Mary Beard again

(34 Posts)
sieglinde Tue 22-Jan-13 10:39:28

The hideous aspect of life in 2013 - not Beard, of course, but the right-wing misogyny of her tormentors....

Here is what she very bravely said:

timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2013/01/internet-fury.html#more

In a week where misogynists are sniffling over the demise of fat ugly stupid boring old Michael Winner, this reeks even more than usual.

JoanByers Tue 22-Jan-13 14:39:55

English teaching is a skilled job for which a native speaker is preferred.

Planting potatoes, or whatever they are doing in Boston, is not.

Women of all political persuasions are the particular target of misogynistic abuse, unfortunately.

flatpackhamster Tue 22-Jan-13 17:57:22

seeker

Oh good. When's it going to be the men's turn?

Apparently you missed the opening post of this thread.

seeker Tue 22-Jan-13 18:51:30

Yep. I missed Michael Winner's face being superimposed on a cock and balls, and the detailed discussion of his genitalia, pubic hair and sexual preferences.

Could you provide a link please?

flatpackhamster Tue 22-Jan-13 19:05:47

Jesus wept, seeker. If you want to see men being abused on that website, why don't you just go and look on it? As Mary Beard herself points out in her article, they're being abusive about Andrew Marr.

But this isn't about the nature of the abuse, is it? It's a way of keeping score, so's you can say "Look at the evil menz, they are the worserer, we are so oppressed because of patriarchals".

seeker Tue 22-Jan-13 19:15:08

The remarks about Andrew Marr have been taken down.

I repeat. Show me vile abuse of men of the type levelled at Mary Beard.

flatpackhamster Tue 22-Jan-13 19:15:45

Repeat it all you like, it's still a stupid comment.

seeker Tue 22-Jan-13 19:20:08

Why is it stupid? Are you saying that a man would be abused in the same way that Mary Beard was?

JoanByers Tue 22-Jan-13 21:13:10

The remarks about Mary Beard have been taken down too.

sieglinde Wed 23-Jan-13 08:09:24

Sorry, all, and especially Ellie - busy work day yesterday.

Glad seeker and in a way others saw the point of my remark about Winner - it was meant to provoke the discussion that's happened here. My point was just that male opiners are not held to the same standard of looks/youth as women in the public eye.

I didn't want to discuss immigration in Lincolnshire, because for me it wasn't the point; Beard could have said that aliens came from the earth's core and still wouldn't have deserved the hate-laden tirades she got.

And a man would NOT be abused in the SAME body-related terms as she was, though I take the point that these sites are generally for abuse of all kinds. I didn't know they existed, and I'm kinda sorry I do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now