Michael Winner RIP

(15 Posts)
JoanByers Mon 21-Jan-13 14:35:06
SusieP40 Mon 21-Jan-13 14:37:43

sad a larger than life character.

gazzalw Mon 21-Jan-13 14:38:57

That's very sad...Knew he'd given up his restaurant critic job for the Sunday Times but not aware how close he was to death....

Nooo, sad I liked him, even though he was a real grump, he was very funny with it.

JoanByers Mon 21-Jan-13 14:44:18

He had no prob with taking the mick out of himself in his column, they used to print all the insulting letters from readers next to it. He was only married about a year or two also.

threesocksmorgan Mon 21-Jan-13 15:36:16

very sad

ripsishere Tue 22-Jan-13 02:57:23

Sad, but my overwhelming image of him is his constant referrals to the long good Friday and friendship with Joan Collins.

Piemother Tue 22-Jan-13 03:57:18

He went to my school which he was always shockingly rude about. He was right in some ways though the food was terrible!

Viviennemary Tue 22-Jan-13 12:46:15

That is sad. I read his diet book which was more like a food diary and it was quite entertaining. I liked him on that programme where he had a meal at different people's houses and gave them a crit on it. There weren't very many episodes.

TheCarefulLaundress Tue 22-Jan-13 19:36:40

Didn't he direct the Death Wish films with the most violent gratuitous rape scenes in cinematic history?

zippey Thu 24-Jan-13 03:26:22

Quite an interesting and powerful interview with Michael Winner and Anne Raeburn on the overlong sequence and realism of the rape scene and film merits in Death wish 2. Quite shocking when Winner asks Anne if she had ever been raped:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ge2Slg56FI

Frizzbonce Thu 24-Jan-13 11:36:04

By all accounts he was an absolute monster to work with. However, the ghastly Richard Littlejohn once hosted a discussion programme where he invited a lesbian couple to ostensibly discuss their difficulties in adopting and of course threw all kinds of horrible mysogynistic abuse at them. He clearly expected MW to join in but on that occasion Winner said that the 'lesbians behaved with great dignity and you Littlejohn have behaved like an arsehole.'

gazzalw Thu 24-Jan-13 13:06:12

I think I've read that he could be very rude but that he could be the most kind and generous man too....

I remember seeing him having lunch with Jenny Seagrove in Kensington Place back in the early 1990s....(saw Janet Street Porter with her Sigue-Sigue Sputnik beau the same day)

torychicetc Thu 24-Jan-13 15:29:09

Having the critics letters published was braver than most public figures RIP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now