It's a shame it was in the Mail, but it's about time a mainstream paper covered this

(129 Posts)
ArielThePiraticalMermaid Sat 05-Jan-13 18:32:28

This is barbaric, revolting and upsetting and I don't like linking to DM articles, but it needs to be said and talked about and spread. People have been bravely campaigning against this atrocity for years yet it continues. Please be assured that every time you visit a place like SeaWorld that, no matter what they tell you, you are helping perpetuate this hideous, hideous trade.

I have talked about this on MN before and have had outraged mummies telling me I am trying to spoil their children's fun hmm

SingingSands Fri 11-Jan-13 18:39:06

Well done on starting this thread Ariel.

Since I was a child I have had a keen interest in whales, dolphins and sharks. Sharks really were my thing as a kid - I remember having lots of arguments about them with classmates and fighting their corner! I've sailed around the west coast of Scotland and seen close hand examples of each of these stunning creatures, and it doesn't come close to watching them in captivity.

A colleague I work with has just announced she is going on holiday to Florida and wants to do the Dolphin Cove thing. It wasn't the right time to speak up at work, but I will be making sure that she is fully updated about the practice of these places and hope she decides not to visit. As was mentioned up-thread, she can turn a blind eye if she wants but she can't say she doesn't know.

And my favourite dolphin story happened on holiday on one of the Hebriddean islands about 20 years ago. My cousin and I were sitting high up on some rocks above a beach, enjoying watching some younger children jumping into the sea and swimming from the rocks below us, when they started screaming "shark! shark!" and they all came bolting out of the water. We jumped up in time to see a dolphin, who had come along for a nosy gander, making her way back out to sea! And of course started shouting "dolphin! dolphin!" and grabbed our cameras - too late, all we got were photos of the sea! I've had all my whale, dolphin and shark experiences around the Hebrides, I'm very lucky!

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 11-Jan-13 18:40:08

grin

farewellfarewell Mon 14-Jan-13 23:56:23

Thank you for this info. I had no idea at all, it is disgusting. I am horrified that we took our two older children swimming with dolphins in a park in Potugal, near Villamoura. My son has an incredible knowledge of and interest in animals of all kinds. He is 11. The thoughts that he will look back on those pictures and feel disgusted is awful, those poor creatures. I have a close relative who has been involved with counting dolphins on our coast in their natural environment. She didn't know we took our children to this place but I'm sure she would have been sickened. Thank you for informing me.

Gingersstuff Tue 29-Jan-13 10:16:41

On a happier note today, Sea Shepherd has intercepted the Japanese whaling fleet within the international Whale Sanctuary but north of the concentrated population. They believe that not a single harpoon has yet been fired. It's already end January and if SS can keep up the pressure on the poachers then they are very hopeful that the bastards Japanese can be sent home without a single kill this season. Please keep them in your thoughts, an international crew, including Japanese, that are operating in very difficult circumstances trying to protect our great cetaceans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now