the man. His reference to Charles Kennedy's views on the Union were beyond the pale. BUT even I don't think he meant to be sexist, he is a bit patronising though - in a very equal way, to both men and women he disagrees with

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 05-Jun-15 00:15:22

Orlando, Anna Soubry has previously described Salmond as a man she wouldn't want to meet down a dark alleyway. Her body language when she shared a sofa with him on, I think, one of Alex Neil's programmes (maybe Sunday Politics? Not sure) was hilarious. I doubt the comment "behave yourself, woman" would have distressed her much! grin

MrsBarryAllen Fri 05-Jun-15 00:15:35

Well you're not going to know it needs explained until after you've said it, are you?

I don't he'd have said it if he thought it would be taken badly. He might be an eejit but I don't think he's stupid enough to throw sexist comments in parliament.

RJnomore Fri 05-Jun-15 00:16:33

My friend used to work in media and she reports him as being a patronising sexist twat.

Which I can fully believe.

I'm Scottish and I've lived in Aberdeenshire and up and down the west coast and also spent lots of time in Edinburgh and its not a turn of phrase in any of those places.

MrsBarryAllen Fri 05-Jun-15 00:18:26

Well I'm in Edinburgh and it's definitely used here. I probably know less fancy people than you, RJ. wink

CocktailQueen Fri 05-Jun-15 00:18:54

It's a Scottish thing, not sexist at all. Can be used for either gender.

OstentatiousBreastfeeder Fri 05-Jun-15 00:19:34

I always say "oh do fucking behave yourself, woman/man"

It's snippy and satisfyingly patronising.

funnyossity Fri 05-Jun-15 00:20:59

It's not only a dialect thing it's also a putdown thing.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 05-Jun-15 00:21:08

He started off with some mansplaining, got a bit narked, then moved into a wee bit of patronising shit stirring.
Did we all miss the bit where he Suggested she was 'demented' too?

Sakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now