Tesco beef burgers are 29% horse meat

(180 Posts)
JoanByers Tue 15-Jan-13 21:13:20

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2262961/Beef-burgers-contaminated-HORSE-MEAT-sale-UK-Ireland-supermarkets-including-Tesco.html

It's hardly a surprise now is it. If you are going to eat beef burgers costing £2.52/kg, they clearly can't be made of beef - beef costs more than double that price.

www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264291549

Cheap processed meat is just disgusting. Ham made from meat slurry (most ham on sale in this country), reconstituted chicken from Thailand (I found this in a sandwich on sale in the Co-Op).

GrimmaTheNome Tue 15-Jan-13 22:37:02

I doubt the retailers knew what was in them - but they should have.

Carling is of course right - we don't really want 'knacker's choice burger' even if we wouldn't necessarily mind honest horsemeat.

I ate these once, they gave me the trots.

Mutt Tue 15-Jan-13 22:38:21

CarlingBlackMabel - you are absolutely right of course.

Who knows what scabby old nags went into the Dobbin Burgers?

If the manufacturers aren't even owning up to buying horsemeat, I can't imagine whoever did source/supply it would be very scrupulous with regard to its quality.

DrSeuss Tue 15-Jan-13 22:40:06

You caught me on the hoof but nay! This is not the kind of thing to trot out at this hour! You canter be serious!

Meglet England Tue 15-Jan-13 22:41:37

At least horse is a natural product, I'd be more worried about the crap that goes into that sort of thing.

I'm (virtually) veggie so never eat things like that, give me a lentil burger over cheap meat any day.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 15-Jan-13 22:42:24

Ah. Deliberately misleading. Of the meat that is in them, 29% of it is horsemeat. So probably about 1% of the whole thing then.

As an aside, why would you object to horse if you eat cow?

Mutt Tue 15-Jan-13 22:46:47

"As an aside, why would you object to horse if you eat cow?"

Have you actually read any of the thread?

Twattybollocks Tue 15-Jan-13 22:48:17

I don't have a problem with horse meat, but I'd like to know which I'm eating. If they were labelled correctly as "meat pattys from unspecified animals" that would be fine.
As for horse meat being cheap, you can go to the new forest and buy a pony for £25 or less at the moment, that's for the entire horse, not just per kilo.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 15-Jan-13 22:49:15

The pig DNA is potentially problematic if you are pig-avoiding for religious regions, I would imagine.

Although the presence of the DNA doesn't necessarily indicate there was much pig in there, could just be a bit of contamination from the abbatoir.

I wonder if they looked for human DNA?

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 15-Jan-13 22:50:13

regions? I mean reasons. Can't even blame autocorrect.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 15-Jan-13 22:51:28

To Mutt, nope.

Glitterspy Tue 15-Jan-13 22:53:22

I'm horrified by the idea of ponyburgers. It's not a rational thing, I just am disgusted by the idea. Just glad I never ate one of these by mistake. How are horses being tied up in our food chain anyway when they're (thankfully) not even eaten in this country?

happynewmind Tue 15-Jan-13 22:53:37

"Sadly it's the short sightedness of our greedy society that people want meat to be dirt cheap"

I don't think its that with the cheap stuff, I think its more people having to buy what they can afford when lots of people are really struggling and worried about feeding their families enough to get a full stomach rather than what quality they are eating.

I don't eat burgers but im guessing the rich don't buy many Tesco value.

giraffesCantGoFirstFooting Tue 15-Jan-13 22:53:38

I am a veggie, and don't see the problem. If you can eat one animal, why not eat all animals?

WellingtonBoot Tue 15-Jan-13 22:54:23

Every little helps!

Valpollicella Tue 15-Jan-13 22:56:06

giraffes, absolutely. Unless your religion forbids you to eat others

Mutt Tue 15-Jan-13 22:58:03

giraffes - so if someone slipped a little ham into your lentil burger would that be ok and not worth complaining about?

After all, it wouldn't do you any harm. It's just something you choose not to eat.

Rather like people who would rather not eat horses...

I wouldn't eat seagull, and squirrel just doesn't seem worth the effort either but I'll try anything

Oh, I wonder if the 'beef' I had from Tesco last night was horse, it was a bit different in texture from what I was expecting. But I've never had horse steaks. What is it like?

I also don't understand the fuss about eating horses. It makes no sense at all. What about all the ickle piggy wiggies, and fluffy lambs? Does no one care about them?

I ate horse once on holiday as a kid. I can't remember what it was like. All I remember about that day is being violently sea sick (so not related to having eaten horse).

FIL was all excited about going on holiday to Peru and eating guinea pig!

whatphididnext Tue 15-Jan-13 23:01:41

I'll only eat a cow, you say
And I'd happily eat ten a day,
But anything that trots or neighs
You'd better keep quite far away.
They eat the ponies across the pond
But of that idea, we're not too fond.
We're English folk, so you see
We like to know what's in our Tea.

Valpollicella Tue 15-Jan-13 23:01:54

LRD, from what I remember horse is much more meatier, and more 'iron'some if that makes sense.

Richer than beef but not tougher as you might expect

Horse burgers cooked on a charcoal grill and washed down with several bottles of rose wine is bloody lovely. Well, from what I can remember anyway. It was a lot of wine.

JoanByers Tue 15-Jan-13 23:03:05

It's the process by which these products are made.

If you sell paperclips, and you find a new supplier that will supply paperclips 20% cheaper, you'll switch to them. And if you find another supplier next week who are 10% cheaper again, you'll switch again.

And so on.

Likewise with shit burgers, they will be trying to cut costs of their supply chain, and if that means getting horse meat in from Mongolia, or chicken from Thailand, they will.

Of course I imagine that these products are in use in the catering industry in kebab shops and the like - I know that many kebabs are made of pork, because it's cheaper, and yer average doner contains little or no lamb.

Branleuse Tue 15-Jan-13 23:03:58

I had horse burgers last summer. Not as good as i was expecting. A steak would have probably been better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now