Oxford men accused of grooming/child-trafficking/ prostitution/raping/assaulting vunerable girls for as long as 8 years.

(27 Posts)
NameGotLostInCyberspace Fri 18-Jan-13 09:31:28

Case being held at the Old Bailey, the trial started on Monday and will last upto 3 months. If you are interested there is a link in the Oxford Mail Online where updates are reported from the court throughout the day.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/bullfinch/ or search operation bullfinch.

Pixel Wed 23-Jan-13 15:11:35

Why do these young women have so little sense of their own worth and no family/friends to turn to that sleeping with old men is the only way they can gain validation? Sad.
From what I've read the girls aren't 'sleeping with old men' out of choice. They are charmed and spoiled by a young man who they see as their 'boyfriend' and after that it gets ugly when they are plied with drugs and alcohol and 'supplied' to other men. They don't consent to that at all but by then it is too difficult to get away. One young girl was told that her house would be burnt down and her baby brother harmed, and was also beaten. She was too afraid to resist.
And to answer the question about self-worth, these girls are deliberately targeted because they are vulnerable. Many of them are in so-called 'care'. Probably they've had an upbringing devoid of any real affection (passed around foster homes without the chance to form proper family relationships) and have romantic notions about 'falling in love' and living happily ever after. They don't know that being showered with compliments and presents isn't the real thing, it must come as a terrible shock when their 'boyfriend' shows his true colours.

Tryharder Wed 23-Jan-13 18:07:13

That's what I meant, Pixel but said it much more eloquently. I find it sad that girls grow up with so little self worth that they would agree to these arrangements (at least initially).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now