why are the French involved in Mali - i don't undertand

(7 Posts)
Tortington Tue 29-Jan-13 10:03:16

any information greatfully recieved - not ure i understand why they have anything to do with anythng - am thinking its some old colonial type history linkage or something.

MrsMeeple Tue 29-Jan-13 10:24:22

Try:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Sudan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali#Foreign_relations_and_military

www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/01/2013111135659836345.html

Mali was once a French colony. France has a military presence in various bases in neighbouring countries. The president of Mali requested help from France in the current conflict.

Tortington Tue 29-Jan-13 14:42:37

thnaks so much grin

MoreBeta Tue 29-Jan-13 14:53:33

Wars are always about resources and especially energy.

I found this on a website.

France produces 85% of its electric from nuclear and hence uses approximately 10,500 tonnes of uranium each year. About 45% of that total uranium is mined in Canada and 32% is mined in Niger (a neighbor of Mali) by Areva, a company whose major stockholder is the French government.

For similar reasons, the US and other Western powers also have interest in North and West Africa - a major source of valuable light sweet crude oil. Militant Islam is seen as a threat to the control of those energy sources.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 29-Jan-13 16:53:55

I'm just loving all the references to Timbuktu. In my mind it's full of people in safari suits or fezes, lots of camels, bit 'Indiana Jones'...

therugratref Tue 29-Jan-13 16:57:19

The economist has an interesting analysis of the Mali situation this week. It's well worth a read.

Tortington Wed 30-Jan-13 02:15:48

thanks beta - that is ver interesting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now