Coal under North Sea could fuel UK for centuries

(17 Posts)
claig Mon 31-Mar-14 09:18:14

Great news.

"Scientists have discovered vast deposits of coal lying under the North Sea, which could provide enough energy to power Britain for centuries.

Dermot Roddy, formerly professor of energy at Newcastle University, said: 'This is thousands of times greater than all the oil and gas we have taken out so far, which totals around six billion tonnes.

'If we could extract just a few per cent of that coal it would be enough to power the UK for decades or centuries.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2593032/Coal-fuel-UK-centuries-Vast-deposits-totalling-23trillion-tonnes-North-Sea.html

They have been trying to tell us for years that we are "running out of resources". Were they lying?

Will the green scare tactics be ramped up to fever pitch to try and stop us progressing and accessing coal?

claig Mon 31-Mar-14 09:26:44

They released their latest IPCC document today. It's the same old, same old. Some doom and more gloom.

Love the way the Daily Mail has released this article on the same day. I hope Farage reads it so that he can use it in the debate with Cleggy.

Isitmebut Mon 31-Mar-14 10:40:09

Claig….I believe that you main point here is “were they lying” about running out of energy resources

Based on the vast changes in the world’s geology over millions of years, I’d have thought that if they found oil and gas under the North Sea, that there would be a coal.

So I don’t think that ‘they’ were concealing a state secret; may I suggest the key reason may be in this sentence?
“Energy companies have previously ignored them because they were seen as inaccessible.”

Do you remember the old P.G. Tip advert with the chimps on a building site and one says something like;
‘Here Harry, I hear they are looking for a good man with a pick axe to dig the Channel Tunnel’ and the other one replies, ‘lay off, I can’t swim’.

Well I thought of that as a practical solution to building more infrastructure, as we could build tunnels to more countries, including Scandinavia, extracting coal at the same time - but the government would need to put on the job spec that those applying, need to be able to hold their breath for a long time as well.

Which brings me nicely onto Mr Farage and his attempts to get Russian party funding into Ukip, sucking up to Mr Putin.

Like digging coal at sea, you need to know when it is smarter NOT to open your gob.

claig Mon 31-Mar-14 10:50:20

There's no need for snorkels.

"is possible to drill horizontally from land into the North Sea and vertically into the coal seam, which will be at depths of between 300 metres and a kilometre and beneath impermeable rock.

The scale of the reserves is remarkable: 2bn tonnes of coal, of which half may be amenable to gasification, is equivalent in oil terms to 4bn barrels of oil – the size of a Middle Eastern oil field.

Fracking and shale, the source of the revolution in the US, is an entirely legitimate and potentially lucrative unconventional gas exploration methodology, but UCG is potentially unique for the UK.

Fracking is not related in any respect to offshore coal gasification and remains to be proven in the United Kingdom. There will, of course, be challenges for the management of fracking companies in this country as there will be for the offshore UCG industry and anything else new."

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/10518072/UKs-next-offshore-energy-fortune-lies-in-coal.html

My guess is if Cleggy tries any green tricks in the debate, Farage will bat the truth straight back to him.

claig Mon 31-Mar-14 10:55:23

'Engineers are planning to sink the first boreholes into the seabed using a rig on the coastline around Tynemouth later this year.'

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2593032/Coal-fuel-UK-centuries-Vast-deposits-totalling-23trillion-tonnes-North-Sea.html

But as some astute Daily Mail readers have said in the comments section of that article - will the EU let us extract it, will some of the idiots in charge let us or do they want to stop us?

It is now a battle for the truth and that is why the debate between Farage and Cleggy is critical for all our futures.

funnyossity Mon 31-Mar-14 11:12:37

UK coal are in the news looking for a financial bailout to keep current UK mines going.

This would imply to me that there is already cheaper coal available from elsewhere.

claig Mon 31-Mar-14 11:15:18

Good point, funnyossity.
Shame about coal. We should invest in it, but our green leaders prefer windmills.

VenusDeWillendorf Mon 31-Mar-14 11:22:06

NEWSFLASH: Wind blowing over the North Sea could power the whole world if harnessed. Now that's a "green trick"! wink

I can't believe some people still think climate change has nothing to do with burning fossil fuels. Don't you give a shit about what kind of life your kids and grand kids will have?

Time to have a rethink about old fuels like hydrocarbons. They're unsustainable, and damaging: and that's proven to be true, by science.

Why don't you go back to the dailyfail and peddle your soap box nonsense there claig. I don't think you're going to get many takers here.

claig Mon 31-Mar-14 11:25:01

'I can't believe some people still think climate change has nothing to do with burning fossil fuels.'

It's got nothing to do with it. It will all come out in the wash one day. Farage will be hailed as a national hero.

claig Mon 31-Mar-14 11:26:26

There's a programme about him tonight on Channel 4 at 7.30 pm.
They are advertising it as "the bad boy" of politics. It's because he tells the truth.

funnyossity Mon 31-Mar-14 11:43:53

Venus, wind?

If you had mentioned tidal you would have hasd more credibility.

bogwobbit Tue 01-Apr-14 08:53:03

Are you people (claig and funnyosity) insane? Or is this an early April fools? Please read www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26824943 to see exactly why we should leave these 'vast deposits of coal' exactly where they are and not wet our knickers about getting them out.

funnyossity Tue 01-Apr-14 08:56:09

You've misread my posts.

Wind won't solve anyones energy issues. .

bogwobbit Tue 01-Apr-14 09:00:51

I'm not saying wind is the only solution, although it may be part of one. What I'm trying to get over is that no matter how tempting it may be to extract these coal (or other fossil fuel) reserves, the only way that we stand any chance of avoiding catastrophic climate change is to keep them exactly where they are.

funnyossity Tue 01-Apr-14 09:01:34

I'm not disagreeing with you.

bogwobbit Tue 01-Apr-14 09:02:50

Good. And you're right, I did misread your posts blush Sorry about that.

claig Tue 01-Apr-14 09:20:54

"The costs of inaction on climate change will be "catastrophic", according to US Secretary of State John Kerry." grin

John Kerry. Yeah, right. grin

To be honest, I prefer Nigel Farage's view.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now