Philpott Case

(63 Posts)
SameDifference Wed 13-Feb-13 18:12:34

Listening to the Philpott case on the news. What a crazy life. Poor kids. And poor women.

GetOrf Wed 13-Feb-13 18:16:11

God knows if we can talk about this or not - I think this thread may up deleted mightn't it?

But I agree. It is utterly awful reading about what is being discussed at the trial.

meditrina Wed 13-Feb-13 18:20:50

It'll only be at risk if deletion if people start speculating beyond what has been stated in open Court, especially if such speculation is about guilt/innocence.

The family set up as described in court today was certainly unusual (to put it mildly).

TheCrackFox Wed 13-Feb-13 18:22:58

He strikes me as a deeply unpleasant person.

Not sure if we should be I think TheCrackFox sums it up.

GetOrf Wed 13-Feb-13 18:27:42

Yesterday's disclosure in court re what the police recorded on their surveillance was very disturbing. I don't want to repeat it here as I don't want to be thought prurient but it all seems so bloody horrible.

TheCrackFox Wed 13-Feb-13 18:34:22

Completely agree GetOrf, the police surveillance was especially grim and I found it very upsetting.

lljkk Wed 13-Feb-13 18:53:37

Would it be out of bounds if I speculated on what in the world about the man made him be so attractive to those women? I'll never understand what it is about some men, how they could ever pull anyone. The details that came out in court about their lifestyles, how did they justify it all to themselves at the time?

GetOrf Wed 13-Feb-13 18:55:43

I don't know. I assume that those women were very vulnerable (as well as incredibly young and influential). Perhaps they viewed that element of control as someone who loved and cared for them.

Auntmaud Wed 13-Feb-13 18:57:35

As Michael Stipe once said, anyone can get a shag if they lower their standards enough.

Some people just want to be loved though, I think its important to remember that. I dont think its about lowering your standard Aunt, some people will take love from anyone. (I dont mean that in a horrid way at all, I mean circumstances or background can influence who and how you accept love if that makes sense)

SamSmalaidh Wed 13-Feb-13 20:11:09

The mistress was only 17 I think when she moved in with him. I suspect young and very vulnerable - I bet she didn't have a happy childhood.

Auntmaud Wed 13-Feb-13 20:22:32

The whole situation is sad and depressing.
And the generosity of the welfare state enabled them to have so many children. Nice.

Geordieminx Wed 13-Feb-13 20:34:37

Can someone link?

Geordieminx Wed 13-Feb-13 20:39:55

Were the poor children that died the wife's or the mistresses? hmm

Chubfuddler Wed 13-Feb-13 20:42:21

His wife's. the mistress and her children fled by pretending to go out swimming.

There are dysfunctional families and then there's this kind of category of family. Words actually fail me.

Auntmaud Wed 13-Feb-13 20:43:05

They weren't a family. Please don't use that phrase to describe these hideous people.

ratbagcatbag Wed 13-Feb-13 20:43:36

The wife's children died, the mistress had moved out.

SamSmalaidh Wed 13-Feb-13 20:44:20

The wife's. The prosecution is alleging that after the girlfriend left taking her 5 children, Philpott and the wife tried to frame her for setting fire to the house, so they would get custody of her kids. They didn't intend for the 6 children to die, they were supposed to rescue them but allegedy set too big a fire. Have I put enough allegedlies in that?

Chubfuddler Wed 13-Feb-13 20:47:52

I think so Sam. Allegedly.

Auntmaud Wed 13-Feb-13 21:24:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Geordieminx Wed 13-Feb-13 21:28:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Auntmaud Wed 13-Feb-13 21:31:02

CarnivorousPanda Wed 13-Feb-13 22:14:17

Poor children, having to live in this awful environment.

lljkk Thu 14-Feb-13 07:45:42

I think what SamSmal said is what the prosecution allege, it's on public record.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now