to expect Beef burgers not to contain horse DNA

(10 Posts)
torychicetc Mon 21-Jan-13 14:38:30

It the psychological effect of horse meat. Thats why supermarkets spent millions saying sorry

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 16-Jan-13 13:57:36

A bit of a worry? This isn't a veggie vs omnivore issue. It's a matter of fraud, contamination and bad practise. No different to discovering that a bean burger contains chicken....

justmuddlingalong Tue 15-Jan-13 21:44:01

I agree Headfirst, if someone is a carnivore, I don't understand how they can be queasy about eating certain animals, unless it's the taste they don't like. It's just the mis-labelling that's a bit of a worry.

Dead horse is no different to dead cow to me. They both used to be living animals. Okay, food should be labelled correctly, but there's no need for outrage based on it being "gross" or "cruel" (Not you OP, this article has been doing the rounds on FB this eve much to the disgust of many grin)

LineRunner Tue 15-Jan-13 21:23:48

How do people think they get a small tray of minced beef at Asda for £1.40.

TheDeadlyDonkey Tue 15-Jan-13 21:21:17

Yet another reason to buy from a local butcher.
Better meat, mostly at a better price, and helps the local economy, everyone's a winner.

YANBU though, but tbh, anything that supermarkets do doesn't really surprise me any more!

WhatchuTalkinBoutPhyllis Tue 15-Jan-13 21:18:50

agree with avis

CassandraJuly Tue 15-Jan-13 21:16:16

1) Horse meat is more expensive, tastier and many believe healthier than cow meat, so, technically, you're getting your money's worth...
2) What do you expect? You think in these giant cull-houses they're meticulously keeping every shred of dead animal apart? Of course not, they're pumping that shit out as fast as possible just to stay afloat (despite what the picture of the ruddy-faced farmer on the packaging would lead you to believe, it's all industrialised.)
3) If you're really that concerned, then do what my grandfather used to do: go to your local butchers, put the beef in a mince grinder and make your own burgers with onion and sage. It'll be 1000 times tastier and you know what's going in your food then. Don't rely on Tesco.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 15-Jan-13 21:02:11

YANBU to expect it.

YABU to think the food industry won't lie at every available junction though.

justmuddlingalong Tue 15-Jan-13 20:57:53

According to the Daily Mail website, horse and pig dna has been found in beef products from a few supermarkets. Neigh kidding! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now